Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Count Roland posted:

-This. Generally the "opening" of China to the outside world, and specifically the Opium Wars I'm interested in. I'd rather non-academic myself, but I'll take whatever.

Try W.T. Hanes's The Opium Wars. I found it a good intro to the subject, and liked that a lot of attention and weight was given to the very deep cultural differences that helped exacerbate the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Bagheera posted:

Purchased, thanks. I imagine this will be a very depressing read.

Foner's Reconstruction is basically THE seminal work on the period, and yes, it will depress you. For an extra dose of gloom, try Stephen Budiansky's The Bloody Shirt and David Blight's Race and Reunion.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Zinn is crap. Read Foner instead.

Seconding this. There's a reason why Foner's Reconstruction is still THE text on the period, despite being published in 1988.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

Looking for a recommendation for the best book surrounding the JFK assassination.

Vincent Bugliosi's Reclaiming History is exhaustive, highly detailed, and has absolutely no time for conspiracy theories. (Hence many of the one star reviews on Amazon)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Riot and Remembrance: the Tulsa Race War and Its Legacy. Sad that the 1921 race riot is probably the most memorable thing that ever happened in Tulsa, and no one wants to remember it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

If you're interested in other historical graphic novels you really owe it to yourself to read Maus by Art Spiegelman which is about the Holocaust and Holocaust survival, and I also recommend Persepolis and Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi which are about the Iranian Revolution.

Also of note: John Lewis' March trilogy.

I want to say that earlier in the thread, several people recommended a book on the Sea Peoples and the Bronze Age collapse, but I neglected to add it to my library list at the time. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

history book thread!

I would like as many recommendations as you can give me about the Gilded Age and robber barons/railroads in particular.

Also, a handful of books on the Civil War/Reconstruction to properly contextualize the Gilded Age.

Eric Foner's Reconstruction is THE text on Reconstruction specifically, though for what you're wanting, I'd recommend Richard White's The Republic for Which it Stands, which covers from 1865-1896 and is a really good survey of the last half of the 19th century.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Looking for a good book on the Mexican-American War.

A Wicked War by Amy Greenberg is a good one.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is "The Republic For Which It Stands" comparable to "Reconstruction" by Foner? If so, which is recommended? Is the abridged version of Foner acceptable?

Also thanks Fighting Trousers for the book rec!

"The Republic For Which It Stands" covers Reconstruction, but only as part of a larger overview of the period. So it's also talking about Indian Wars, western expansion, Gilded Age politics, industrialization, etc all the way to 1896. Foner deals much more specifically with Southern Reconstruction. They're both recommended, honestly, it just depends on what you want to focus on.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Though it's not a part of the Oxford American History series, another really good book for the antebellum through Reconstruction era is Brenda Wineapple's Ecstatic Nation.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Finished off 'Hillbilly Elegy' by JD Vance, where do I go from there? I've got a copy of 'Darkness Comes to the Cumberlands" coming, but what other Appalachian history/social books exist?

Ramp Hollow by Steven Stoll isn't a long read, but it's dense. It'll stick with you for a while.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Chris Jennings' Paradise Now, about 19th century American utopian communities, is pretty great, and yes, even a little uplifting. He's got a real affection for the material, and it's just so darn earnest and sincere. And Charles Fourier sounds like a delightful nutcase.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Just finished Kristin Hoganson's The Heartland: An American History, and I think I was wanting something different out of the book than what it was. I was hoping for a book that tackled the why of the "Midwest as REAL America" trope. What I got was a book about the displacement of the Kickapoo nation from central Illinois, and how the white population that took their land was neither static nor globally isolated. While she makes frequent references to the heartland myth, she never actually gives it any context. Very frustrating.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Eric Foner's Reconstruction is still considered the seminal work, but a couple of other good ones: Henry Louis Gates' Stony the Road and Stephen Budiansky's The Bloody Shirt. Brenda Wineapple's Ecstatic Nation and Richard White's The Republic for Which it Stands both cover the period as part of broader overviews.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

I'm looking for some books about shipwrecks, the aftermath of them, or just exploration expeditions that go wrong.

Try Lorri Jackson's The Shipwreck That Saved Jamestown, about the wreck of the Sea Venture, the discovery of Bermuda, and how Jamestown came within literal hours of failing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Any recs for good books on the French Resistance, or any of the anti-Nazi resistance movements during WW2?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Tell them to read Common Sense. Thomas Paine does a pretty good job obliterating the idea of heredity monarchy.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any recommendations for books on Native Americans, especially in the context of how the US govt hosed them?

My fathers on a bit of a kick reading about them and he’s really coming around to “holy poo poo they got a raw deal” which is kind of a big thing for a 70 year old guy raised on Gunsmoke and The Lone Ranger. I think he’s a leash read 1491.

Needs to be readable for an educated man who isn’t a historian. I think I threw him Facing East From Indian Country a few years back and he bounced off.

Peter Cozzens's The Earth is Weeping is heavy (understandable given the subject matter), but very readable.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Throwing out a rec for Joanne Freeman's The Field of Blood for a look at Congress in the 1840s-50s and the influence of "the Slave Power".

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea by Geza Vermes may be what you're looking for.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

On that note, I've recently started reading Jesus and John Wayne, about the rise of the explicitly right-wing political identity in American evangelicalism.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Battle Cry of Freedom is not only the best one volume book on the Civil War ever it is also IMO one of the very best history books ever. It's a pretty complete and thorough introduction to the subject and paints a great picture of the people and events and the world in which they lived and happened. He uses a ton of primary sources and it's telling that half the book is setting the stage for the war and the war itself seems almost like a footnote or something. It's a good audiobook too if that's your thing.

Foote is very very much a product of his time and his background and upbringing, and needs to be viewed that way. He's a fantastic writer and his historical errors are mostly errors of omission (esp. re: slavery, southern atrocities as others have noted). I think his work is especially important in how it influenced popular perceptions of the ACW for another generation or two after/during civil rights, and its worth reading, but read Battle Cry of Freedom first

Battle Cry of Freedom is part of the Oxford History of the United States series, so it's designed to slot into the 1848-1865 (ish) period. McPherson's Ordeal by Fire is more directly focused on the military end of the Civil War, if that's your bag.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Reading Foote to get a view of southern opinion in the 50s is a round about way to rationalize reading something I got to admit.

Read C. Vann Woodward instead.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got me wondering - is there any such thing as a non-sensationalized, non true- crimey history of the Manson Family?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

:tipshat:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Any recs for crazy bonkers WWII intelligence stories?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Any recs for a good overview of the English Civil War?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's a good book or books on Reconstruction?

Brenda Wineapple's Ecstatic Nation and Stephen Budiansky's The Bloody Shirt are both pretty excellent as well.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

Any history books other than the people’s history going into details about Columbus being a monster? Because extended family goes to a church that just had a service that just white washed the poo poo out of him being a good Christian and I need more ammo for Next visit.

Charles Mann's 1493 - though honestly, the scholarly consensus on Columbus has turned hard in the past 25-30 years. You'd be hard pressed to find any academic historians white knighting him these days.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Re: Columbus again.

The first few chapters of Fernando Cervantes's Conquistadores is also a good read. While Cervantes doesn't spend much time on Columbus's atrocities, he does draw a very good portrait of the man. And it's not super flattering, because it quickly becomes apparent he was a myopic dumbass who manipulated his data to serve his conclusions (he'd fit right in in the modern era), neither got along with nor cared to understand his Castilian patrons and followers, and had an ego so massive it produced its own gravity.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FPyat posted:

Any books on the Civil Rights movement that center how people who weren't activists or politicians felt about it? If anything, reading the freakouts of hardline racists as their dominant order gets torn down would be entertaining. I've found one oral history of the period but it seems to be all interviews of participants.

You'll probably like Jason Sokol's There Goes My Everything.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mauser posted:

Anyone have a comprehensive book on the great depression in the US? I went back through the thread a bit trying to word search, but didn't find anything.

The first half of David Kennedy's Freedom From Fear, which cover the Great Depression and WWII, might be a good starting place. Of course, it's a 20+ year old book at this point, and I'm not up on the latest 1930s scholarship.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Allan Kulikoff's From British Peasants to Colonial American Farmers - a good overview how access to land ownership transformed white identity in the colonies.
Daniel Richter's Facing East From Indian Country - Looks at early colonial history from a Native perspective.
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's The Age of Homespun - uses material culture to talk about Native and women's issues.
Russell Shorto's The Island at the Center of the World - a really well written history of the early story of Manhattan and Dutch New Amsterdam.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I am torn between Reconstruction by Eric Foner or the Oxford History series' The Republic For Which It Stands: 1865-1896. For the latter I wouldn't mind going into the Gilded Age, but Foner's book on the decade or so after the Civil War seems to have a good reputation if anyone has thoughts on that?

Also, the Rick Perlstein series of books (hopping forward a century here) sound fascinating. I am tempted to jump into Nixonland however the prior entry about Barry Goldwater seems notable, so I would strongly consider doing these books in order.

Foner remains the seminal text on Reconstruction for a reason. If you're wanting to focus specifically on Reconstruction, you can't go wrong there. The Republic For Which It Stands is very good, but broader in its scope.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

White *does* do a really good job showing the political and economic links between Southern Reconstruction and western expansion, though.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a good single volume book covering the Creek/Red Stick War and Indian Removal, especially one that covers the internal politics/culture/social history of the 'Five Civilized Tribes'?

Steve Innskeep's Jacksonland. It's mostly focused on the Cherokee, so there's not a ton of material dealing with the other major tribes of the Southeast, but it will definitely have you coming away with a whole new appreciation for how deep Andrew Jackson's assholery went.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

There's a scene of an elderly Robert E. Lee loving his invalid wife.

Yeah. Gonna have that one seared into my memory long after senescence has taken the faces of friends and loved ones.

Amazing post/avatar combo there

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FPyat posted:

Daniel Walker Howe's portrayal of Andrew Jackson is so unremittingly horrible that I'm darkly curious to learn how earlier writers were able to put a positive spin on him.

Don't worry, he comes across even worse in Steve Inskeep's Jacksonland.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Grem posted:

So many books are on the way (placed a huge Amazon order last night) but I already feel better about this. With everything I ordered it should triple in size at least. Thank you so much goons!

gently caress yeah, The Field of Blood. That's gonna blow some kid's mind in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz

Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano

Anything from Eric and Philip Foner

The Half has Never Been Told by Edward Baptist

Black Reconstruction by W.E.B. Du Bois

I'd also tack on Charles Mann's 1491 and 1493, Daniel Richter's Facing East from Indian Country, and Henry Gates' Stony the Road.