Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chip McFuck posted:

This is a cautionary tale that you really don't know someone until you roleplay with them.

I made friends with a guy at work who seemed normal enough. We'd talk video games, TV shows, even dipping into some politics and philosophy, thankfully seeing eye to eye on a lot of topics. Another friend and I decided to start a D&D 5E game and I invited my work friend to join the group. Things went well for a while, before it started to get weird.

He played an elderly bard obsessed with instruments and was a pretty fun character, all things considered. A few sessions in, we were adventuring through a town when we fell into a trap laid by the big bad and had to fight a minotaur. We maneuver around, trying to get in good positions when he pipes up with the following:

Work Friend: I attack his butt.
GM: You want to attack his butt?
WF: Yeah, I want to stick my sword up his anus.
GM: ...what?
WF: I stick my sword right up his pooper.
GM: Uhhh... OK, I guess. You do that.

He then described in great detail what exactly happened to the minotaur's anus. At first, myself and the rest of the players didn't know what to make of it, but being the conflict-adverse nerds that we are, the rest of us decided to write it off as a bad attempt at humor. Boy were we wrong. Every single fight from then on he would try to attack the anus of every enemy we came across.

During a later session when we had a moment of downtime while one of the players had a bathroom break, work friend regaled the rest of us about a time in college where he used his own jizz as glue to adhere pictures to a posterboard because he forgot to bring a glue stick. He treated this as just a humorous anecdote but it seriously weirded us out. It also came out of nowhere; he just volunteered this information apropos of nothing.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I texted the group to let them know that my wife and I are expecting our first child. Work friend went off on a long screed about how my wife and I are idiots for "breeding" and that we're dooming our child to a horrific future of pain and misery; a "boneheaded move" of epic proportions.

Needless to say he's not a friend or in the group anymore.

Feels like it's been a while since we had a good old fashioned cat piss story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I miss them, tbh

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Many of the modules I read about pulp adventure made it seem like a trifle, a two-dimensional interlude between serious games about vampires or airlocks. But I started reading a lot of stories on archive.org: old western magazines, Black Mask, Adventure, Colliers....Got into the Shadow radio show, “Let George Do it!”, even the weirdo comedy shows like Rocky Fortune (starring Frank Sinatra as a detective who gets a new odd job every episode).
And I realized my write-ups, and even the RPG sourcebooks, were missing the best part of pulp stories: the grabber headlines from the table of contents. Editors had only a few words to hook readers, and they used them well.

Here's two examples
The Kitten by Frederic pelham, jr.
Night after night the young lieutenant and his ghost patrol slipped out and terrorized the German lines. Then an advance of their own regiment found them all dead, all stripped of their puttees, the men shot through the brain and the lieutenant, unmarked, with an empty automatic in his lifeless hand.
Bowie and His Big Knife (a fact story) by meigs o. frost
The eighteen inches of sudden death that carved new frontiers — and old enemies.

I know people in this thread are fans of my stories, and that's why I put in so much effort. But my goal isn’t to brag, it’s to get more people interested in the genre.
So I went back to the roughly 70 stories I wrote up in this thread. And each one got its own grabber, sometimes a few words (Terror at Fashion Week has simply “Turn. Pose. Kill."), sometimes remembered dialogue from the session. Here are a few of my favorites:

Treasure of the Templars
Thousands of years of history, and blood by the bucket.

To end all Wars!
“That’s a Matisse,” sighed Valeira. “People will bomb just about anything.”

THE BEST DEFENSE!
His hands were shaking… Was it fear of expulsion, or the terrible cold?

If you want to read all the adventures (or just the new grabbers), here’s a link! Start near the bottom.

And thanks again for reading!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 30, 2024

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Golden Bee posted:

Many of the modules I read about pulp adventure made it seem like a trifle, a two-dimensional interlude between serious games about vampires or airlocks. But I started reading a lot of stories on archive.org: old western magazines, Black Mask, Adventure, Colliers....Got into the Shadow radio show, “Let George Do it!”, even the weirdo comedy shows like Rocky Fortune (starring Frank Sinatra as a detective who gets a new odd job every episode).
And I realized my write-ups, and even the RPG sourcebooks, were missing the best part of pulp stories: the grabber headlines from the table of contents. Editors had only a few words to hook readers, and they used them well.

Here's two examples
The Kitten by Frederic pelham, jr.
Night after night the young lieutenant and his ghost patrol slipped out and terrorized the German lines. Then an advance of their own regiment found them all dead, all stripped of their puttees, the men shot through the brain and the lieutenant, unmarked, with an empty automatic in his lifeless hand.
Bowie and His Big Knife (a fact story) by meigs o. frost
The eighteen inches of sudden death that carved new frontiers — and old enemies.

The thing I think most about pulp adventure is not that it's shallow but that it's easy. Nobody has high expectations for intricate politicking or hard-edged scientific realism, so you just go with whatever makes sense at the time, and if it seems a bit goofy that's just how the genre works.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Chip McFuck posted:

This is a cautionary tale that you really don't know someone until you roleplay with them.

I made friends with a guy at work who seemed normal enough. We'd talk video games, TV shows, even dipping into some politics and philosophy, thankfully seeing eye to eye on a lot of topics. Another friend and I decided to start a D&D 5E game and I invited my work friend to join the group. Things went well for a while, before it started to get weird.

He played an elderly bard obsessed with instruments and was a pretty fun character, all things considered. A few sessions in, we were adventuring through a town when we fell into a trap laid by the big bad and had to fight a minotaur. We maneuver around, trying to get in good positions when he pipes up with the following:

Work Friend: I attack his butt.
GM: You want to attack his butt?
WF: Yeah, I want to stick my sword up his anus.
GM: ...what?
WF: I stick my sword right up his pooper.
GM: Uhhh... OK, I guess. You do that.

He then described in great detail what exactly happened to the minotaur's anus. At first, myself and the rest of the players didn't know what to make of it, but being the conflict-adverse nerds that we are, the rest of us decided to write it off as a bad attempt at humor. Boy were we wrong. Every single fight from then on he would try to attack the anus of every enemy we came across.

During a later session when we had a moment of downtime while one of the players had a bathroom break, work friend regaled the rest of us about a time in college where he used his own jizz as glue to adhere pictures to a posterboard because he forgot to bring a glue stick. He treated this as just a humorous anecdote but it seriously weirded us out. It also came out of nowhere; he just volunteered this information apropos of nothing.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I texted the group to let them know that my wife and I are expecting our first child. Work friend went off on a long screed about how my wife and I are idiots for "breeding" and that we're dooming our child to a horrific future of pain and misery; a "boneheaded move" of epic proportions.

Needless to say he's not a friend or in the group anymore.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I like the idea of tabletop games as a sort of window into the inner soul of a creep. In ludo veritas, if you will.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Somehow no one got exploded in our 7th Sea game. Helgi, our gentle giant, tanked a small explosion from a hand bomb teleported right next to him, and then managed to leap out of the ship through the resulting hull breach before the ship's magazine detonated. The detonation caught him and about a dozen others with splash damage as they were all swimming away, but no one died or got KO'd. Helgi's leap into the sea silhouetted by explosion and flame was dope as hell, though. :hellyeah:

In the aftermath, on the Montaigne (French) ship, the GM asked, "does anyone speak Montaigne?" No one besides my Vesten/Ussuran (Finnish?) huntress did, and she had just picked up "acquaintance" level of the language in her travels. (Language proficiency ranges from Acquaintance -> Poor -> Fluent -> Native). So I said that Kristjana knows Montaigne, but she has really just only seen that Muzzy commercial a million times, so she can only say, "Je suis la jeune fille" and "une, deux, trois!"

When I failed the resulting Wits check to comprehend, the GM took that statement literally. So the Montaigne captain, in the middle of a major crisis, says things in a Very Serious ToneTM to my big, athletic, definitely grown-rear end adult huntress:

[Translated from Montaigne]

:sparkles: "Where is the captain of your ship? The Castillians have a firing solution on us and we need to move now!"
:hmmyes: "I...am a little girl."

Reference for anyone who wasn't a kid circa 1990 and doesn't have this grooved onto your brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg_SVBfFWw

"These children aren't Montaigne. They're Vesten."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
That whole commercial just played in my head on reflex. Thank you.

Some content:

I've been playing with my local Pathfinder Society for over a year now and just had a really good session with both some of my regulars and newbies.

The Premise: An extra-dimensional hedge maze the in-universe Society uses for fast travel is on the fritz; go fix it.

Fast-forward to the last section of the adventure where it's revealed the disruptions are caused by a group of tanuki pulling pranks, and there's now an entire tribe of them living and partying in a hidden section of the maze.

What was supposed to happen: The Party tells the tanukis to leave, leading to either combat with the pranksters, or a skill challenge where the Party compete against them in a dance-off.

What actually happened: Thanks to a really good Diplomacy check from the Bard and use of a magic flask that could generate the drinker’s ideal beverage, the Party resolved the situation through almost pure roleplay with the tanuki clan’s matriarch. After which, the Gunslinger said he'd go back to the quest giver and just let them know the situation.

Me: Okay. I guess that'd be the end of the adventure then since you resolved everything peacefully. I'm not going to penalize y'all for skipping the last combat. Well, I guess y'all could've gone with the dance-off.

Party: There's a dance-off?!

Cue the now exhibition dance competition where I ask everyone to describe their routines before they roll.

The Sorceror does a pyrotechnics display through a mixture of Dancing Lights and breathing fire. The Ranger tangos with her bear companion. The Gunslinger goes full Buffalo Bill with some trick shooting, responding to in-game criticism that he's not actually dancing by ending his routine by making his opponent “dance”. And the Rogue breakdanced seemingly in air by being hoisted up by the Sprite Barbarian.

As for the Bard, he managed to roll 3 Nat 1's in a row on his performance checks, resulting in a nasty spill off the stage.

Bard (after his third nat 1): Screw it, I'm gonna use a hero point. I want to at least finish strong.

:rolldice: Nat 2.

Bard: ARE YOU KIDDING ME

We all had a good laugh about it.

It seems the secret to running Society content is to know when to go off-rails.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

CzarChasm posted:

Feels like it's been a while since we had a good old fashioned cat piss story.

Railing Kill posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I like the idea of tabletop games as a sort of window into the inner soul of a creep. In ludo veritas, if you will.

Yeah, dude just went and revealed his whole rear end to us. Which reminds me:

He liked to make up nicknames for the other player's characters, which isn't too bad in and of itself. One of our other players had a character named Astrid who was female presenting but preferred gender-neutral pronouns and identified as gender fluid. Cool, no problems there. We'd occasionally forget and accidentally refer to the character as she or her, but we'd apologize and correct our mistake if we realized after the fact or had it pointed out.

Not work friend though, he seemed to take real pleasure in calling them by feminine pronouns only. Made for some really awkward roleplaying. He also took it upon himself to give them the nickname 'Assy', which the player found REALLY uncomfortable and wound up ignoring his character whenever he'd refer to them as such.

Just a toxic person.

I also found a screenshot of some of the texts he sent me when we announced the pregnancy. The rant went on for so long and this is just the tail end of it:

My favorite part was that around 5:30PM that day, after his wife got home from work and must have berated him for sending such texts, he "apologized" by saying he's sorry for his tone. As if his tone is what I would have taken issue with, lol.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Christ. I mean, my wife and I decided that kids aren't the right choice for us, but I'm not some militant "NO ONE SHOULD EVER HAVE KIDS EVER! KILL THE BREEDERS! ONLY MORONS BREED!" kind of rear end in a top hat.

I think the worst I did was my friend was dating his then girlfriend and asked if the two of them could stop by for a quick visit. I said sure and invited them up. They came in and basically said "We're pregnant." and I said "On purpose?". I wasn't exactly joking, but I was really more confused than anything. In part because their relationship was (from the outside) not the foundation I would build my life on, and they were living in a cold, lovely, shoebox. But, I did what I could to support them in their choice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CzarChasm posted:

Christ. I mean, my wife and I decided that kids aren't the right choice for us, but I'm not some militant "NO ONE SHOULD EVER HAVE KIDS EVER! KILL THE BREEDERS! ONLY MORONS BREED!" kind of rear end in a top hat.

I think the worst I did was my friend was dating his then girlfriend and asked if the two of them could stop by for a quick visit. I said sure and invited them up. They came in and basically said "We're pregnant." and I said "On purpose?". I wasn't exactly joking, but I was really more confused than anything. In part because their relationship was (from the outside) not the foundation I would build my life on, and they were living in a cold, lovely, shoebox. But, I did what I could to support them in their choice.

that's kind of gauche but also a reasonable question, it's a bit like asking whether a relatives death was expected, it's asking for help in calibrating your response.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I would think you'd have your answer by how enthusiastic they are when they say they're pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MelvinBison posted:

I would think you'd have your answer by how enthusiastic they are when they say they're pregnant.

That's what it's gauche to ask, for sure