Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Dude that's a completely different dog. Are you sure you didn't pull the old switcheroo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Aww, it's really lovely seeing him so happy :3: What a good boy

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks all, he’s definitely come a long way but sometimes it’s hard for me to tell how much since I’m with him every day.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Local puppy is finding her bark

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...312f4605d4adb8&

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Omg she’s so fluffy

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Bigger Newton update:

He's gotten a lot more affectionate with me. He's not clingy at all, he will usually stay in my room until I get him to come out. But he greets me with a waggy tail and some gentle kisses when I come home from being out for a few hours, instead of a blank stare from his crate. He loves showing me his back/butt and turning around C shaped for pets, which is new in the last month (for a long time he didn't really like being pet too much unless he was in his bed). If I sit down on a cinder block in the yard he runs over and is content to sit with his back to me for pets. He also has gotten comfortable enough for contact play, he snaps his jaws playfully and gently mouths at my hands once in a while.

He very rarely goes in his crate now, only when I leave for a while. When I'm home, he's in one of his beds if he's not out for a walk with me, or sometimes cautiously exploring the house.

He's doing well with people. New intruders to the driveway get warning huffs, if they enter the yard they get barked at for a few minutes, then they are cool. If they bring a dog, or smell like a dog, they are cool right away. If new people come into the house, he will investigate cautiously, and get comfortable with them pretty quickly (guests are required to give him treats). He seems to be a lot more interested in what's going on when I have people over. If I'm in the living room alone, he is usually happy in my room or sometimes he’ll come out to hang out with me. If I'm in the living room with guests, after he says hi, he'll lay in his living room bed, just chilling like anybody else on any other piece of furniture. If he meets new people while we are out he seems to warm up to them quickly and enjoys pets, but doesn’t jump on them or beg for it. I've never seen him decide he's had enough affection and take off though. Just super, super sweet without being a cloying doofus.

He's still most comfortable in my room, in the yard, or in the woods. For a long time he didn't really like walks around the neighborhood but he did it because he got to play in the yard afterwards. But now he's starting to walk with his tail a little higher, and he's not as afraid of trash cans, mailboxes, or political signs. He adores hikes in the woods, I took him out with a 100 foot leash the other day so he could explore a little further away from me and he had an absolute blast.

Recall is decent in the back yard if he's not too interested in squirrels or something and 50/50 if we are somewhere else. I think it used to be better then he discovered the wonders of what was going on just beyond the fence. When I took him to a huge field with his 100 foot leash for the first time, he didn't really seem to know what to do, and was so overwhelmed with his newfound freedom he didn't seem to remember the come to me game. But he did after a while. He also didn't try to take offr or anything. When I was walking him in the woods with his long leash, he wanted to go wherever I was going, but he would try to go as far ahead on the trail as I would let him until he figured out he figured out I was going in a different direction.

He doesn't like car rides and shakes a bit. But now he hops in if I guide him with the leash at least; I don't have to pick him up and put him in the car anymore. Since I take him somewhere fun almost every time he gets in the car, he's gotten a lot better.

We still have more to work on with training, but he's a lot more confident at least, and he knows the basics...it's just a matter of doing them in every situation and not just in the back yard with no distractions. I've gotten him to do Look At Me more consistently during walks lately.

He's not super into toys. He likes to chew once in a while, but if I get him a new plush or whatever he noses it around a bit, maybe chews off the tag, and forgets about it. Getting treats out of his Kong is always fun, but otherwise, he's just as happy chasing sticks as anything as long as he has his bone to gnaw.

He has impeccable manners around other dogs, absolutely loves every one he meets and even if they are assholes who snap at him he backs off and keeps wagging his tail.

Anyway I'm so, so glad I found him and he's the perfect dog for me. He loves doing fun stuff outdoors but if it's super gross and rainy and we only do two walks and a two 10 minute sessions in the yard he doesn't get destructive or anxious. Thank you so much to everybody who helped give words of encouragement, helped me find the right trainer, and talked me off the ledge when I was sure he hated me and was never going to leave his crate. Who would have thought the best dog owners community on the internet was the Something loving Awful forums.

Also his DNA test is in the mail and I'll post how much Golden Retriever/Husky/Border Collie/Fox/Coyote is in him when I get it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The soft mouth thing is really good, that can be tough to deal with in dogs that haven't been heavily socialized :thumbsup:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Millie would like for everyone to take a nap.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I said come in! posted:

Millie would like for everyone to take a nap.

Pochi's in

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh to have dogs that believe in naps

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Counterpoint: i would believe in whatever they want me to

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

alg posted:

Pochi's in

ooh heck yeah leggy is up in the air. that is a proper spitz right there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pongo is all about the naps as long as he gets his exercise. He’s also a great nap buddy. If I go take a nap during the day he’ll come join me in the bedroom within five minutes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

One of my doggos is a purebred napping machine.

The other two are more follow you around eternally in case you have food.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pavlov had a big day on Saturday (we went to a state park), and he's been napping since.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton’s practicing his snoozin today with me after his first vet visit this morning, dude’s all zonked from getting all of his vaccines and his chip, he now has full 5g connectivity

He did great. When I adopted him the shelter told me they had to guess about his weight because he was too much of a mess to stay on the scale, but this morning he climbed on no problem (he’s 50.9 pounds of pure violence and rage FYI)

He settled down in the exam room and was actually calm enough to take some milkbones from the vet and the tech. Being that they are nice ladies that smell like dogs, he got along great with them.

Everything else looks good, he’s perfectly healthy.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

After over a year sharing a house they're finally chill enough to nap together.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Got my australian Simparica trio in today! :toot:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Got my australian Simparica trio in today! :toot:

How long ago did you order it? My order was 14 days ago, and I haven't heard anything yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How long ago did you order it? My order was 14 days ago, and I haven't heard anything yet.

I’m in Los Angeles and it was roughly 2-3 weeks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ordered Feb 29, arrived March 15, due to a mail hold (we had a weekend roadtrip) it arrived March 18. It was shipped via Australia Post, took a slow plane to the USA, then swapped to USPS and zipped over here. I ordered from here: https://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

Apollo had his first dose yesterday (wrapped in peanut butter) and it looked just like the expensive stuff and so far has acted like it too - he's up and barking and cheerful, and so far no weird poops or anything. I'm gonna give him the next dose next month, and delight in not spending 40$ a month!

e: I'm in PA, USA

e2: I'm not looking forward to the vet pestering me about Apollo missing doses, because they'll want to do bloodwork and so on, and like... I appreciate them looking out for Apollo, but I do sometimes feel like they're a business first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, I'm also in PA! And yeah, ordered from Pets Megastore. My last shipping update is that it's arrived in a facility somewhere in the USA :v: Guess we're just waiting.

I never bothered giving Pavlov flea/tick meds back in California, because we were coastal and there just weren't many bugs, due to the high winds and cool year-round temperatures. He's gotten, I dunno, maybe 5 ticks in his life? And more than one of those I was able to notice before it got through his incredibly dense fur, so I could just brush it off. But where we are in PA, there's a lot more temperature variance and wooded areas; I've seen rabbits, foxes, and deer near my house. So he's gonna need more protection.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How much cheaper is ST in Oz?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

alg posted:

How much cheaper is ST in Oz?

A year's supply with shipping was USD $126.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Pavlov had a big day on Saturday (we went to a state park), and he's been napping since.

This was Freja last week! We took her to a big country park in the rain, she got absolutely covered in mud from snout to tail and loved it.

She kept sticking her head in deep puddles and blowing the bubbles the dufus..

Took her about 4 days to recover from that adventure though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hey, I'm also in PA! And yeah, ordered from Pets Megastore. My last shipping update is that it's arrived in a facility somewhere in the USA :v: Guess we're just waiting.

I never bothered giving Pavlov flea/tick meds back in California, because we were coastal and there just weren't many bugs, due to the high winds and cool year-round temperatures. He's gotten, I dunno, maybe 5 ticks in his life? And more than one of those I was able to notice before it got through his incredibly dense fur, so I could just brush it off. But where we are in PA, there's a lot more temperature variance and wooded areas; I've seen rabbits, foxes, and deer near my house. So he's gonna need more protection.

the shrieking last week when I came back inside with TWO TICKS on me while Apollo just grinned at me with his protection

why can't I have simparica :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

the shrieking last week when I came back inside with TWO TICKS on me while Apollo just grinned at me with his protection

On that note, I can highly recommend this style of tick removal tool:

Simple and it works, no worries about pinching the tick's guts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's being tested actually! but no idea when/if it gets approved and it probably will cost like $500 a month and not be covered by insurance :911:

also yeah tick twisters own they make it easy.

i keep finding them on Maple because they just like crawl around and re-emerge after getting lost in her fluff so i just grab little wiggly idiots and flush them down the drain

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A year's supply with shipping was USD $126.

god drat. ok. we just switched Pochi from Soresto to ST so we will do this next time.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Ok the shelter was technically right about Newton being husky and golden, in the same way that someone would be right saying that the US is German and Scottish

So if you want a Newton of your own sorry, the recipe is a secret. Not sure how accurate this is but I enjoyed doing it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This is going to sound weird, but I miss North Carolina ticks. All the ticks here in Korea are these super tiny little things smaller than the size of a pinhead. Every time we go into the woods she comes back covered in them, and because they’re so small I keep finding them for hours. Luckily she’s white so they stand out but it is still such a pain.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

You will simply have to clone him for us

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
"He's 20% this mix of unidentifiable breeds, and the other 80% is these 7 different breeds we're pretty sure" :allears:

That's a hell of a mix. You know what you got there? You got there a Brown Dog. Best kind.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

we dna tested our rescue, got 15 different breeds identified

many large breeds and 2% chihuahua... guess how large she is

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My Simparica Trio arrived yesterday! Exactly three weeks from placing to the order to the package arriving.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sometimes the squirrel fights back.

He earned his life and freedom.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pavlov being completely normal while he goes to town on a nylabone

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Somebody got super muddy in the field and came to know the unspeakable horrors of bathtimes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been in PA for a month now, and I've noticed something weird: while there's lots of dogs in the neighborhood, something like 90% of them, the owners aren't willing to let them say hello! It's always "oh, she's not good with dogs" or "he's not friendly" or "I dunno, he can be kind of weird". What's the deal? Pavlov's not getting as much socialization as he or I would like, and hell, I want to say hi to the dogs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ours is super friendly and we sometimes say that to people because we're trying to train her to NOT say hello to everyone single person or dog we pass.