Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so it's I am legend but a weird comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

Even in the world of God of High School I can't escape playing loving PUBG.

yea that was weird but it did end up being a pretty good joke

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's solid but kinda disappointing purely off the back of not being the breaker. I like it well enough tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tamen de gushi is very cute yea

I remember trying to read city of darkness and it wasn't good from what I recall

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was pretty bummed when the gosu fan translation stopped. the official one had to play catch up and isn't as good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm actually not sure since I stopped following it after a while

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess the author of god of high school wasn't satisfied with just pubg because d.va's the announcer for this executive exhibition match thing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

lol I'd recommend just waiting for it to finish to binge it. Its so brutally slow week to week that I can't read it like that

I don't know if anyone else reads the series by the breaker guys but its possibly nearing its end. Its kind of hard to tell. Its also stuffed full of fan service compared to the breaker

https://mangadex.org/title/18571/trinity-wonder

I thought it was like a breaker situation where this was gonna be the end of part 1

I like trinity wonder but I hope they get back to the breaker soon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hope he'll be ok

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Looked at a few random chapters of that Returner's Magic Should be Special webtoon, and was disappointed to find that they all involved the protagonist effortlessly owning people.

I do not understand the appeal of the "protagonist is an OP badass who just impresses people constantly" genre.

it's always about that self insert

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

Gosu is awesome yes, only reason why I'm not reading it is because since webtoons picked it up for official translation it was noticeably worse than the fan translation but because it's because officially translated nobody else is touching it. If that has changed and the translation has improved let me know, I would love to get back into it. (Also the official translation was years behind last I saw).

last I heard, gosu has been on break for a while because the author is sick

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's a good one. also recently tried out matchmaker hero and it seems solid so far

your letter's a nice short story that's already finished

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shugojin posted:

lmao at peerless dad getting out his John wick box

and it just has some tonfa in it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am and it has very nice art. pretty cool so far

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jb is bad for new readers because they only have the latest 20 chapters translated

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

latest chapter on jb is 55

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hope it's better than the tower of god anime

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tower of god anime really suffers from dropping a bunch of details/scenes from the original webtoon to fit into its episode format. it didn't exactly have the best animation either. I can't really blame the studio tho, because this series doesn't seem easy to adapt. the author loves big text dumps

if you're familiar with the source material, it's barely above acceptable imo. if you're not, you're prob gonna feel lost on a lot of things and that's only gonna get worse if future seasons stay like this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just watched god of high school and yea the animation is miles ahead of tower of god. there's a lot of style in this show

it's definitely trying to cram too much into one episode tho. a fast pace is good but this doesn't even stop to breathe

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

English scans are on like, what, 105 or so right now?

english is on 111 and has been updating every day for a little while now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I did not, but I've heard the names thrown around.

ToG anime isn't half bad but the pacing is breakneck speeds. english dub has JYB :swoon:

goh is at least as bad as tog about pacing, if not worse. the story already wasn't amazing and it's worse in the anime. this isn't exactly a show I'd recommend for the narrative

but if you like watching people punch each other, goh has stellar fight choreography and a ton of style

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk about the quality of the translation of the scans vs official translation but I do know omniscient reader's scans are way way ahead of the official stuff

you're right about supporting the author but most people are gonna go with whatever's farther ahead, especially if there's a big difference

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's not that ahead, the webtoon itself has like only 23 chapters right now. A 20 chapter gap is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

if that were true, you wouldn't be spending money on fast pass

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

I use fast pass for a few webtoons series which I'm fine with as they're ahead of/not covered by scans but yeah solo levelling is way behind in the official releases iirc

idk how far behind they are compared to korean but official english translation is at 119 with 120 releasing tomorrow (I'm guessing you could have read it for cash last week?). scans seem to be at 120 currently

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 28, 2020

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Japanese Solo Leveling is popular, but they renamed Jin Woo to something else, and it takes place in Tokyo instead of Seoul. Also the Japanese are Chinese instead :)

sounds like late 90s/early 00s western localizations

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

still seems like a weird choice but then again I don't really expect the best decisions out of crunchyroll originals anymore

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't really think of anything that had him seem desperate or like he might lose in a while

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well america's gonna have to wait in line because japan is currently continuing its run of being the series punching bag

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

magi does have a pretty similar premise at the start with the dungeons tbf

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the question is literally "dungeons open up, people go in them". like I get what you're thinking but you can't tell me it's impossible to see why someone would get magi out of that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it feels like the author just ran out of steam and called it quits

tho tbh I haven't really enjoyed it much for a while now so I'm not that broke up about it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't the breaker supposed to start back up this month? just remembered about that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

on the thread recommendation i ended up reading eleceed and teenage mercenary. Anyone got other recommendations like those? my current webtoon subscribed list is ToG, GoHS, the gamer, the boxer, weak hero, unordinary, kubera, hardcore levelling warrior and viral hit. I read most of Dice but I got a bit burned out and cba finishing it

doesn't really fit the thread I guess but if you're open to anything on webtoon, shiloh's good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

god of high school is one of those series that never feels like the author planned out further in advance than the chapter they were currently writing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I refuse to believe the author came up with anything in advance

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think they should have aged up shiwoon more if he was gonna take on the mentor role. this feels goofy. also don't especially like the new kid much yet

but mostly I just want them to get on with continuing the story rather than basically recapping the first series by doing it over again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's not like the writing has become way worse or anything. the setup is just disappointing. and like I said before, if they wanted shiwoon to take his teacher's role then he should be older than like 16

I figure the plan was to retread part 1 until goomoonryong's heel turn but this time, new kid reaches shiwoon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's still the problem isn't it

I don't think people have been disappointed that new kid isn't beating people up. they're disappointed that he's the main character at all

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the kids kinda confuse me because I feel like a decent amount of time has passed where they look the same but other people noticeably aged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yeah that stuff is not great