Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just about caught up with Northern Blade's official Translations. The entire finale to season 1 was very well handled.
I'm still a bit miffed that the son of the Fist Pillar turned out to be a complete psychopath but I can't deny the author is getting his mileage out of that character. It is a bit lame that he tries a "we're not so different" speech and it works though. Sure, both him and the main character have killed a lot of people but he literally uses a technique that required him to murder innocent women and bathe in their blood and he also leads a small cabal of child soldiers. Not really a morally ambiguous scenario here.

I am not disappointed by Dam's character though. He's truly a righteous figure and now that he's going full Asura's Wrath with his moveset I'm even more excited to see him and Jin team up again against the remaining 9 skies and this immortal rear end in a top hat running the world. That moment when Dam was fighting Eun and delivered a german suplex :discourse: Whenever I see an opponent get caught in that kind of hand grip, I know what will follow is going to be epic.

As for the rest of the season 2 content. A lot of the characters growing goatees and mustaches tickled me pink. Leader So continues to be among my favorite character out of a really good cast purely because of his sheer loyalty to Jin and how he keeps mopping up threats and showing up for the perfect moments. He and his crew continue to get results and I think enough time has passed to make my concerns of a traitor all but disappear. Jin realizing he was in fact being really dumb about some things and learning is good character development. Bringing Eun right to the Tang branch estate was incredibly dumb, especially when Leader So could have handled keeping her safe somewhere else until Uncle Tang could be taken too her. But I also still haven't made up my mind how I feel about Eun as a character. I don't need a romance to be honest her character has so little presence in the grand scale of things but she's already endgame material. Also her presence screwed my girl Miryeo out of marrying Jin and I'll never forgive that slight. I just hope now that Eun is mostly better the story can integrate her into more meaningfully into the plot.

Finally the spearman from the original Northern Heavenly Sect being a background support character in season 1 was well woven into the story. I figured the person that saved the quadruple amputee library dude was one of the 9 skies that regretted their actions. But the reveal that it was the spearman, and his subordinates were the ones protecting Uncle Hwang during his journeys through the north were both nice reveals. I like that there were far more loyal soldiers to Jin's father and that the father himself did more to protect his son than take his own life.

Lastly, the duel between the Axeman of the Silent Night and the 9 Sky immediately jived with me when both men got disarmed, and decided to just straight up punch the poo poo out of each other. That's the kind of manliness I can get behind so shame on Jin for interrupting their battle. Overall, I can see where the Silent Night are coming from, but I can't agree with their methods despite their own tragedy.

The fight choreography really does deliver and the artist uses some downright cinematic paneling at times to really convey the skill of opponents and the flow of battle. Thanks again for the recommendation, it's just a shame the series is on hiatus now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Just about caught up with Northern Blade's official Translations. The entire finale to season 1 was very well handled.
I'm still a bit miffed that the son of the Fist Pillar turned out to be a complete psychopath but I can't deny the author is getting his mileage out of that character. It is a bit lame that he tries a "we're not so different" speech and it works though. Sure, both him and the main character have killed a lot of people but he literally uses a technique that required him to murder innocent women and bathe in their blood and he also leads a small cabal of child soldiers. Not really a morally ambiguous scenario here.

I am not disappointed by Dam's character though. He's truly a righteous figure and now that he's going full Asura's Wrath with his moveset I'm even more excited to see him and Jin team up again against the remaining 9 skies and this immortal rear end in a top hat running the world. That moment when Dam was fighting Eun and delivered a german suplex :discourse: Whenever I see an opponent get caught in that kind of hand grip, I know what will follow is going to be epic.

As for the rest of the season 2 content. A lot of the characters growing goatees and mustaches tickled me pink. Leader So continues to be among my favorite character out of a really good cast purely because of his sheer loyalty to Jin and how he keeps mopping up threats and showing up for the perfect moments. He and his crew continue to get results and I think enough time has passed to make my concerns of a traitor all but disappear. Jin realizing he was in fact being really dumb about some things and learning is good character development. Bringing Eun right to the Tang branch estate was incredibly dumb, especially when Leader So could have handled keeping her safe somewhere else until Uncle Tang could be taken too her. But I also still haven't made up my mind how I feel about Eun as a character. I don't need a romance to be honest her character has so little presence in the grand scale of things but she's already endgame material. Also her presence screwed my girl Miryeo out of marrying Jin and I'll never forgive that slight. I just hope now that Eun is mostly better the story can integrate her into more meaningfully into the plot.

Finally the spearman from the original Northern Heavenly Sect being a background support character in season 1 was well woven into the story. I figured the person that saved the quadruple amputee library dude was one of the 9 skies that regretted their actions. But the reveal that it was the spearman, and his subordinates were the ones protecting Uncle Hwang during his journeys through the north were both nice reveals. I like that there were far more loyal soldiers to Jin's father and that the father himself did more to protect his son than take his own life.

Lastly, the duel between the Axeman of the Silent Night and the 9 Sky immediately jived with me when both men got disarmed, and decided to just straight up punch the poo poo out of each other. That's the kind of manliness I can get behind so shame on Jin for interrupting their battle. Overall, I can see where the Silent Night are coming from, but I can't agree with their methods despite their own tragedy.

The fight choreography really does deliver and the artist uses some downright cinematic paneling at times to really convey the skill of opponents and the flow of battle. Thanks again for the recommendation, it's just a shame the series is on hiatus now.

You're in luck, the (Korean) webtoon comes back next Wednesday.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You're in luck, the (Korean) webtoon comes back next Wednesday.

Hell yeah.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I've actually been chewing through a bunch of wuxia series I've enjoyed quite a bit recently. Northern Blade (very good as previously mentioned, love the look of it), Return of the Martial God (the most dangerous martial artist ever gets sealed for 1000 years and when he's freed, stumbles into adopting an orphan and dedicates himself to being the best dad he can for her.), and Peerless Dad are all good fun. I tried out Return of the Mount Hua Sect, but found the MC way too obnoxious.

I hope that one day Sword Sheath's Child comes back from hiatus cause that series has phenomenal art and while slow about it, was cooking some cool stuff with the story too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
any notable series with a female lead?
Or even a good supporting character? Only one I can think of is the Lazy Count becomes a Swordmaster or something like that with the fiery redhead.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I forgot the name but there's that one where a noble lady has to marry a duke who's a werewolf. Instead of getting eaten like people expected she tames him. I lost track of it and plan to get back to it but I remember it being fun.

Mookhyang - Dark Lady? Kinda. Martial arts master gets isekai'd and turned into a girl.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

GateOfD posted:

Or even a good supporting character? Only one I can think of is the Lazy Count becomes a Swordmaster or something like that with the fiery redhead.

I Stole the Number One Ranker's Soul is a pretty fun 'dungeon invasion' story with a female MC. Office lady gets sucked into a dungeon break, gets super gathering skills when she awakens, watches the highest ranked adventurer in Korea die fighting the dungeon boss, but is able to use her skill to harvest his soul stone which lets him manifest as ghost who then starts guiding her to become a combat monster and try and clear all the dungeons.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Guyver posted:

I forgot the name but there's that one where a noble lady has to marry a duke who's a werewolf. Instead of getting eaten like people expected she tames him. I lost track of it and plan to get back to it but I remember it being fun.
I'm thinking The Lady and the Beast is what you are looking for. There is an official TL via tappytoon

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GateOfD posted:

See you in my 19th life.
Sirens Lament
Bring the Love
Terror Man (2nd season especially)
Neolithic Girl / Cavewoman
Island pt 2

The last 3 there has their female leads all working together in “the queens” as well.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

That would be the 2nd wuxia series I'm aware of where the author has multiple stories focusing on different characters across their setting. The other being the writer for Peerless Dad who also wrote Sunyuu the Shadowless, Administrator Kang Jin Lee, Red Storm, and a few others that I don't think have received adaptations. But for his works, because they all take place around the same time there's more overlap in major events, and characters from one story will show up in another for a few of the comic chapters. Red Storm being the exception because it takes place in it's own alternate universe and the only character from the main universe is a side character.

I started Red Storm from this and I'm loving it, gonna check out the authors other series next. Very nice mix of giant battles that end up feeling like Dynasty Warriors sequences in a desert interspersed by political intrigue and xianxia-style cultivation.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Guyver posted:

Mookhyang - Dark Lady? Kinda. Martial arts master gets isekai'd and turned into a girl.

Literally everyone who gets along with Dark calls him by male pronouns. I wouldn't describe that as a female protagonist.

Master Villainess the Invincible is the only wuxia comic with a female lead that comes immediately to mind.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lmao apparently get schooled got forced hiatused from webtoon/naver for racist content

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Shugojin posted:

lmao apparently get schooled got forced hiatused from webtoon/naver for racist content

Specifically one of the characters straight up dropped the n word after some black characters were introduced to be anti-asian racist first to "justify" it :psyduck:

As someone who has never read get schooled seeing the pages without context when POC webtoon creators were like "hey what the gently caress is this" was insane, there's no way context could make it look better lmao

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Korean people are very racist, especially to black people and Chinese people.

Online, that is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

It's not a wuxia but Hero Killer is great.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
giving Master Villainess the Invincible a try atm.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

GateOfD posted:

I rather like Fray on Webtoons, though it sadly got an early ending due to health and other reasons.

But what's there is pretty good and it does end in a hopeful way.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GateOfD posted:

I was reading, uh, "I’m a Martial Art Villainess, but I’m the Strongest!" for a bit. Little too much "look how cool the main character is, isn't she cool" and "everyone who's against me is stupid/evil/incompetent and everyone who's smart/good/competent falls in love with me on sight", but I had fun with it.

[e: I just realised this is the same series as Master Villainess The Invincible! :v]

RareAcumen posted:

It's not a wuxia but Hero Killer is great.

This is better, though.

e: I dunno if the call is for wuxia manwha specifically, but if it's not the best female-led comics I ever read on Webtoon were Cheese in the Trap and Kubera.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mix. posted:

Specifically one of the characters straight up dropped the n word after some black characters were introduced to be anti-asian racist first to "justify" it :psyduck:

As someone who has never read get schooled seeing the pages without context when POC webtoon creators were like "hey what the gently caress is this" was insane, there's no way context could make it look better lmao

The context just makes it worse, since it was suppose to be a "Let's take a serious look at racism" and then went right into "Actually minorities are the REAL racists so it's perfectly fine to be racist to them."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I like the settin gof Master Villainess, but the fighitng is kind of boring and not very good looking. And there's a lot of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i realized recently that the mc in undercover professor is just cid kagenoh with absolutely no self awareness.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
rofl, Master Villainess The Invincible
okay, i cracked up at this
person MC teaming up with temporary makes a chi laser sword, and a random mook on the other side tries to fight it, and the laser sword just cuts threw his regular sword and his head off. what did he think was gonna happen? lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
A Returner's Magic Should Be Special anime is out this season.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Latest chapter of Legend of the Northern Blade did not end how I thought it would.
I don't like Hye-Ryeong but at the same time, she absolutely didn't deserve to die like this. Much less not even being the target for the Black Wing's last attack, she was just in the way. Dam doesn't deserve this kind of suffering either.

That being said, putting the fear of death into your opponent with your own weapon sticking out your chest and trying to get one last attack in was one hell of a way to exit the story. It's a shame the spearman had to die because he seemed the most fun of the Silent Night's generals.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started giving Legend of the Northern Blade another chance.
only up to ch20

it is interesting. The characters are larger than life. But the thing I like is that so far, the things that's playing out, and the way scene transitions go, its a lot more movie-like than other korean manwahs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This feels weird to say but does anyone have good bullying recommendations? I just found a new one and Unstoppable Hayeong and now I'm wondering what other ones are around because these things are spread across every genre.

So far I've found:
  • Viral Hit
  • UnOrdinary
  • Lookism
  • Study Group and
  • Weak Hero

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Latest chapter of Legend of the Northern Blade did not end how I thought it would.
I don't like Hye-Ryeong but at the same time, she absolutely didn't deserve to die like this. Much less not even being the target for the Black Wing's last attack, she was just in the way. Dam doesn't deserve this kind of suffering either.

That being said, putting the fear of death into your opponent with your own weapon sticking out your chest and trying to get one last attack in was one hell of a way to exit the story. It's a shame the spearman had to die because he seemed the most fun of the Silent Night's generals.

That was really sad. Wondering if this will turn Dam into some revenge obsessed guy that goes off the rails now to eventually pit him against the Northern sect .

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

That was really sad. Wondering if this will turn Dam into some revenge obsessed guy that goes off the rails now to eventually pit him against the Northern sect .

If/when Dam finds out that Jin is the one who leaked the timeframe for the frontal attack as well as the ambush he's going to be pissed for sure. Not saying that things would have been better or worse, but it will be easy to blame Jin for old girl's death because the Silent Night knew they were coming and weren't caught completely off guard.

By that same token, I'm interested how Dam is going to feel about the Moyong clan. I think he's aware that the 9 skies are being controlled by the Immortal Moyong. And his fiance died because the black spear wanted to kill the eldest Moyong daughter in his final moment. Dam could go either way, initially raging against the moyong's but switching targets to the Northern Sect. Or vice versa. I just want him and Jin to team up but this is going to hinge on how much grief and anger will control Dam's thoughts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Seems like a bunch of the translating sites are getting cracked down on since they've suddenly started linking to discords instead

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well I really hope whoever was translating Breaker 3 puts it somewhere else.

Oh, I didn't realize it was on webtoon too, though it's months behind.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

Seems like a bunch of the translating sites are getting cracked down on since they've suddenly started linking to discords instead

I feel like they go through crackdowns every few months before they all shuffle their sites again

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

RareAcumen posted:

This feels weird to say but does anyone have good bullying recommendations? I just found a new one and Unstoppable Hayeong and now I'm wondering what other ones are around because these things are spread across every genre.

So far I've found:
  • Viral Hit
  • UnOrdinary
  • Lookism
  • Study Group and
  • Weak Hero

since you have Viral Hit and Lookism on there, try Manager Kim. Has a similar delinquent bully action vibe, and has some cameos or references from the former two in it.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 23, 2023

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bullying plays a big part in dokgo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

since you have Viral Hit and Lookism on there, try Manager Kim. Has a similar delinquent bully action vibe, and has some cameos or references from the former two in it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

bullying plays a big part in dokgo

Thanks, they're all over the genres so I have no idea how anyone finds things on there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Forgot to post this but the Black Spear's response to nearly being decapitated is by far one of the coolest things in that fight

Bruce Lee and Pai Mei would be proud.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the group translating the breaker are now done for good though some of the other sites have come back

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That sucks rear end :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the breaker is still being done by the same group I guess purely through discord due to DMCA shenanigans with their website

https://manga4life.com/manga/The-Breaker-3-Eternal-Force

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Limit breaker is a very generic gates open on earth and five powers series but it has some extremely cool and detailed monster designs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
started Relife Player
a dime a dozen on these korean webtoon types, but i like the crafty returner kid arcs where everyone underestimates him