Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Does everyone else's dog flop down when it comes to laying down, or do they settle gradually?

Jarvis goes from standing to laying down in an instant. Banging his elbows and heels and whatever else on the floor. It seems uncomfortable, but he doesn't seem to give a poo poo. It's funny because when he does it on the hard floor we can hear it across the house.

Our hound mutt has done this her whole life, she's almost 7. She just pulls up her legs and drops, but she now only does it on soft surfaces. He'll figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Dog behavior question.

We frequently dogsit a Lab/Great Dane mix who is now scared of the grass in our back yard. He's stayed with us several times, and has had zero issues with the grass, but for whatever reason, he's now insisting on only walking around the perimeter of the yard (where one side has a strip of dead grass and the other sides are rocks/gardens), and absolutely won't go through the middle of the yard on his own, even if bribed with treats.

Nothing has changed with the grass or yard since he was last here, and he has zero issue going through grass in other yards (our front yard, or anything he goes by on a walk) so we're baffled as to what's going on.

My hound mutt does something similar. She hates poop.

The more she poops in the yard, the less yard she’ll use until she’ll only go about 2 feet out to pee. Eventually it snows or somehow resets in her mind. She much prefers to poop anywhere else. Keeping yard clear slows down the process, but doesn’t stop it.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Greetings dog thread. My dog got skunked last night. We gave her a bath immediately. She has a vet appointment today. Any advice?

Did you do the classic dish soap/peroxide/baking soda cleaning? That’s the most important thing. It’s usually recommended before a bath, but it’ll still help now if you haven’t. There’s also some commercial skunk smell removers you can find. I think Natures Miracle does a decent one.

But you won’t get completely rid of it for a while. We usually tossed any collars or anything that was associated. If they’re a long furred breed, a shave then more anti-smell could go a long way too (they might even appreciate it during the summer). But be prepared to smell it on them for a while, especially when wet.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I just noticed my dog seems to be growing another claw out of her paw pad?

She has fluffy feet, so I don't normally see them, but I just noticed this today.

It doesn't seem to bother her, but it can't be comfortable.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I was hoping to not hear that.

I guess I'll book her. It doesn't seem to bother her, so at least there's no rush.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on an extendable leash? For an 85lb black lab? We only have a 6-footer and took him to the lake today and would have liked to let him swim around a bit more. Didn’t want to let him off leash since there were other people and dogs around.

For swimming, especially in places with sand, you really don't want an extendable/retractable leash. Sand and water getting in to the mechanism will destroy it super quickly. Even worse if it were saltwater.

I'd recommend just a long tough leash/rope.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
An update from the picture I posted a few weeks ago from when it looked like my dog was growing an extra claw.

We had it removed and the lab says it was an inverted viral papilloma. But it's unlikely to spread or return, so that's good.

Of course now she's depressed because she can't run around or go outside without a (hated) boot. She's gone from indomitable happy and active to not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. And as annoying as that often was, it kills my soul to see her like this.

Thankfully the bandage comes off and the stitches come out on Monday. I can't wait to see the change back when that happens.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

a strange fowl posted:

iris crumbled up and ate about 30% of a tennis ball a week ago, she passed fragments in her poop over the past few days but today at 5am vomited up a big chunk. i hope that's the last of it, i've been sick with worry waiting for complications. she vomited again immediately after her breakfast today, but her appetite is still ok (she ate the vomit :gonk:) so i'm hoping it was just residual stomach irritation. right now she seems fine, we went for a walk and she chased rabbits. i really cannot afford surgery right now. no more tennis balls for her.

My hound did this when she was a puppy, never had any adverse effects beyond what you’ve experienced. As long as food keeps going in and coming out the other end, she’ll be fine. And it sounds like all the big, potentially obstructive piece have been expelled. Just keep keeping an eye on things, and if they keep vomiting or stop pooping then it’s vet time. If not it’s just a fun puppy story.

a strange fowl posted:

iris has jaws like a drat hyaena. she's only just started eating her toys, once she shreds them, so i'm having to watch her very closely. the amount of rubber that's come out of her now looks more or less equal to the amount that went in, so i hope this ordeal is over.

My hound is a super chewer too,she’s gone through lots of Kong products and tough things. She just needs things taken away if she decides to destroy it.

Oddly enough, she’s named after a hyena that was in one of the clans my wife studied for her PhD. We chose the name because of her chewing tendencies, colours, and mischievous nature.

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 24, 2023

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My husky mutt has her hair stand up every time she sees other dogs, even her best friends who she sees every day at the dog park and has never, ever had issues with (she’s never had issues with any dogs, the only trouble she ever had was multiple unfamiliar big dogs, all standing over and sniffing at her at once her at once. And even then it was a a lot of noise and attempting to escape the situation, and was friends with them 10 minutes later).

It just seems to stand up when she’s excited.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whenever I try to pet Pavlov, he turns away from me and sits down. He wants to be petted, he just doesn't want to look at me while I'm doing it. :qq:

Mine only do that when they want butt scratches.

Every dog loves butt scratches.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
At a few different places we’ve lived, the crows dropped stuff for my dogs all the time. Peanuts and empty peanut shells, bones, random junk.

They love the crows and the crows seem to love them, even though they chase the crows if they’re on the ground.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
One of my favourite memories of my dog as a puppy was when she learned to ring the bell. She got so excited as she rang it (a whole lot) and we went outside, you could tell she was so happy that she told the humans what she needed and the humans actually listened!

It was the first time actually felt she communicated with her people.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

You can order it from Australia for $100 a year :shrug:

Where's this?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My dog has the same problem with solid inflexible Frisbees.

I highly recommend flexible Frisbees or Frisbees with a hole in the middle, or some combination thereof.

Makes it easier to pick up, and with flexible Frisbees, they can fold in half leading to hilarity when they're holding it folded in their mouth and it looks like they have giant red lips.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

Yeah I grabbed this one because it was super cheap and I wasn’t sure he was going to like it, which was the right move at the time since it flew in a haunted floating fashion and not a tumbling parabolic arc like an honest god-fearing stick and was not to be trusted. Time for an investment grade dog specific frisbee, I like the ring ones too so he can grab it from the inside and it makes a ring around his head.

My dog prefers the ring style too, I'm pretty sure it's so she can see better while carrying it.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I made something for my dogs.

It's an extendable ball thrower. I hated walking to the park carrying a 2 foot long chuckit, so I spent some down time putting things together in TinkerCAD, 3D printed them, then improved from there. This is the first version I'm comfortable actually showing to people.

It works really great. The whole thing is about 9.5" when collapsed and 2.5ish feet when extended.

If you have access to a 3d printer and want one, shoot me a DM and I'll share the files. I'd really appreciate some constructive criticism on it before I post it for the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it spring loaded?
I think that's illegal in my state

Nope. Just gravity/centrifugal force. There's an elastic on a hook to keep it closed, but that's all it does. Once it's extended the friction keeps it all in place.

I didn't print in black specifically to make it look less like a police baton, which is a prohibited weapon here.