Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
We have a rescue, a 15 week old lab/pit.
Nip training is going well, along with crating and everything else but goddamn this dog refuses to poop or pee outside. I've been taking her in and out for the last 3 hours since she ate (can't stay outside too long due to the cold). It's always the same thing. On weekdays I eventually have to work and can't keep at it all day and that's when she poops (there's a couple general places she goes all the time).
I'm just struggling so much with this. I want a win for her.
When she poops inside she avoids pee mats as well. She usually pees on them fine but keeps squirting little toonie sized piss spots around the house as well.

Anyway - there's no bad pets only bad owners and I owe it to her to make this work. But... gently caress. I'm so tired, lol. Doesn't help that I'm the only person in the family not sick so I'm doing this all solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

movax posted:

Any anti-poo eating tips? Is it just a phase they grow out of? My pup is 5 months old and we watch him like a hawk, because after he poops / another dog poops... nothing in the world is tastier than poop. And parasites are no good!

The guilty party:

My buddy was having this issue. Started giving his dog a potassium chew his vet approved and it went away. I don't know why, sorry, but might give you some direction.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

We've had our puppy 2 days, she's 16 weeks old and we are trying to crate train her for sleep at night. She's having issues peeing in the crate, possibly anxiety?
She has no problem in the crate with the door open and will happily sit in there, We've given her meals, treats, praise and toys in the crate to try to build a positive association. But if you close the door and back away far enough or leave the room, she will pace in a circle, whine and pee in a minute or two. This is 30 mins after letting her pee/poop outside.

Last night after she had peed in the crate, we changed all the bedding and cleaned her up, settled her for a while and then put her back in, she whined loudly for about 5 minutes and then went quiet, but she lasted for 3 hours with no further incidents at which point we let her out and she eliminated outside. We've tried having her crate in our bedroom and in the kitchen, but same result.
I did a test this afternoon with her, she hadnt pooped in 2 hours and wouldnt when we let her outside, I put her in the crate and moved to the other side of the room, within a minute she had pooped in the crate.

She doesn't seem to have separation anxiety in general, she can be loose on a different room/floor of the house to me and have absolutely no issues, it seems to be crate specific.

We've never crate trained a dog before so this is pretty new to us, and I cant figure out how to make it better for her. Does anyone have any advice?

We're going through similar. Took like almost a week to get her to go on the pad (too cold for her outside) but when we did we through such a party for her - treats, excited good girl, playing etc, after that things got easier quick. For the crate it took a good week before she chilled out, but keeping it a steady routine helped a lot.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

This is Casey. I love her so much it hurts but it would be nice if she could bring herself to poop outside.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Say hi to Casey!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah pee pads always seem to leak through, we put them over a small tarp.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I take my dog out to poop and she won't poop but she'll try to eat rabbit poop and our lord in Christ we are trying to get poop out of your body not in loving stop

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hey cone buddy

She's not having a great day.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

She's in better spirits, watching a YouTube squirrel video.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm imagining someone screaming at their dog that is currently making GBS threads on the kitchen floor, exasperated, red faced, hat wrenched and twisted in their hands:

"You can't do this to me! This. Is. ILLEGAL!"

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

My 8 month old lab/pit has an eye that is just endless eye boogers. I have to wipe it out maybe 4-5 times a day. It comes away clean, and has always been like this. It's mostly the left eye.

Is this just her gross eyes or something potentially serious?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

cailleask posted:

I’ve worked with a trainer who does use aversive collars, but combined with heavy heavy positive reinforcement for desired behavior. I find that my dog does need to know her boundary of what I do NOT want, along with what I do want. Every dog is different, though.

Yeah, this was our breakthrough. Positive wasn't enough (it's still the vast, vast majority) but for things like keeping her from diving headfirst into the loving dish washer or trying to bodyslam the cat firmly holding the collar, giving her a "no- bad" then praising the followup calmer behavior helped her nearly immediately after months of failure.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

"I know, we'll feed the cat on the table where the puppy can't get"
Dog: *grows, gains incredible leaping power*

Ah, poo poo.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Sab669 posted:

The very first day I brought Bonnie home from the shelter, she saunters into the kitchen and jumps right up onto the kitchen table :staredog: very "wtf have I done" moment

I'm going to make a box to feed the cat in I guess. I can't put his food much higher, he's getting a bit older and I don't want him to have to have to take the great leap everytime he wants to eat :\

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Are these zits? Noticed Casey (8mo) getting them near her nipple and tummy area. Never saw zits on any other dogs we've owned.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I can't tell, are you sure it's not a tick? Kinda looks like a tick.

Checked with a vet student i know to hold us over until we can go into the vet proper. Shouldn't be a concern unless they start looking rough...

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Casey before day care

Casey after day care

"Aww she looks tuckered, did she play hard?"
"You think that's bad, you should see her victims."
"?"
"I mean playmates"

My puppy tilts until the machine breaks.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 23, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hi

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I wish our 9 month old carpet shark could learn to say hello in a way that wasn't oral and vertical. I'd like to have family over again.
Working on the jumping is going OK, but she just wants to mouth on everything.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Is a dog being afraid to pee around their owner a natural behavior that happens sometimes or is this something that a previous owner could have caused by aggressively shouting and making the dog afraid to pee in the presence of a human?

I'm asking so I can understand what I'm dealing with here. It needs to be corrected and he will not pee on walks. Today was more of the same. He holds the pee in during the walk and as soon as I let him inside he darts off acting like he's excited and looking around but haha NOPE he's going to pee now that he's inside and able to slink off. I left him outside a lot today, but even so I learned that he is definitely waiting for the walk to end so he can go inside, scurry out-of-sight, and ninja-pee. I cannot get him to pee on a walk.

I started monitoring water consumption. I moved the dog's bowls outside and had a talk about keeping all bathroom doors closed and toilet lids covered. As far as I know this dog wont drink water and should be dead by now. He had half a bowl of water over the entire day. I let my roommate watch the dog for a bit so they idk watched him for a bit and then left without letting me know. The dog chewed on some stuff and I found a bathroom door was open with the toilet lid uncovered so I think I know what happened. Suffice to say the total volume of piss on the carpet exceeds the volume of water he drank.

Leaving him outside while monitoring water consumption might help reduce indoor incidents but this doesn't help with establishing a desired behavior. He will not pee on walks. I try looking away and letting him sniff as long as he wants. He just wont go.

Another big issue is shyness/fear of pretty much everything and anything. I've gotten some looks because my dog is clearly scared and wants to go home but I'm a big meanie that's making him walk anyways. Today I found a treat he responds to somewhat but he really isn't food motivated so much as fear motivated. I don't have the energy to deal with this problem simultaneously. His housetraining is the priority and he absolutely needs to get walked until he is tired enough to come inside and chill. I can't have a neglected dog in the yard barking wildly at all hours. If he walks enough to mellow him out I can actually post itt with tired dog just chillin. So I have been an unmerciful dog-walker. I've done my best to let him know that I'm not mad at him. Walks are just a thing we are doing. Dogwalking is not a warcrime.

There's a temptation to give a dog poo poo if you catch them peeing where they shouldn't, but they can absolutely just build a negative association with peeing around you. That's a pretty common roadblock for people. The previous owners may have contributed to this. We had been going "no bad" when our dog peed inside and we caught her, we had to stop doing that and then just trade off having her on walks and with us until she went outside then threw a party when she did... it was so hard though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Casey please stop pulling the fluff out of everything through it's weak point like you're Anthony Hopkins in Fracture but the dog version :(

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've never had a person pet Chino without asking first. A bigger problem here is tons of people want to walk their dogs without a leash or just let their dog roam the neighborhood unsupervised all day. My dog loves people but seems mostly annoyed with other dogs. Young unleashed dogs always seen to want more from him socially than he wants to give, which leads to problems sometimes. I wish people just used leashes it's not that expensive or difficult to use.

I'm not a violent or aggressive person but the entitled boomer mouthbreathers in my neighborhood who think it's their god given right to have their dog off leash turns me into some sort of feral maniac. It's so loving disrespectful, inconsiderate and childish.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Michael Transactions posted:

Has anyone had luck with using a pet behaviorist? My puppy is still having a hard time getting used to the crate. She's a rescue so I wonder if she's had some trauma about it in the past. Hoping a pet behaviorist can help so I can have some of my life back.

My kennel offered a service that really helped us. Looked at the situation, gave us advice and drills and a plan. They just sold their services as "dog behavior correction."

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any consensus on anti-dog-barking devices? New neighbors and they're complaining about our dog; the dog DOES bark a lot, unfortunately.

Nothing that's set and forget that's any good i don't think. You can get non-shock vibration collars you manually fire to break a reactive dog out of its barking concentration if need be but you still need to do the reward when it stops to train them out of it. It's unfortunately just really hard to train out. We had a friend walk by multiple times to help us with the training to give the dog more chances. (Not an expert - just saying what worked for us, she still barks but much less)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

My Casey is a year old!

We're chilling by the fire tonight.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there a good source for buying stuffed toys in bulk? I'm looking to get 10 or 25 at once. My puppy Ranger is about 65 pounds and he murders them quick. Is there a known place to buy ones that squeak and are non toxic?

Not a place in particular, but,
I've been getting no-stuffing toys. You don't have to immediately chuck them if they get opened up and they're usually mate with better stitching it seems.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

People and dogs both make mistakes. You care, you're open to criticism and you're putting in the effort.

You're a good dog owner. It's ok.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Some dogs have a decrease in blood during their most fertile period then bleed more after but my dog has always bled like crazy the whole time. Her favorite place to hang out is on my coffee table. I go through a lot of clorox wipes.

I did just order her some new custom dog pants though because she sleeps in my bed now and free bleeding is no longer going to fly. She needs special ones because she hates me pulling her tail through the hole :rolleyes:

My foster dog is finally here! Meet Red!

He's batshit fuckin crazy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryplGPjTo-4

He spins whenever you lean over or try to pet him, which really makes putting his harness on interesting. He also attacks trees!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHvDN-IEpI

He hates Scout, eats anything that fits in his mouth to the point that he licks under my baseboards hoping for paper scraps, and if you stop throwing a ball for him he'll just stand on you and roll the ball off your body so it's like you throwing the ball. I was not warned that this dog is out of his mind so that's fun. The board of the rescue has approved getting him vet checked and potentially a behavior evaluation but I would really like this dog to be in a home that isn't mine.

Hope you have a place you can let her tear rear end. Or dog is similar (not as bad though) and going to the abandoned school near us that is gated in and telling her to "go, play" so she runs around like a maniac for like 20 minutes makes her so much calmer for the rest of the day.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Gaston

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

What a beautiful smile.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

That dog is the ideal presentation of the subject matter

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 17, 2023

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

So we're getting rid of all of the squeaky toys tonight, now. Jesus - I'm so sorry.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

cumpantry posted:

when torgal barks we just hold his mouth together and go shhhh.

Wait, that works?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

argh, why can't you stay still while i'm trying to trim your dew claws

Wigglebeans are hard

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

H13 posted:

- General feeling of things not being right. It feels like he's deliberately on his ABSOLUTE BEST BEHAVIOUR around me, almost like he's scared or shy or timid? This is resulting in me playing with him more often with his toys, giving him more treats and pets and rewards and assuring him he's good. If he was scared of me, I'm sure he wouldn't be coming up for playtime or hugs?

This is a you problem but you're not alone! We tend to infantilize our pets but they don't achieve a sense of safety and satisfaction the way that we do (I know you know this but spelling it out). If your dog is waiting on you, looking to you for approval and engaging with you on his best behavior you've conditioned in him, it's because you're a foundational point of safety for him. He's interacting with you the way that he is because you're satisfying his needs as a domesticated dog - this is the goal. Your little buddy is happy.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My dog caught a juvenile rabbit in the yard today. I didn't realize how accurate squeak toys are compared to rabbit noises

Yeah mine got a baby rabbit last spring, a few quick and hard murder shakes then threw it against a wall. My wife heard the noise it made from inside the house. Harrowing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I just learned my girl loves bell peppers.

Big crunches :)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Andoman posted:

This makes my blood boil. I have 3 dogs and 2 of them are sweetness and light, the third and smallest is a Jack Russell Terrier and it doesn't matter how friendly your dog is (or how big) she will make a concerted effort to eat it if it comes in range. She is on a lead for a reason ... its for your dogs protection not mine! It would be helpful if more owners had a bit of respect. As for letting dogs approach a dog with a cone ... I'm lost for words.

People get just loving indignant about being told to get their dog on a leash. I've never had someone be any less than an entitled mouthy prick about it, if they do it at all.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The worst I ever heard was some guy go "he's an off-leash dog." I'm pretty sure I just went aaahhhHHHHHH, like I didn't have the words for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I always struggle with what to do when some freaks off leash dog comes at me. Is it aggressive? Just noisy? Do I risk a bite? Boot it? What if I boot a friendly dog?

I got pulled down and had my hand hosed up by a German Shepard a guy was just letting chill on his front lawn unsupervised so I never trust myself.