Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Mad Elf, eh?

chill the gently caress out and remember it's people enjoying beer on the other end and their palates might taste poo poo differently than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like Mad Elf too

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

chill the gently caress out and remember it's people enjoying beer on the other end and their palates might taste poo poo differently than you.

That's from all the free cigars, tho.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wasn’t surprised at the differences between the years due to last year’s tasting but the dramatic switch between 20 and 21 as far as taste goes is surprising. Unfortunately we don’t keep notes (maybe next year) but it was interesting. I don’t know if the taste of the individual years changes over time, but it is definitely different from year to year

Are you aging them? Time changes beers so if you're doing a side-by-side with this and previous years, the difference is going to be influenced by age, storage conditions, etc.

I don't know enough about the beer to know if they're intentionally changing recipes every year, similar to what Anchor would do with their Christmas Ale. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

danbanana posted:

Are you aging them? Time changes beers so if you're doing a side-by-side with this and previous years, the difference is going to be influenced by age, storage conditions, etc.

I don't know enough about the beer to know if they're intentionally changing recipes every year, similar to what Anchor would do with their Christmas Ale. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
My understanding is that they eyeball the ingredients every year rather than being very precise with them to allow the recipe to change.
I could be wrong about that

Regarding aging: he’s keeping them on a shelf in his basement so they are being kept in a cool dark place. I don’t know if there’s any specific thing you’re supposed to do to age them other than not drinking them for a while.

The difference between 23 and 22 was stark, even in color. The 23 was more amber, all of the older ones were a deeper red.

I don't know how much the color differences will show on those, we ended up bringing in a desk lamp for a better light to see them by.

22 and 21 were similar, 20 was a big jump in taste from all the rest (and was slightly hazier than the others. Then 19 and 18 were yet a different flavor. Our guess is 19 and 18 were heavier with cherries than the other years.

Edit:

lament.cfg posted:

We are all memeing about a former poster who had a massive meltdown and ragequit the thread

Ok that makes sense sorry for being sensitive

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2023

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

AFewBricksShy posted:

Wtf. Is there a reason you’re being an rear end in a top hat?

We are all memeing about a former poster who had a massive meltdown and ragequit the thread

It’s the only joke we have left, we all post it at anyone who mentions Mad Elf

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don't know how much the color differences will show on those, we ended up bringing in a desk lamp for a better light to see them by.

22 and 21 were similar, 20 was a big jump in taste from all the rest (and was slightly hazier than the others. Then 19 and 18 were yet a different flavor. Our guess is 19 and 18 were heavier with cherries than the other years.

Color difference is likely an effect of oxidation, which is the process most likely to affect flavor and appearance when aging.

You might be able to tell differences in recipe but honestly it's probably more of the aging that you're getting from year to year. It also wouldn't be crazy for a younger vintage to be "more" aged depending on storage, variation from bottle to bottle, etc.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also obviously gently caress this echo chamber blah blah blah

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I recall last year one of the owners of Troegs on our tour told us they had to source cherries from a different place going forward. So the difference in color and flavor could also be from a different type of cherry being used.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Picked up the local beer trail passport, up near 70 venues. Every year there’s more representation from places that have beer as a greater proportion versus breweries. We lost a couple solid brewers this year, with maybe half a dozen new micros on the horizon. It feels like the regionals and local big names have a good hold with the hobby micros but not a lot of growth or expansion.

That being said it’s beer so there is always something new. I’ll probably still like my sours, especially with Mortalis branching out locally. 2024 looking forward to whatever the new hotness. Maybe this thread will get a new joke too cause the one where y’all RP being an rear end sucks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The thread is dead for a reason

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The bubble has peaked and is starting to collapse, but here in Chicago we haven't had any of the pillars of the craft scene fail and disappear yet, until now. Find yourself a nice craft lager, and pour one out, into a glass, and drink it, because you never know when landlords will just completely gently caress over one of the best breweries with the best people and the best location around. RIP Metropolitan.

I did get to take home a case of flywheel pilsner and a couple .5L steins, and I had a nice afternoon getting drunk on the river.

Where the gently caress am I gonna get altbier now though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

more falafel please posted:

Where the gently caress am I gonna get altbier now though.

Goldfinger makes one I believe.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jhet posted:

Goldfinger makes one I believe.

Kinslahger, too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And per Untappd, Dovetail's is on right now.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sours are a blight upon this subculture. I shant back down from this

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

^^^ I love lambics!

Drinking a Blueberry KBS I received from a friend. I like it more than Chocolate Cherry but not as much as Mackinac Fudge which to me is simply phenomenal.

Went to two liquor stores today. The first has BCBS and several variants for $19.99. The second had regular for $13.99 a pop so I bought one. I was really hoping to find some Duvel but neither of them had any.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Every few months I drink some of the dozens of beers that I've had sitting around the house for years and I go drat I should drink beers every day this is great. And then the next day I say oh yeah I forgot that I'm old now, everything hurts, never again. Then I go to the beer store and buy some more to drink sometime in the distant future.

Something recent I drank was Bissell Bros Sigil XIII which was a blend of imperial stout and barleywine aged in rum and whiskey barrels for like two years and that was pretty great, I was surprised. I always assumed their barrel series would be not great since they're known for the ipas.

My friend loves pastry stouts and I tried her Equilibrium Hazelnut Crisp. Brother those diabetic beers are completely out of control now. It was like actual syrup, with barely any exaggeration. So thick that it took almost 30 seconds for a head to form. Are these still sought after like back in the day or is are they just being made ironically now? I still love the billion abv stouts on the rare occasions that I blast tapes, but all the dessert-type ones I've tried in the past year or so have tasted like they're loaded with straight up sugar, not just in the brewing process but as though it's being added just prior to bottling or something.

Well that's all

krustster fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 24, 2023

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Holy poo poo KRUSTSER

AN XMAS MIRACLE

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I know the beer exchange thread is defunct but do any of the beer goons live in the Wyoming/Montana area and can get kettlehouse cold smoke scotch ale? I’d like to get a case.

I’d be willing to either pay for the case plus shipping or return the favor with a Philly area beer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I know the beer exchange thread is defunct but do any of the beer goons live in the Wyoming/Montana area and can get kettlehouse cold smoke scotch ale? I’d like to get a case.

I’d be willing to either pay for the case plus shipping or return the favor with a Philly area beer.

Join us in the Discord.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Sours are a blight upon this subculture. I shant back down from this

I’ve tried to like them but I can’t. The owner of the beer supply store I go to and I sat and tried a bunch of flavorings to a sour he made and we couldn’t stomach any of them. It must be how people who don’t like IPAs feel.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

obi_ant posted:

Join us in the Discord.

Got a link?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://discord.gg/smooj

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

Holy poo poo KRUSTSER

AN XMAS MIRACLE

:cool:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I'm in Korea and I found this. Came for the name, stayed for the badass can. That ultra wide mouth is the poo poo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

About to try my first Busch, fresh from the nearest 7/11

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its better than Budweiser but Miller High Life remains the king

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Of the cheap American lager tier I was extremely surprised by national Bohemian.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Spanish Manlove posted:

Of the cheap American lager tier I was extremely surprised by national Bohemian.

Natty Boh slaps indeed

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PBR supremacy for light, cheap, poo poo beers.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Control Volume posted:

About to try my first Busch, fresh from the nearest 7/11

Busch did 7/11

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

Busch did 7/11

New thread title, please.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My pick for ultra cheap is Narragansett or Rolling Rock.

I really like Solace Crazy Pils for a domestic local-to-me pick.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe this is beer, maybe not. In Finland it is "Kotikalja". Home beer? :v:

3L water, 1,8dl rye malt, 1,5dl sugar, less than 1 teaspoon dry yeast. Wait for a day, bottle, store in cold, wait for another day, drink.

Basically brown sugar water I guess? Cost is about 20-25 cents a liter when made by myself.

I got some old FISCHER beer bottles, they state 66cl but fit easily 75cl to each, as in picture. They come with poreclain caps.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I think the most commonly used translation for kotikalja is kvass though arguably kvass ("kvassi" in Finnish) is a different product, where bread is used among the fermentables rather than only malted rye.

I swear I'm not making this up but kotikalja was on the school lunch drinks menu, right? I have a faint memory of it (though I drank milk, I never liked the taste of kalja)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Not in my elementary or high school at least. Some university restaurants and traditional lunch buffet restaurants still offer it though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Maybe it's a memory I'm conflating with the lunch counter from my first summer job or the early 90s really was a different time...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe this is beer, maybe not. In Finland it is "Kotikalja". Home beer? :v:

3L water, 1,8dl rye malt, 1,5dl sugar, less than 1 teaspoon dry yeast. Wait for a day, bottle, store in cold, wait for another day, drink.

Basically brown sugar water I guess? Cost is about 20-25 cents a liter when made by myself.

I got some old FISCHER beer bottles, they state 66cl but fit easily 75cl to each, as in picture. They come with poreclain caps.

That's finnpunk as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

My NA ranking still tops with Blue Light NA, Guinness 0, and Athletic Golden . Safety Glasses IPA from I think Industrial Arts is okay but I still can’t get by the light body. Heineken 0 is gross , just tastes of bread soaked in water .