Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I knew very little about China when I entered this thread and now I know even less :(

What is it about China that completely breaks Western brains, I don't see this kind of thing happening with like India

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

How are u posted:

Would you be willing to elaborate on how you feel brains are being broken?
I'm fully aware that this is bait to drag me into hours of tedious bullshit, so the short of it is many of you are talking about China like a psychotic anthropomorphized contextless monolith sports team villian state. You can talk about the horrible poo poo happening in a place without acting like it's a Marvel movie.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

ronya posted:

my understanding is that Taiwan has unclear constitutional processes for cohabitation government and so it's going to be prone to uncomfortable gridlock again

on the upside, it may tempt China into kicking the can down the road further, even as the pro-Beijing tendency increasingly ages out of a generationally unitary-Chinese-identity bloc and toward a more Finlandized "only we can talk to Moscow Beijing" pitch
I am far from knowledgeable about the region, but isn’t China’s basic strategy just to continue raising its people’s material conditions to the point where it’s by far the wealthiest country in the history of the world, achieving a hegemony over the region if not the world, and Taiwan is just inevitably subsumed into that hegemony without need for military conflict? I get the sense they don’t really care about this poo poo as long as nobody is interfering in that longer term strategy.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Broadly yes, but the experience of Xianjing and Hong Kong shows that when the locals don't just accept the inevitability of Han CCP supremacy then they aren't afraid to bring out the big stick and crack some skulls.

On the economic side there's two angles to it: on the one hand China wants and expects to be the wealthiest country in the world, which it can achieve. On the other hand on a per capita basis China is still very poor and as a low ambition goal it wants to avoid being stuck in the largest middle-income trap in the history of the world.
Makes sense! So rationally they’d just want to keep the boat from rocking too much (e.g an independence declaration or some kind of military confrontation with the West) while they run up the score of per-capita conditions to the point where it’d be stupid not to come into the fold? But irrationally the PRC is still controlled by humans who could blunder and get caught up in some stupid bullshit and kneecap themselves while pushing Taiwan away

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Speaking for myself, the English-language press is worse than useless for understanding anything about China, and a partial analogy to Poland (or anywhere else in the West), if anywhere near accurate, is very helpful.