Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys, crazy question:

I need to deploy a broadband grade connection between two sites 16.5 miles away from each other. I have line of sight and the height and everything, I just need to know which of these spread spectrum transmitters is best for what I'm doing. Ive been referred to the Ubiquiti NanoBridge M5. Going on their website, though, there are tons of different options and even multiple that are under the banner of M5 (I guess I would get the highest gain one). Any alternatives or other options to consider? My main concern is range and throughput, but I do need to consider price as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Which AirFiber has the range I need?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Looking at page 10 of this document:

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanobridgem/nbm_ds_web.pdf

The spec sheet for the 5ghz Nano Bridge with the most gain.

In the table for data rate, its all just MC50, MC51, ect ect. What does this mean? How can I determine the the different data rates?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thank you for that, forgive my ignorance.

edit: Oh jesus, i'm an idiot. Those are S's, not 5's.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey, I need a quick recommendation on a 24 (at least) port gigabit switch. I know these are relatively cheap/simple now but don't wanna misstep. Any recommendations?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Sorry to just dive bomb into this thread again for help but..

I'm getting kinda confused about all the different Ubiquiti bridges. I need a ~300m link. I was told to get the NSM5-US, which I understand is the Nanostation M5. What is the difference between that the regular Nanostation 5? Or the NanoBridge? It's all a bit confusing.

Also, If i order this: http://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=NSM5-US&eq=&Tp=

Does that include the radios or is that just the antennas? Cause I was told this particular package was both but it doesn't seem like it.

Thanks for any help.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

300m will be doable with a NanoStation M5 Loco. The units have the radios built in to the back of the antennas, they come with everything you need except the mounting pole / wall bracket.

Is there any reason I should shell out more for the non-Loco? I was told to get the M5.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I hope if you do go through with it, that you bill the pain in the rear end customer for all the extra work you gotta do to make it wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question:

I need a fairly long reaching wifi AP, most likely from Ubiquiti, in which I can setup one password-protected network for office use and, in parallel, have a non-password protected network that is severly restricted (I am imagining only allowing port 80 and 443) just for web browsing.

What unit is for me?

• Locked thread