Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

hi PI, not a regular here, but have a new puppy so just introducing Pochi in case I have questions down the line. Our 15 year old spitz/terrier mix Mitka passed away of essentially old age. She was my best friend and well loved, but it was her time. A family member who breeds American Eskimo dogs let us know after some time that she had taken in a couple of Japenese Spitz from an owner who died suddenly. She was able to send us Pochi on American Airlines, and she's here now. She is 7 months old and actually really well behaved. She is going to the vet this weekend to get all her paperwork filed and then we are signing up for some training classes. The biggest things we need to work on this week are training to let us know when she needs to go out (any good videos on this would be great) and training to teach her how to go up and down stairs. Currently we take her out every hour or so and give her a treat when she goes outside.

edit: we are signed up for the foundations class in a few weeks with a trainer with good reviews locally, do I need to tip the trainer?

alg fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

our vet always has walk ins, sometimes you have to wait an hour or two, but they are there. and its a very busy vet

alg
Mar 14, 2007

At our vet, a walk in visit is $120. Was that part of the $265?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure if this is the righ thread for it, but it’s puppy adjacent so I think it’s appropriate.

I had to put down my wonderful doggo a month ago and it’s been a rough ride ever since. I miss her every single day and keep expecting her to still be there. Like when I’m cooking, I look behind me to not step on her. Or thinking about going for a walk the first thing in the morning when waking up as well as when I want to go to bed. Whenever I walk into the living room or kitchen I look at the spots she used to sit or chill, still sort of expecting to see her. The rest of my family is feeling exactly the same way.

We’ve been so used to her being a part in every single day of our lives for over a decade that it’s incredibly difficult not having her around. We are a dog fam and we need a dog in our home…

Which leads to my question, what’s a good amount of time to start looking for a new dog, is a month too soon?

We lost our 15yo dog in April. We were going to take awhile and look for a new dog. We both WFH and so we had the same experience, plus sitting at home all day with no dog.

My wife's family member reached out to us the same week. She is an American Eskimo breeder and had a dog returned to her because the owner died suddenly. She wanted to know if we wanted her. She checked almost all our boxes, and was really a unique dog. We saw some pictures and videos, and we thought about it awhile, and I decided that it doesn't matter how long we wait to get a new dog. Our old dog is still with us in our memories, in all the pictures on the walls, in her paw print and her ashes. We decided to take in the new dog 2 weeks after our old dog passed. It was the right choice, for sure. We bonded with the new dog quickly and we still think / talk about our old dog with her, almost like she was her older sister.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

When we got our 7 month old puppy, she nips and mouths of course. We learned the inhibition training, where if she nips too hard, you shout or make a loud noise like OUCH, and she learns how hard she can nip. She learned this in under two days.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

scruffy dogs are the best

alg
Mar 14, 2007

my scruffy dog that passed in March

We have a 9 month old floof now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Dude, they're both so handsome. You have good taste in dogs.

Thanks. Mitka (scruffy) lived to 15, my wife got her from what we think was a hoarding or backyard breeder situation. She was extremely reactive, to the point we couldn't take her on walks around people or dogs. People couldn't visit us except family. It was tough but she was worth it - she was extremely sweet to us and super devoted. Working from home the last 3 years she was honestly the best thing.

Pochi (the fluff) came to us from a family member who breeds Eskimo dogs. She got her from someone who passed away suddenly. She is a puppy still and learning every day, but super super sweet and taking to training well. She is skittish but not reactive. We socialize her and she is in training classes with us. She arrived the same day as Mitka's ashes so it kinda felt right.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

our dog Pochi is a 14 pound Japanese Spitz and hers is 24x17 x 19high. She fits in it great and loves it. A 36" crate would probably be too big for your dog. 42" would be ridiculous. Our 23 pound terrier had the same crate as Pochi and loved it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Riatsala posted:

Hey, dipshit dog owner here. Dog is currently refusing to eat breakfast and obsessively eating grass. Obviously some digestive distress here but I have no idea how to respond. He seems otherwise alert and happy? He has never refused food or been into grass before.

If it were my dog, I would feed boiled chicken and rice in small quantities as long as he is still drinking water, and if it lasts longer than 24 or 48 hrs I would call the vet

Edit: assuming he is throwing up after eating grass

alg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 26, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Pochi is finally starting to come out of her shell at small dog play group :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7kxbCESD3s

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Usually I walk Pochi at lunch and late evening, but now she just gets late evening because its 100 fuckin degrees during the day.

edit: she goes out to go potty every hour or so in a shaded spot

alg
Mar 14, 2007

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Pochi has been building confidence lately. She is really excited to go on walks and sniff around a lot. She did a trial day for day training and did super well, so she will be going to 1 half day a week day training for 12 weeks.

She has started learning to sleep in bed, last night she cuddled up next to me and body blocked me into about 6" of bed all night. She also dreams a lot more than our old dog lol

alg
Mar 14, 2007

We have Pochi in "day training" that is a half day where she goes to the place we do our training (we also go once a week with her to a separate training class). The trainer is a behaviorist and is working with her on some fears (loud noises, cars). She is an expert and is really helping her confidence a lot - we can already see the difference. We had worked with someone already at home and not had much luck.

Her obedience, etc. we work with her on at training but I am happy to pay an expert in canine behavior to work with her on her other stuff. She is really really comfortable at the training facility since we have been taking her there (with us, for classes) since only a few weeks after she got to us.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Creature posted:

Thanks for the advice all :) I'll take a look at those links.

We have also considered rescues, however we're leaning towards a puppy as (like Kaiser Schnitzel posted) we like the idea of raising it, taking ownership of its behaviours/habits/weirdnesses, and watching as it develops into its own little personality.

Our apartment is decently sized, and in a few months we'll actually have an entire room which we'll be able to use as its 'safe' space, free of chewable wires and rugs and such. The area around us is very dog-friendly, with plenty of grassy areas and forests to explore.

We both work from home, which is one of the main reasons why we think a puppy is a better option - we'll actually be around to train it.

Edit: also, the rescue dog situation here is fairly limited - basically ‘emotional/behavioural issues’ or ‘stray from Eastern Europe’.

If you decide to go this route I strongly advise you to pick a local training school with a puppy class and a follow up class (the school we go to calls it Foundations). This is usually a once a week class at night where they train both of you. We didn't get to take Pochi to puppy class since she was 6 months when we got her, but all her other classes have helped her so much. And they are really cheap when it comes to pet stuff.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've read so many horror stories online of small dogs getting killed by off leash large dogs that I have considered getting something to carry with me when walking Pochi, I just don't know what's really appropriate

alg
Mar 14, 2007

this mystery respiratory illness really has me fuckin' worried. Pochi has done so well at training and I really don't want to pull her out of it. it has helped so much with her confidence.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Did you get her checked for kennel cough? It’s that time of year and the sooner you can get on the meds the better.

She doesn't have it, it's just the first time we've had a dog that spends significant amounts of time with other dogs.

Really just thinking of how badly bungled COVID was and applying that to a dog disease

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Pochi absolutely loved her crate when she first came home. Put herself to bed and spent a lot of time in it. 3/3/3 is absolutely true for stuff like this. It took her a few weeks to warm up to roaming the house, and a few months to be comfortable sleeping in our bed at night. Now she treats our bed like her bed, she sleeps in it all day while we work in the other room.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Stairs took about 3 weeks for Pochi because we have steep stairs in our townhouse. I just worked with her every day, what really got her was just sitting at the top of the stairs dropping treats down, and not pressuring her. Once she got it she went crazy with stairs and she loves running up and down now

alg
Mar 14, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Edit: also did some more research about the training place I mentioned earlier and decided against it. Most of their courses involve you leaving the dog there and picking up later as well as doing some one on one with the trainer. They also offer boarding. They have hundreds of positive google reviews but quite a few negative yelp reviews, most of which are about their boarding services (and a couple about their training). It’s very expensive, they have a super slick website, and it and seems to cater towards people who want to have somebody else do all the work; I want to pay somebody else to show me what to do based on Newton’s specific needs.

I would trust your gut; but I will say for us day training has worked really well. it isn't board and train, I drop Pochi off at 7:30 and pick her up at 5. She works with a behavior expert all morning and then a regular trainer in the afternoon. It has made a huge difference for us, she is like a different dog. The trainers provide us videos of each exercise and answer any questions, they will go over anything with us.

We also take Pochi to training classes once a week ourselves, and that has helped us, but we are just not as good at dog behavior as the experts.

Overall it is probably considered expensive, but it has been really really worth it for us. Her training facility is 100% positive reinforcement and they have taught us so much, but a lot of it has been exposing Pochi to new situations and getting her comfortable.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Pochi went out for her morning walk and the lawn crew was out with leaf blowers (for some reason) and she looked at them once, then happily went back to her walk sniffing everything :unsmith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Mitka, Xmas 2022, age 15

Pochi, Xmas 2023, age 1

alg
Mar 14, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm gonna need to move my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country soon. Can anyone recommend resources I should read up on? My understanding is basically that you get a particular kind of crate, put the dog in the crate, possibly drug them, check them in as checked luggage, and then fly.

My plan is to fly SFO to PHL, for which the only airlines offering direct flights are on American and United. American only lets large dogs travel on their "American Airline Cargo", which sounds like a setup where I wouldn't actually be traveling on the same flight as my dog. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker (I have family at the other end that could receive him) but it's definitely not ideal. United doesn't appear to allow large dogs at all; their policy is that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front, which simply isn't possible for anything other than small dogs.

Obligatory photo of Pavlov:

Pochi flew American to get to us. She did fine, even with a small layover. She flew from NH to NC, with a stop in DC for a few hours.

You cannot drug your dog to go in the hold of the plane. They can lose have trouble breathing at altitude (it is pressurized, but not the same).

Honestly, she did totally fine (as far as I know, I never met her before she flew to us, but she fit the same description our family member had for us personality wise) but if you are worried about it, you may want to drive.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I considered it, but it's over 40 hours of driving and my back doesn't appreciate sitting down for extended periods any more. Even just the cross-country flight requires some special considerations.

Plus of course, moving is stressful enough already, tacking on a really long drive on top of that wouldn't help any. And my car is a Nissan Leaf with a max range of 150 miles, so I'd have to rente something gas-powered...

I'd heard that about the drugs, and then other people said it was fine, but yeah, why take chances with respiratory failure? I expect Pavlov would be alright, stress-wise, without drugs in the hold of the plane. But he would not be alright with having a stranger let him out of the crate for a bathroom break, because he has trouble with people violating his (poorly-communicated) boundaries. I'd really prefer a nonstop flight where he's in the hold and I'm in the passenger compartment. But like I said, American and United both don't seem to allow that. :smith:

There are private options that I think will do some of this stuff, but I can't imagine how much they cost.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If you don't plan to breed your dog I can't imagine a good reason to leave it intact beyond whatever is recommended for growth for its breed

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Just ask your veterinarian how much to feed your dog. That's the only advice you need.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

For Pochi she has been good so far, even though we WFH and are home a lot. What we did was we started by going out for 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 1 hr, etc. leaving her in her crate.

I think your idea of doing crate time during the day is a good place to start.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

adnam posted:

What is everybody using for dog urine accidents? I used to use Urine Destroyer but that’s out of stock locally and on chewy.com/online.

Bissell pet stain and odor has worked ok for me, but all of them require a lot of work to really get the smell out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

I wish I could know what Newton’s past is because every day I find weird stuff. I didn’t teach him this.

https://i.imgur.com/zFo7lAp.mp4

my dog does this. he wants belly rubs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

prom candy posted:

Diego is home with us! First day was hard for all of us, he was pretty stressed after basically (in his mind) being dognapped from his family, my wife and I were both pretty emotional about having a dog in the house again and also getting a bunch of Stella's stuff back out. I hadn't actually had any breakdowns about her in a few months but they're back in a big way now. He's also been really dog reactive on walks and barking at dogs out of our front window. He was living in an 8th floor apartment before so I think having dogs (other than the one he was living with) just waltzing by is not something he's got any experience with. Last night was pretty rough as well, he didn't want to settle down anywhere and paced around or whined a lot of the night. Even though it's been 6 months since we lost Stella it still feels like whiplash going from a 13 year old dog with set routines and well known behaviours to a 3 year old dog that's stressed as gently caress and mostly an unknown quantity!

So all the rough stuff out of the way, he's super cute and affectionate, whip smart, and seems to love training. He's got 0 interest in his kibble in the bowl but is happy to work hard for it learning tricks. Yesterday he cuddled with me on the couch for a while and he seems to be learning his manners pretty quickly. Before Stella we had lots of fosters so it's been a while but we're not totally strangers to having a new dog in the house and the consistency required to get them up to speed.

Today he's been much more chill. I think we're going to pause on taking him out on walks or letting him look out the front window until he calms down some more. He can get plenty of exercise playing fetch in the backyard and mental stimulation from games and training inside the house. The previous owner said he had some leash reactivity when he was a puppy but that it was gone so I'm thinking we can just limit potential triggers until he's a bit more sure of us and our house and routines and then give it another try. Stella was dog reactive too so it's not new to us but by her senior years it was mostly just pulling and huffing and puffing at other dogs, or letting out some low growls at the window. If we can get Diego there I'll be happy.

He's cute and smart and I like him a lot but I also feel stressed and overwhelmed and guilty for getting a new dog but there's no going back now and I think he's gonna be a great addition to our household. Dogs man, they make you feel stuff.

We had some of the same stuff (and some not the same) when we picked up Pochi from airport cargo just a few weeks after Mitka passed. You are gonna do great.

Pochi when we picked her up, never having met her, from airport cargo:

Pochi day 2:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Thank you for sharing that first photo. I'm going to be shipping my boy Pavlov across the country, as part of my own move from California to Philadelphia. I am, of course, stressed out about the entire process. It's going to include moving him to a kennel for a couple of days while the movers empty out my house, going to a pet-friendly hotel, waking up at 4AM on the day of the flight, dropping him off at the airport, returning a car, then checking in myself for the same flight. And hoping like hell the flight doesn't get delayed or canceled.

I bought a new (gigantic, to my eyes, but what the airlines require) travel crate for him, and stuck his bed in it, so he can start working on acclimating.

If y'all have any flying-with-dogs stories you want to share, please do!

The common sense approach, and what most people online say, is that dogs cannot handle air travel and only to do cross country drives. I think that makes sense and I understand it. But moving is a special situation which just requires certain sacrifices sometimes.

When we decided to take Pochi in, she was sent to us on American Airlines from NH. I think it was a 2hr flight to DC, 3 hour layover, then 1 hour flight to us in NC. She honestly did not seem terrified at all - she was out of water but otherwise seemed fine. We had already been told she is skittish (which months of day training and us taking her to training classes have totally helped) but she seemed to do OK on the airplane, especially since someone she had never met was taking her home.

When she arrived, we went up to her crate, put our hands on it and she started licking us immediately.

I put her in the car, we got home and put her crate at the end of a long hallway and put water by us. She came and got water, and she was skittish for that evening, but even that night she was cuddling me on the couch and playing with toys.

I can say American Airlines did not harm her at all physically, and seemed to have no effect on her mentally. I bet she just laid down in her crate for the whole trip.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

we use store brand Cheerios for Pochi for low calorie treats and she is crazy about them

alg
Mar 14, 2007

pizzadog posted:

Adopted this rescue senior bull terrier after tragic passing of my pitbull last year. Her name is Dawn but she doesn't know it. She can't hear or see well.

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/QSO1mL4

Don't really know her story except one of severe medical neglect, at least. She was unaltered at approximately 13 years old, had toxic teeth and cancerous masses, dry goopy eyes and deformed paw pads, and many weeping hot spots and sun blisters. She also has a pretty bad heart valve and DCM. She's got baseball mitts for paws. She likes food, cuddling, sleeping, knocking over any furniture she can walk under, peeing and pooping in the house especially if it's rainy and cold, and making no noise whatsoever.
She spins in circles for dinner time (which is any time after 1pm) and will jump and punch me, but will not walk. So now she has a stroller. Her skin issues have pretty much gone away after maintaining a diet high in omegas, no chicken, and not grain-free. I was giving medicated bathes which i might continue just cuz she likes it too.
She loves kids and people as long as they pet her and scratch her neck, or give her food, and doesn't pay any mind to other dogs, cats, anything.
She does not know what toys are/are for. If it's not food she doesn't care. Even kongs with peanut butter are too hard for her to figure out with her poor sight.

jesus, that poor doggie. you are doing something special

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Not a certified dog behaviorist, but I wouldn't blame anyone in that situation, especially if other stuff had already been taken away OK. Not your wife's fault imo

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Pochi and her crew at Day Training. She is actually helping other dogs develop their confidence too

alg
Mar 14, 2007

One of the keys for Pochi was to stand in her bathroom spot until she went. She didn't get any fun sniffing until she went. We didn't go back inside until she went. It took her awhile but she's very independent.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

So did the whole respiratory scare at the end of last year just kind of fizzle out or become endemic? I think I remember reading something about how it turned out to just be a combination of a few things? But I’ve not seen anything about it in the last few months.

Been asking the same thing. My vet (the lead vet, tons of exp, really good) basically said it was a few other common respiratory things they deal with but all at once. I would love to hear something more scientific, but Pochi has been going to training classes with us pretty much since it started, and day training once a week, and we haven't heard of any dogs there getting it, so...not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Millie would like for everyone to take a nap.

Pochi's in