Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Hi Thread!

This is Nika, a 5 month old Siberian Husky/American Bully/Pitbull rescue:

She was adopted at 4 months. I spend about 30 minutes a day on training with her and she is doing great! She has gone from only responding when I have food, to responding 50%+ when I'm empty handed. She stopped pulling on the leash during walks. All around a 11/10 dog.

She has started whining at the door she goes out when she has to go to the bathroom, which is awesome! However she sometimes whines really often. How is that a dog that crates through the night has to go outside every hour to pee? Today I didn't take her out when she was whining because she had been out less than an hour prior, and predictably she found her own solution in the hallway. Totally my fault.

Is there a method for training her to wait longer or is that something that just happens with time? I might be really over thinking this. This is my first dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

cailleask posted:

Is she actually going pee when she goes out? That would be my guess- she’s doing out to patrol and not actually peeing. Could she have a UTI or something?

Yes, as near as I can tell every time she goes out she pees. It is just weird to me that when I can't be home all day she is in her crate just fine for 4 hours, but when I am home it is every hour is pee time (when she isn't in her crate because I can't watch her).

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice everyone. It sounds like I need to monitor what Nika is drinking to make sure she isn't gulping down too much in one sitting.

Yesterday she walked over to the door we go through when she goes outside to pee, and just peed. After several days of sitting and announcing the need to go out and getting longer between requests to go out and being let out every time. I get the feeling that she hasn't quite figured it out yet.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
My girlfriend has a golden retriever that nibbles like you describe. She isn't eating the thing, and isn't trying to. It is almost like she is wiping her front teeth or suckling. She does it mostly to her favorite toy, but if you pet her long enough and she gets excited, she'll do it too.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

And that dog hasn't died or exploded or anything?

No, but she did run into a fence at full speed the other day.

It was one of those orange temporary construction fences. She was fine.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
It sounds like she is taking the trip outside as a chance to explore (or the fear thing mentioned earlier). Once she is back in familiar territory and she isn't as focused on the new surroundings, she relieves herself. How old is the puppy? Do you take her to the same spot every time? At other times do you play with her in that spot? Does she forget to pee every time you get her outside, including in the mornings?

If your puppy has been in her crate while you sleep, she will have to pee when you first let her out in the morning. If you go out and wait around for 10 minutes and she doesn't pee, she should go back into her crate. Try again in ~30 minutes. Only after she has relieved herself outside can she come out of the crate for food and fun times.

I found the idea that you can tell your dog is going to pee very dubious. Once, my puppy was watching birds while sitting at a window, and without breaking eye contact with said birds, lifted her haunches a few inches and relieved herself. Now I read "watching your dog" as "doing something with your dog" because if I don't have her focus she can lose it.