Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

gently caress yeah, I'm going back to Taiwan and Palau again.

5 days this time in Taipei.

this will be my third trip, any goons in town between the 4th and 10th of October?

might revisit a few places from 2010 if they're still there.
I remember a Szechuan restaurant down near Guting way, round tables. Vague I know.. maybe towards NTU.
also a Moslem restaurant, where you could write on the wall. Same area.

Also what's the best way to see Toroko gorge via scooter? Hualien and ride up?

pardon the spelling. pinyin on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

oh yeah. what should I do to get one week of mobile data?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

From what I understand, pretty much this is the best way. Train to Hualien and rent a scooter to ride up. The cross-island highway is blocked/closed/damaged or something, so not sure how far you can get.

Cool. I think that's what my ex did with me pillion in '10.
and that road falls off the mountain semi regularly iirc.

YF19pilot posted:

Pre-pay, sim card. You'll need two forms of ID. When I first got my phone they accepted my Passport and Ohio Driver's License, but that was in Taipei. Poke around, if one shop won't play ball with you, go to another. It'll probably be NT$300 for the SIM card plus whatever the data rates are.

sweet, easy.

any suggestions for things to see and do, I'll be travelling with my gf and maybe my workaholic parent/s so we've got the usual CKS, 101, zoo, 2/28, xiolongbao, Kings 56 icecream, night market stuff planned.
I was hoping to go see/photo the abandoned ufo houses this time. I've struggled to locate them on previous trip plans.

I'm also keen for your food recommendations. I'm determined to finally try stinky tofu

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

If you're wanting to do that, you're going to make sure you've packed a time machine :(

Oh, and if you want to try some real weird food, in Wulai there's an Aboriginal restaurant (泰雅婆婆, IIRC) that has on its menu, among other things, fried bees.

The Central Cross-Island Highway - the one that would get you straight over to Taroko from Taichung, more or less - has been (to varying degrees) closed since 1999 after the big ol' 921 quake ruined its poo poo (among many other things' poo poo).

Wulai. yeah. I went there. Hot springs and I learned the characters for 'mountain', 'pig', 'meat' and 'meat on a stick/kebab'.
I also got millet wine. it was awful.
I'd totally go back there. added to itinerary.

going g through toroko there were bits of road that were viaducts with the end ripped off and rebar hanging out over the new roadway, shiny black top.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Can anyone give me some advice about renting and riding scooters in Taiwan.
I've put a day trip to Haulien to Toroko Gorge and back on the to do list.
I ride a 500 cc standard at home so two wheels is not new to me.

(as previously mentioned, I've done this before but as a pillion passenger, I have drove up the west coast however)

prices, road rules...

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 3, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not going to lie, black pepper steak on a bed of spaghetti noodles is totally my style.

This was the best meal I've had in Taiwan, it was made by an old lady on a bridge in the middle mountains. A stray dog hanging around, wintermelon tea, the tea plantations on the mountainside. It was wonderful.

I'm flying into Taipei in about two weeks. staying for a week. Anyone in town want to greet an Aussie passing through?

caberham posted:

That's messed up

:shrug: Po Boy?

wiki tells me it's a sandwich with pulled beef on it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

wait I'm looking at the wrong thing. Cheesesteak, hoagie, hero, po boy. Region specific subs.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Mayonnaise is gross and Asia/the Netherlands are way too obsessed with it. I can do with a nice aioli but plain mayo is the worst and dutch people always pour it on french fries and in Taiwan it's always on sushi and UGGHHH

Good man, its delicious. Even if it makes me fart.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I saw another typhoon smashed into Yilin and over the island.
Wulai was apparently cut off and places are without power.

what's the damage like?

would it still he feasible to head up a few hours into Toroko Gorge.

I fly in Monday morning, any goons still want to meet up?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm trying to find a certain coffee shop in Taipei.

Its near a University i think, and it serves Jamacian Blue Mountain beans in Wedgewood china cups. It is run by a coffee wizard and does siphon coffee.
Might be out in Da'an or Guting.

Some photos.

Also, where can I get a Maestro Wu bombshell knife while im here?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Are your photos gps tagged by any chance?

no, theyre taken with a Canon Ixus60

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think I found it.

Drop Coffee 滴咖啡

Xinsheng S. Road Section 3 Lane 76 #1

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Woo Taiwan, im in you.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Taiwan I am out of you.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Hey taiwan thread. It was over a year since I was last there. :'(

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

lookit all these pussies who can't handle kaoliang

shameful

e:

That's because we don't have as many British alcoholics.

When was down in the mountains area on a road trip I drank with some locals who were pissing it up on kaoliang. I introduced them to Bundy Rum and they screwed up their faces a much as I did on their acrid rice liquor.
Then I introduced then to Bundy and coke.
There is no saving grace for kaoliang. You just gotta get used to it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I miss Taiwan

Its high time I returned.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A pair of my expat friends in Taiwan are making GBS threads on their IELTS employers because they elected to change the registration regions to say "Taiwan, China".

I've noticed a lot of airlines changing their regions to identify Taiwan as a part of china, jerks.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

This is going to sound really dumb

I found myself in Melbourne and went to din tai fung.

Oh man I miss Taiwanese dumplings.
Actual pot stickers.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Handsome dancer.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Congratulations Taiwan on achieving Marriage equality. 🇹🇼🌈

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I just booked mine in person at Taipei main station.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Delicious

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Same. I miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

On my first trip we took a train to Taichung, hired a mitsubishi colt hatchback and drove to Taipei via Puli, Ren'ai, Lishan, Wuling and Yilan. It was great.

I'm trying to retrace my route, i remember we stopped in at CKS's mountain holiday home near lishan, I cant find it.
It had a pond and was near a tea farm. Which is basically anywhere in the hills.