Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Ok my puppy broke me today: she simply will not pee outside. We have turf, I've sprayed it with some "attractor" stuff. I have a leash. I watch her like a hawk inside and the second she's sniffing around, I take her out to the pee spot. She just sits there like a dumbass for upwards of ten minutes in the same spot and when I give up and assume she has nothing, we go inside and she pees at the earliest opportunity.

What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Boot and Rally posted:

It sounds like she is taking the trip outside as a chance to explore (or the fear thing mentioned earlier). Once she is back in familiar territory and she isn't as focused on the new surroundings, she relieves herself. How old is the puppy? Do you take her to the same spot every time? At other times do you play with her in that spot? Does she forget to pee every time you get her outside, including in the mornings?

This was it. She's 9 weeks old. I just assumed she would decide where she wanted to make her "spot" outside, but it's just too exciting out here! We plopped a wire fence around a portion of the turf and potty train in there. I would use a leash if I could, but my partner is recovering from back surgery so any leash tugs are pretty stressful for her right now. Pen lets us make it stress free and chill.

Boot and Rally posted:

I found the idea that you can tell your dog is going to pee very dubious. Once, my puppy was watching birds while sitting at a window, and without breaking eye contact with said birds, lifted her haunches a few inches and relieved herself. Now I read "watching your dog" as "doing something with your dog" because if I don't have her focus she can lose it.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah sometimes Maple goes from tearing around the house and playing to peeing without so much as a sniff between.

Puppies, man :shrug:

I did not mean to imply I am very successful at preventing her from peeing inside! After a few days I think I'm learning to recognize the cues, though: we're playing and having a good time and she's suddenly overcome with a need to start sniffing around looking for something. If we don't intervene, she's SO FAST and will do a pee squat. Last night I was determined to get her to poop outside. It's day 5 and it's been nothing but poop accidents in the house. We'd had moderate success peeing outside, but poops? Nope. This little dog was DETERMINED to poop inside. I knew it too, because I caught her right as she arched her back and squared up for a poop but I was able to intervene and get her into the backyard.

20 minutes followed in the pen where I said "go potty" and coaxed her to no avail so I brought her back in and played with her more. Every ~10 minutes or so you could just see the lightbulb go on and she'd drop whatever she was focused on and go off sniffing looking for a place to deposit. So again I'm following her around and she's starting to realize I'm onto her tactics. It was honestly pretty funny, I was careful not to make it scary but I think she started to get annoyed that I knew she wanted to poop in the house! So I'd take her out as soon as she was showing those same cues. In the pen, she'd stare me down and refuse to poop. This went on for 90 loving minutes of extended periods in the backyard and then back inside to play until she tried to sneak off again. Finally, I put her in once more and this time, her normal "sniff around and maybe decide to pee or just sit and stare at you" routine turned into frantically sniffing and looking around for anywhere but inside the pen to poop. She finally gave in and did the deed. I threw her a loving party and gave her like 5 treats and told her what an amazing dog she is. Now she's grokked it and we're getting pretty consistent potty breaks with an occasional accident in the house instead of the inverse. Pee within the first minute of being at her spot, Poops take a bit longer but not what feels like forever/never.

Rexxed posted:

You've really got to be more stubborn than your dog, which can be difficult. Ten minutes is probably not long enough. If you go back inside you can leash her to you (put the leash on your belt or something) so that she won't be able to sneak away and pee. The main thing is to get her going outside at any cost (sanity, time) and then give her lots of praise for going without being scary about it. Also once she's gone outside you can bring her back to the area she went to help her find it again. It can be scary sometimes for dogs to go in a new place, they'd rather go in the house where they're used to going and are comfortable.

Thanks, this was the sanity check I needed!

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 11, 2024