Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

Solis posted:

Hey folks... a couple of you know me but for those who don't I'm a third year at the OVC in Guelph, Canada.

Hello, new best friend.

3rd year Zoo major at Guelph. I'm trying to apply to the OVC at the end of the year, but my professors have other ideas. I have all of my pre-req's out of the way and I'm moderately satisfied with those marks. What I'm worried about is the "2 full semester" average. My first semester wasn't so hot (80% overall), but this semester I have one class which is totally screwing me over for ever hoping of getting my average high enough to apply.

Basically, what do you suggest I put more effort into to secure a better shot at getting in? I'm spending all summer studying for the MCAT, I've worked at 3 clinics and gotten my letters, even got one from a guelph prof. I've got volunteer experience with small animals, farm animals, large exotics and I'm about to go work with an elephant reserve over the summer. My marks just... aren't exceptional. Should I bail on this semester, dropping the useless course and hope 4th year is easier? Keep trucking and maybe hope for the best with a year average of <80%? What do they really consider "most important" when looking at an application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

Solis posted:

I'm not sure how much I can really help you with that stuff... They've revamped the admissions process somewhat, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Just looking at the admission averages from the last little while there still is hope for sure even if you're sub-80%, but it definitely means you're going to have to shine with your reference letters and experience. It sounds like you've got quite a bit of valuable experience, too, so that should at least help quite a bit. They don't lie when they say the BIF is half of what gets you in, marks aren't everything by a long shot.

If you're seriously considering tanking the semester though, be really careful. Because of the application process, if you're applying after 4th year, this semester WILL count, as will your first semester of fourth year (unfortunately)... but dropping a course this semester means they're going to use your 1st semester of this year average in lieu of it and any courses you take this semester will not count for any purposes at all. I actually applied from Mac and got very lucky because 2 of my semesters got dropped, but they contained courses I didn't need to get accepted. If the semester I took Cell Bio for instance had been discounted, I would have been hosed and they don't like granting special consideration at all.

So yeah, I don't really have a lot of advice beyond weighing your options carefully. If you're just getting destroyed this semester by fluke courses and there's nothing special it could well be worth it to just drop an elective and write it off. Just make sure you do the math carefully and take into account the OVC's myriad stupid regulations for what you can and can't do in a semester. If it comes down to it though, don't gently caress over your degree just to put a polish on your OVC application. Your worst case scenario is you have to reapply and they look only at your fourth year. One girl in my class was on her last shot at applying and managed to get in, it's not the end of the world if you don't make it first time around.

I was going to apply at the end of second year but the guidance councilor conveniently neglected to mention that while 4 courses a semester counts as a "full courseload" at GUELPH, it doesn't count as full for the OVC. Thanks rear end in a top hat, you wasted my whole year.

Because I was a retard in first year and failed 2 courses, coupled with dropping one in 2nd year, I'm not going to graduate on time as it is unless I take some summer courses. So I'm not worried about loving over my degree- that's already not going entirely as planned. I don't really care if it takes me >4 years though... I'd rather graduate with a better GPA and better hopes of either vet school or grad school somewhere.

Thanks for the reply- I'll just keep trucking and continue to be stubborn while hoping for the best.

• Locked thread