Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Postin my dogs

From right to left

Piper: Greyhound

Freya: Whippet

Luna: Potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gangringo posted:

To go back to treat talk from a while back what is the best dollar to minutes of chewing ratio in a product that is available in multiple single serving pieces among the various animal genital and organ products?

My dog has decided her jaw isn't getting enough exercise and has been taking it out on various non-edible things.

Get another dog, have them chew on each other until tired.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I'm legit worried about my dogs going to the vet today for their routine shots because of all the poo poo going around.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

Hello friends, we are fostering to adopt, JoJo, who we think is a husky/pitbull mix puppy. He is estimated 15 weeks old. The shelter wants us to bring him in to be neutered this weekend. After doing research it seems there are a few studies that show early neutering in large breeds can lead to increased joint problems and even increased cancer risk(breed dependent).

With huskies already being prone to hip dysplasia I really don't want to add any additional risk. I feel like knowing this information I should do my best for this guy to have a long healthy life. If I know those issues can be avoided I really would like to since the dog's long term health is something my family has to deal with long after the shelter is gone.

Is there anything we can do to convince the shelter to let us adopt this guy without getting neutered? I spoke to the shelter and the person I spoke with said "yeah there are studies showing those things! but still..." I also offered to sign a contract saying I would be liable if he's not neutered by 13 months and gets anyone pregnant before then and they didn't even acknowledge it. I asked if they could do it later in December and they said they're already booked up for the rest of the month. This place is being closed by the city on Dec 31st so everything is more difficult than it needs to be.

Here's a pic of JoJo as a tax for presenting you with this problem.

If it's being closed by the city, contact the city's animal welfare department with your concerns, I'm sure you can get some official there to help you if they are shutting that place down, and they can have someone make sure you do the neutering.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

We've had our dog for almost 4 months now and she still absolutely refuses to walk over the threshold of the back door and demands to be picked up every time. She loves the house, she loves the backyard, she is terrified of the boundary between them :shrug: The shelter warned us that rescues often struggle with doors and she doesn't love them in general but for whatever reason that door in particular is the worst.

Mine still has issues with coming into the kitchen... where the food is, sometimes she just balks at the kitchen threshold.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

In many cities the COVID-era adoption boom is finally reversing, and shelters are seeing a flood of 3-5 year old dogs. One of my friends volunteers at a no-kill shelter in Atlanta, and they've had to stop accepting dogs for the first time in several years. She said it's the same story all over the city.

Pit bulls are more difficult to adopt out than other breeds because of a mostly* undeserved reputation of being dangerous or aggressive. They tend to make up the majority of dogs for adoption in a lot of shelters, so it wouldn't surprise me if they waived fees to try to get some of them into good homes.

* It would be completely undeserved, except that too many people see pit bulls as status dogs (ie. "I have this badass dangerous dog") and turn out to be lovely owners.

My neighbor has two and the biggest danger to me is them headbutting me in the crotch by accident while trying to lick me to death.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

One of my doggos is a purebred napping machine.

The other two are more follow you around eternally in case you have food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

we dna tested our rescue, got 15 different breeds identified

many large breeds and 2% chihuahua... guess how large she is