Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just brought my new buddy Campion home, just about three months after losing my beloved Chuubo to a plastic squeaker (never touching a squeaky toy again). He's an eight-week-old golden retriever, and this will be my first time raising an actual puppy.

Are there any best practices regarding where to register his microchip? It seems like there are a lot of options and Google is useless as per usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

A squeeky toy?... That's awful. I assume a choking hazard.

Well, it stuck in his stomach and the operation to remove it went wrong when the ligatures came undone. It was a really bad time for me. It's really quite amazing that those things are so common given how determined dogs are to swallow the squeaky bit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

Raised by Wolves?

Please say yes.

No, it's from the Golden Age of Detection.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Little Campion is now four months old and has been making really good progress on his house training, but today he's had six accidents, no matter how frequently I take him out. I'm not sure what's happened to cause this backsliding, or if it could possibly mean he's sick or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Indoor peeing is self reinforcing, once it happens a few times and the scent is there it gets harder to fix. Get some enzymatic cleaning poo poo ASAP and clean all the spots he peed as thoroughly as you can, and meanwhile watch him like a hawk, if you notice him sniffing at all, take him out. Eating or drinking any amount, take him out. Just woke up from a nap, take him out. Getting ready for bed, take him out. Don't go back in until he pees at least a little bit (dogs don't normally empty their bladders completely so this should be every time)

Have a party whenever he does pee outside, lots of praise and maybe some treats, nothing too smelly that he might realize you have before he pees.

E: I think it's fairly common for dogs to backslide on house training a little bit when they reach adolescence, which you may be getting into at 4 months (loosely accepted as being 6 months to 2 years)

Mysteriously, the next day he was back to being a perfect angel for no apparent reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chewy will sell you pretty much anything cheaper if you set it to automatically order once a month.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Getting a lot of comments on how gentle and well-behaved Campion is, not to mention handsome, which is extremely flattering. Hopefully he continues this way as we approach the seven-month mark.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I got into an argument with an rear end in a top hat at the park the other day (or rather, my trainer, who was there with me did) after his dog pinned mine and he yelled at us for touching his dog and insisted that we remove his dog from my dog without touching his dog.

Then he spent a lot of time yelling at us because Campion isn't fixed, which is technically against the park rules. As a golden, I'm told he shouldn't be fixed until he's two years old (he is now six months old). He told us the vet was wrong about this.

I'm happy writing that guy off, but I do worry about what the year-and-a-half long gap before Campion can be neutered is going to mean for us in practice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Campion brought in an old, dirty, cracked plastic spoon from out of the yard. I really hope he didn't eat any of the bits that weren't on it still.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I thought I should post a few pictures of this little guy! Campion is now eight months old and he's an angel who loves everybody, although for the sake of my dog-phobic mother we're trying hard to teach him not to jump on visitors. The snuffle mat is helping a bit, but it's a process.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yes, three cheers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm a little concerned lately at how much time Campion, a nine-month-old golden retriever, spends breathing heavily while doing nothing in particular. He's not panting, and he has plenty of water (not that it's hot), but he spends a lot of time breathing loud, short breaths that make me wonder if something is going on. Is this a sign of nervousness or something?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So far the vet seems confident that he's just excited and anxious as a puppy teenager (albeit loud).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I took Campion to the vet today and they confirmed that his heart and lungs are both strong, so it seems like the constant panting is just anxiety, although I'm still not sure exactly what could be causing it other than hormones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Campion is now about a year old, and the doctor tells me he's a bit overweight (hard to tell with all the floof), which may be why he puffs so much. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a call with some insight on what to feed him, which I'll appreciate because I've been feeding him 3 cups of Purina Complete Puppy Chow a day, and when I checked Purina's website, they think I should be feeding a year-old golden retriever 5 cups a day rather than reducing his intake.