Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I haven’t really seen K-Isekais start with chapters of their ordinary lives on earth, but I have seen them have really extensive flashbacks that pop up kind of randomly. Usually involving them being super poor or suffering some kind of misfortune.

Jose posted:

Having read so much trash while injured that I forget what is what I read a series, probably asura scans but maybe not, that is someone reincarnating into a world with guilds and stuff and he teaches on of the guild masters some lightning skill as he's school friends with the son. The son gets kidnapped by a rival guild who gets destroyed. This isn't the best description but about all I can remember. It's probably on a season break. Anyone know what it was? I don't think it had gates with stuff like a lot of series

I’ve read most of the stuff on Asura Scans and this isn’t really ringing any bells for me. What kind of world did he reincarnate to? Video game world, Tower with various floors, medieval Europe style fantasy, ancient China style fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Regular world possibly from the future and it's not player from 10000 years in the future. Might be a murim person isekaing into the real world

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Argue posted:

Man what is it with Korean isekai going in the opposite direction from Japanese ones--in Japanese ones a common criticism is that we know nothing about the main character before the transmigration, but in Korean ones, they spend like 1 to 3 chapters in their world in a completely different genre of manhwa with its own supporting cast and character relationships before the main character gets mugged by an unknown assailant (which seems to be their version of a truck), then they get isekaied and we never see or hear from any of these characters again

I actually haven't seen many Korean isekai - it seems like the two most common similar genres are "portals opening up in the real world and people getting powers to fight them" and "VRMMO"

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
There are a ton of Korean comics about transmigrating into a novel/video game. Some of them even have male protagonists.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started reading a korean webtoon, "Maybe Meant to Be"

no crazy monsters or powers.

Just a regular lovey dovey marriage series.

Two characters over 30 unmarried (used to be old childhood friends) decide to spontaneously marry so their parents stop bothering them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GateOfD posted:

started reading a korean webtoon, "Maybe Meant to Be"

no crazy monsters or powers.

Just a regular lovey dovey marriage series.

Two characters over 30 unmarried (used to be old childhood friends) decide to spontaneously marry so their parents stop bothering them.

It's alright.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i'm done with surviving the game as a barbarian. seriously, gently caress this trash. there's a barbarian lady in it who is big, tall, swole and all around great. the latest chapter took away her height and muscles, making her more conventionally attractive.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, i'm done with surviving the game as a barbarian. seriously, gently caress this trash. there's a barbarian lady in it who is big, tall, swole and all around great. the latest chapter took away her height and muscles, making her more conventionally attractive.

according to book readers this apparently got so much backlash in the book that she's reverted a few chapters later, so don't panic yet

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
in the web novel barbarian girl goes off to train in barbarian land for like 100 chapters shortly after that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

in the web novel barbarian girl goes off to train in barbarian land for like 100 chapters shortly after that

that sounds like another reason to stop reading it. i like her way more than the mc.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the beginning was okay, but not a fan of the type of game its simulating.
wish it went into more of the different race cultures, but it really didn't expand on it much after the first few descriptive traits and just focused on the boring generic dungeon crawling.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've finished catching up to the current translations for Fist Demon of Mt. Hua and I've been enjoying the story overall. The premise is a boy is saved by a group of the illustrious Mount Hua martial artists. However one of his legs is lame and it prevents him from learning the traditional styles of his sect. With an unbreakable determination and the support of his master, a scholar with a wide depth of knowledge in martial arts, they begin to devise a style that will suit his limitations.

The first step is to turn him into a human battering ram rail canon. If he can't have fancy footwork he must charge his opponents with speed and concentrate all his might and force into a single point. From there tragedy and opportunity continue to mold him into an absolute monster of a fighter. A figurative Saitama if you will.

In recent years I've gotten a lot more familiar with certain recurring elements to these Jianghu-based stories so I'm less and less confused about the various factions and sects. Makes it a bit easier to keep up with things as this story does deal with things like the formation of the Murim Alliance and the war with the demonic cult.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
knight king who returned with a god is mostly very mid, but i fuckin' love jagd spinne. it's an autonomous combat robot spider that became a holy knight.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

knight king who returned with a god is mostly very mid, but i fuckin' love jagd spinne. it's an autonomous combat robot spider that became a holy knight.

great little robit

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Lil spider knight is cool as hell

Everyone being extra horrified by the MC’s intense Orc racism was funny but I’m hoping the story isn’t going to keep retreading that or else I’ll drop it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Reiche posted:

Lil spider knight is cool as hell

Everyone being extra horrified by the MC’s intense Orc racism was funny but I’m hoping the story isn’t going to keep retreading that or else I’ll drop it

that was kind of funny, but in a very uncomfortable way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone read Real Man? https://suryascans.com/manga/rm/

Regression manwha but very well done artwork, pacing etc. Feels much more like "It's a Wonderful Life" vs like regression isekai. Guy becomes CEO of "Hansung" (totally Samsung) in his late 40s or so and upon doing so realizes he's basically lost all his friends and destroyed his marriage and any other notable relationship to get there.

Gets to go back and decides to instead of sacrificing everyone around him to be successful chooses to elevate and help those around him to be better.

It's a good read imo and I never thought I would think a story about making cellphones and working in the business side of the tech industry to be interesting but it goes over well.

Any other business manhwa out there anyone like? There's a few I've checked out, some of them end up being decent enough. Nice change of pace from murim or dungeon type stuff out there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I've also been liking Overpowered Sword

Karen's so cool

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Reading one and all the guys and guys have like the same surname and I can’t tell who is who.
I can’t even tell which names are the feminine ones or the masculine ones so can’t even tell if it’s the girl or guy talking. Need more oppa and noonas useage

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

I've finished catching up to the current translations for Fist Demon of Mt. Hua and I've been enjoying the story overall. The premise is a boy is saved by a group of the illustrious Mount Hua martial artists. However one of his legs is lame and it prevents him from learning the traditional styles of his sect. With an unbreakable determination and the support of his master, a scholar with a wide depth of knowledge in martial arts, they begin to devise a style that will suit his limitations.

The first step is to turn him into a human battering ram rail canon. If he can't have fancy footwork he must charge his opponents with speed and concentrate all his might and force into a single point. From there tragedy and opportunity continue to mold him into an absolute monster of a fighter. A figurative Saitama if you will.

In recent years I've gotten a lot more familiar with certain recurring elements to these Jianghu-based stories so I'm less and less confused about the various factions and sects. Makes it a bit easier to keep up with things as this story does deal with things like the formation of the Murim Alliance and the war with the demonic cult.

Fun fact Fist Demon is connected to two other wuxia webnovels turned webtoons.

Martial Artist Lee Gwak (webtoon cancelled after 100th chapter) takes place after the events of Fist Demon (like a century or so?), and the MC is even mentioned.

Then Reaper of the Drifting Moon (currently on hiatus after the season ended) takes places sometime after Martial Artist Lee Gwak.

Also, Chronicles of the Northern Blade, which is my favorite wuxia-based webnovel-based webtoon, is also by the same author. It's not in the same universe, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked lee gwak but it ended right as poo poo was finally kicking off. that hurt.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Lee Gwak was one of my favorites and had an excellent stylist drawing method. The Cliff hanger ending in the middle of a huge arc where the main love interest is in peril was painful.

Reaper of the Drifting Moon had a strong opening but became incredibly generic after the time skip.

I haven't read fist demon or Chronicles of the Northern Blade. Worth a shot?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Fun fact Fist Demon is connected to two other wuxia webnovels turned webtoons.

Martial Artist Lee Gwak (webtoon cancelled after 100th chapter) takes place after the events of Fist Demon (like a century or so?), and the MC is even mentioned.

Then Reaper of the Drifting Moon (currently on hiatus after the season ended) takes places sometime after Martial Artist Lee Gwak.

Also, Chronicles of the Northern Blade, which is my favorite wuxia-based webnovel-based webtoon, is also by the same author. It's not in the same universe, though.

That would be the 2nd wuxia series I'm aware of where the author has multiple stories focusing on different characters across their setting. The other being the writer for Peerless Dad who also wrote Sunyuu the Shadowless, Administrator Kang Jin Lee, Red Storm, and a few others that I don't think have received adaptations. But for his works, because they all take place around the same time there's more overlap in major events, and characters from one story will show up in another for a few of the comic chapters. Red Storm being the exception because it takes place in it's own alternate universe and the only character from the main universe is a side character.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The junk collector posted:

Lee Gwak was one of my favorites and had an excellent stylist drawing method. The Cliff hanger ending in the middle of a huge arc where the main love interest is in peril was painful.

Reaper of the Drifting Moon had a strong opening but became incredibly generic after the time skip.

I haven't read fist demon or Chronicles of the Northern Blade. Worth a shot?

Chronicles of the Northern Blade is legit my current favorite wuxia-based webtoon out there, edging out stuff like Mad Demon, Return to Blossoming Mountain, and Peerless Dad.

It's just a combination of many factors done well. The art's fantastic and the battles rock, and the cast is really enjoyable too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That said both the unofficial scans of Northern Blade are poo poo.

I read the Korean original and checked out both Asura and whatever the other one was and both were so shiftily translated that people on Reddit couldn't loving understand basic plot details.

I think the official one is better about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Northern Blade is great stuff, even if you don't like wuxia type stuff it is probably at least worth a look. Great and unique art style and has a lot of fun with the characters. It has a much more epic saga type feel to it than a lot of other stuff without trying to force it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That said both the unofficial scans of Northern Blade are poo poo.

I read the Korean original and checked out both Asura and whatever the other one was and both were so shiftily translated that people on Reddit couldn't loving understand basic plot details.

I think the official one is better about it.

To be fair nerds on the internet not being able to follow a plot is a time honored tradition.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yeah, so they don't need any help with it!!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Started reading Legend of the Northern Blade and you all weren't joking; this is great. I currently just got to the point where Warrior So has finally returned to the plot. I was waiting for him to show back up since he is Jin's first subordinate and I'm stoked to see him dual wielding weapons. The conflict between the heavenly alliance and the Silent Night is shaping up to be a pretty grey affair. I can't agree with the methods of people like Danyeop, turning civilians into mindless berserkers just for a glorified suicide by martial artist gambit is not justifiable. I do however see where the story is going with this idea of justice. Jin is strong enough to be able to back his own beliefs to a degree, but I imagine Danyeop despite being this great master of sound attacks understood that he himself was not able to effect the change he wanted and his only recourse was to rouse his sect so the world could change. I think this is going to stress the importance that Jin needs more than just himself, he'll need a legitimate faction of his own to solidify whatever changes he'll want in the world as well. Given the hints, I think Warrior So has more than made the best of his decade off-panel and begun the new northern heavenly sect from within the Heavenly alliance.

This series also ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to Wuxia and I'm loving it. The main character also isn't the default strongest character around even after all the training he underwent so there's a balance to the incoming conflict. And like mentioned, the cast is fantastic. A lot of likeable characters in this one. I hope we get to see more of the Tang clan going into the future because this is the most fun interpretation of the infamous poison/hidden weapon masters I've seen yet.

Best Uncle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I love the Tang clan duo just running around on the side doing detective work and poo poo for Jin and the others.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapters 91 and 92 of Northern Blade were so good.

Captain So coming in with the clutch save. :woop: I already suspect that at least one of his members are these twin-demon double agents. But it was great to see him and Jin finally meeting again and the fruits of So's many years behind the scenes. Feels great that he's finally becoming part of the greater picture in Jin's rise to power.

That Works posted:

I love the Tang clan duo just running around on the side doing detective work and poo poo for Jin and the others.
Uncle Tang getting a disciple warmed my heart. He's a good kid. I also enjoyed seeing the tang family head flex a bit, but also his apology. We'll definitely see more sects/families that didn't approve of how the nine clouds handle things and they too will bolster Jin's cause.

Edit: I feel bad for Miryeo. She never stood a chance when it came to Jin's affection. Also goddam Captain So challenging another dude to beat his world record for withstanding torture was cold as hell.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 13, 2023

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the part where Jin sees the big city and just how breathtakingly massive it is is one of my favorite panels(?) in the webtoon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it really is incredible how many series involve climbing a tower and getting levels as you go up

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So for anyone else reading Weak Hero, The gently caress just happened. I assume he isn't dead, but it feels like a joke to have the main villain get hit by a truck because he decided to demand a fight from the main character in the middle of the highway at night. What a bizarre choice, it feels like a strange cop out.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I keep jumping on and back on Best Teacher Baek.
i like the marital arts teacher angle, but i'm tired of the drat blood cults in these korean martial arts stories

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GateOfD posted:

i'm tired of the drat blood cults in these korean martial arts stories
Probably too long, but would make a good thread title

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get why they keep making all these comics about heavenly demons, at least. that's a cool-rear end title.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure they're just standard wuxia cliches.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's always one side (the good side which is sometimes actually the evil side), the other side (the bad side, which is almost always the evil side), and then the third side (the Blood/Demon/etc. Sect, which is sometimes the biggest evil or the misunderstood/oppressed side).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Roxors posted:

So for anyone else reading Weak Hero, The gently caress just happened. I assume he isn't dead, but it feels like a joke to have the main villain get hit by a truck because he decided to demand a fight from the main character in the middle of the highway at night. What a bizarre choice, it feels like a strange cop out.

It's going to keep going as an isekai