Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Golden Bee posted:

The system is FATE level flexible. We wanted to play an anime game and I thought "magical girl!" but I saw this picture and thought "wait, I got something cooler."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

Have you posted about her before? Because a badass old woman who kicks the devil in the balls sounds familiar.

I once ran a 13th Age game with a PC whose One Unique Thing was "I nut-punched the Devil - and lived." It was so dumb. I loved it. :allears:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Last Friday was the culmination of the first major story arc in the 13th Age game I'm running for my friends. The campaign opened with the party waking up in the heart of a ruined temple; they each knew who they were but didn't know who the others were or why they were there. All told, they were missing about two weeks of memories.

When they got back to civilization, they learned that they'd been hired to clear out the temple, a job at which they had incidentally succeeded. They also learned that every hellhole in the empire - basically rifts where demonic energy leaks in, and a staple of 13th Age's setting - had disappeared overnight, and that a massive gray pillar or tower had appeared in the middle of the sea. Also, the major demon-killing figure of the setting, the Crusader, was gone without a trace.

Fast forward to the finale. With the help of the Lich King (whose identity was revealed at the 11th hour and who is somehow alive again), they make it to the tower and enter. After a lengthy descent through the dimly-lit structure and a major fight with a dragon at the bottom, they're granted an audience with its master: the god of death.

The god revealed the truth: the world in which they'd been adventuring was a simulacrum, created when the Crusader was betrayed to the demons, who used him as a sort of magical battery to set the entire mortal world on fire. The god, a merciful being, created the false world to help humanity pass on more peacefully. But the PCs intrigued him, because they alone were still alive, having been somehow thrown forward in time when the world ignited. It now falls to them to find a way to reach the goddess of time and try to find a way to travel back and prevent the demonic apocalypse.

I love being able to surprise my players, and this did the trick. I managed to work most of their One Unique Things into the reveal, and after the session ended I had the added pleasure of watching them piece together all the foreshadowing I did - everything from little oddities in descriptions to the names of the magic items i gave them.

And now I have to try and top that for the second half of the campaign. gently caress.