Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Make sure you're learning things like personality and weighing that far far above appearance. It's very easy to fall in love with a photo and realize later you've made a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
The trick to pooping on cue (probably the most practical thing I have ever taught my dog, ever) is making sure they're getting rewarded for popping a squat. As soon as you see that "I'm sniffing in that way that means I'm about to take a dump," that's when you want to say "go poop" (but not so loud or enthusiastic that they startle or get distracted). When they're pooping, have reward party and then treat treat treat treat, then is a good time to have playtime. Afterward, nap in crate is also great practice.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Do not give this "breeder" a cent of your money. This is the worst idea i've seen in a long time, and i work for people who literally cause their own dogs' resource guarding or separation anxiety problems.

EDIT: why on earth would you think this is a good idea after you claim you've read this thread??

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tramii posted:

A quick spray of water to the face has worked very well for my Boston Terrier. I've only had to use it a handful of times and now I can just hold the bottle in front of him to get the same effect. Only used it to curb extremely bad/dangerous behavior like chewing on power cords.

IMO if you have to continue to have a thing in hand to get a behavior past the initial learning stage (whether it's a treat or a correction tool), you probably need to try something else or progress beyond that point.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
If she's taking it from your hand, make use of that and go ahead and handfeed for a bit while she settles in. It'll strengthen the bond between you, help her see that you are the bearer of All Good Things, and gets her accustomed to the idea that you're going to dispense food for things (which will be handy when you want to train). If she's relaxed enough, you can use meal time to start practicing some things like wait or settle, which will help build comfort and impulse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Superconsndar posted:

lmao literally no human being on this gay earth with an actual behavior degree would teach dominance theory

this. loving ask me how i know