Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How can I get my two little dogs more accustomed to opossums, and not freak out at them?

We have a thriving opossum population and I love them, but my dogs don't. I don't think the dogs actually attack them, they just get really close and terrorize the poor things, and I have to go break up a close encounter like once a week.

I want to help them coexist! The only thing I've tried so far is making the dogs sit at a safe distance and look at the opossum, and reward them for being calm while in close proximity to one. Should I just keep doing that?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Man Musk posted:

our puppy we rescued right before coronavirus hit the news <3

I love this hairy void demon.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

We used treat rewards and intensively trained our dog to go up and down the doggy stairs for like an hour. In our case though he had arthritis and didn't WANT to jump up and down, which might not be the case for yours.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

An adorable baby opossum has moved into our yard, and we have nightly encounters with the little guy now. It's definitely here to stay. Any suggestions on getting our small dogs to tolerate/ignore it?

Our younger dog is chill and will find it and bark a few times to inform us "holy poo poo I found the opossum!", but the older one is way too aggressive and goes on the warpath every night, and I'm fairly sure he bit the little guy on his butt once.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 22, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Our 14 year old Schipperke has been suffering from congestive heart failure for over a year, and last night deteriorated majorly. She can't walk more than a few feet. We're probably going to have to put her down tomorrow. :(

Was wondering if anyone has any tips to help her poop, she keeps trying to but is too weak to make the posture. We want to help her feel comfortable tonight.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have an old dog poop question!

Our 14 year old good boy (chihuahua), who previously had only had indoor accidents like four times in his entire life, has now pooped on the floor almost every night for the last 5 nights.

The first few times it was diarrhea, so we assumed it was just digestive problems, and fed him rice. But now he's doing healthy poops on the floor. He sneaks out of bed around 3-4am while we're asleep to do butt crimes, like clockwork.

I'm wondering: is this senile behavior (he already exhibits other senile behaviors like going to the wrong side of a closed door, and pacing at night) or could it be something else?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

This is the same thing that happened with my elderly dog. At some point he just couldn't hold it all night anymore, so he started having accidents every now and then. He'd been flawless about going outside his entire life before he got old.

The vet said it wasn't a particularly abnormal or worrisome thing for a dog that old.

Since yours had diarrhea, you may want to check with your vet just to be safe, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for the info. Were you able to train him with a pad or anything to help? It's strange that this started happening nightly, all at once, so I wonder if the original diarrhea was due to sickness, but it gave him "permission" in his mind to relieve himself inside at night.

We fortunately have a doggy door, but it's a screen door so there's a security risk... will have to talk to the wife and weigh the pros/cons of giving him yard access all night.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Has anyone tried Librela shots for their senior arthritic dog? The news articles seem to praise it, but then there is also a community of Facebook posters claiming it maimed and killed their dogs.

Obviously Facebook sucks and I can't rely on that, but what is the consensus here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Welp, our 18 year old deaf, senile Chihuahua is scheduled for an eye removal tomorrow morning. His remaining eye is 90% blind already. It's no surprise, because he's spent a lifetime abusing his eyes, running them into things. It was just a matter of time before he went fully blind.

Anyone got advice for caring for a blind, deaf, old dog? He still loves cuddles and eating, so we're not in any hurry to put him down, which is both a blessing and a curse I suppose.

His dumb rear end will probably live another 5 years to inconvenience us as much as possible.