Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Roxors posted:

I think Eleceed might be my Favorite Manhwa right now. Its nice to have a fun action fantasy series that isn't isekai/cultivation/VRMMO. Just a fun series with a lot of goofy cat faces. Taekwondo kid is interesting, but I find the main character kind of boring so far, and the weird health bar addition to Taekwondo tournaments is kind of unbelievable to me.

Its a kind of basic isekai, but I have been enjoying Latna Saga: Survival of a Sword King, I think the humor and characters are pretty fun. It is an interesting take on isekai, with a decent cast of characters.

eleceed is pretty great but the school arc pulls in some of my least favorite xianxia tropes [spoilers for school arc]

the sects build a school for training kids/newbies, separated into elites/commoner courses, and the headmaster of the school explicitly doesn't want any of the commoners to receive any real training, to the point of telling the teachers to stop training them. then they organize a "fight" to have an excuse to beat the poo poo out of the commoner students. if the organization is so hostile to the commoners at the highest levels why even have a course for them in the first place? if they want to teach commoners why allow the headmaster to be a guy who actively tries to stop them from being educated at all? especially since the school is brand new, it's not like its a new and controversial edition to an old school. or why would they not just have two separate schools?

then later in the arc one of the sect heads barges in and goes "i'm killing this kid. problem?" and everyone just lets him. again, why even make a commoner course if they don't even care if they're publicly murdered for no reason? if this is such a might-makes-right kill-or-be-killed society that doesn't give a poo poo about commoners and weaklings, why would they even build a school that allows them to attend and then fail to protect or teach them?

by comparison, a returner's magic should be special has a similar school with a commoner/elite divide, but there it ties into the narrative of a society that recently experienced a massive failed commoner uprising, so the aristocracy both hates and fears the commoners. the division and discrimination is a reflection of a fractured, changing society. in eleceed they built a brand new school to pick on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have yet to read a single cultivator series but if that's an example of the problems with cultivators, then I'll take a bad one of those over a bad gate (nationalism and revenge fantasies)

about that,

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ive seen stuff about webtoons having a super predatory monetization model so it might just be an old fashioned case of extreme exploitation