Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

somnambulist posted:

351B4865 by francography, on Flickr

Jelleh fish

This is so good. Was this in an aquarium or the wild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Went looking for muskox in Dovrefjell today. They are big, fast and as aggressive as only repeated traumatic brain injury can make you, and the national park advises you to stay at least 200m away. Plus we had a dog along so wanted to be especially sure to keep a safe distance. At that range I wasn't exactly expecting any magazine cover photos from the day, but I've looked for them before without luck so I was just keen to catch a glimpse at all.

We saw a group of three from the very first little peak we climbed, a dude with a telescope had spotted them already and helped us out. We were on the other side of the valley about 2km away so they are basically just blobs of pixels, but it was cool to see them through telescope and binos.

Then we tried a different trail and again lucked out pretty fast spotting another. We were able to cautiously approach with a ravine between it and us, probably around 400m distance.

Walking back through the woods pretty happy with the day, when there was some snorting from directly below the trail and we came essentially face to face with our final ox of the day, around 5m away and already angrily stomping. Seems that a shot got fired off during the ensuing panicked retreat.

If you look carefully between the V of the tree branches you will see a perfectly composed muskox shoulder. I guess not standing my ground, calmly changing to a wide lens and framing that perfect shot in the seconds before impact is what separates me from the pros.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 8, 2022