Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Your problem is that you are using lovely MangaPanda/MangaCow scans which are horrible at translation, either because they translate way off base at times and too literally at others.

The original script reads:
사부님... 혀... 혈을...?

It's most likely referring to the practice of 점혈(點穴). 점혈법 is the practice of stabbing / hitting people in certain points of their body to knock them out, paralyze them or even kill them. You know, pressure points, acupuncture points, whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_point

It sees a lot of usage in martial arts stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress, started blazing through Can't See Can't Hear But Love in the span of a few hours after seeing an image on the "Convince Someone" thread but now I've reached Chapter 72 on Daum and everything past that requires me to pay. Which I would gladly do, considering how cheap it is, but I can't due to Daum being a bitch and not letting me pay until I verify my identity, which pretty much requires me to be in Korea and have a Korean cellphone. I really should've made and verified a Daum account back while I was in Korea.

It's such an amazing read, really regret not having come upon it earlier. I still can't believe a web comic managed to make me audibly weep.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No idea, honestly. The translation group appears to have released up to chapter 70, and that was over a month ago. The series ends on Chapter 80 (which itself is a 2 parter). But it wouldn't be impossible to obtain raws, just sorta difficult due to how Korean sites deal with registration / verification / charging money. Especially without a Korean cellphone. Seriously, cellphones are incredibly vital in Korean culture. Even elementary school students are expected to carry 'em around.

On a side note, according to the cover of the recently released Volume 4 of Can't See, it's being turned into a movie. Too bad each volume is like 10,000 won apiece, I'd love to buy 'em when I go back to Korea this fall.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have yet to this day see a Korean animation that wasn't aimed at kids (see: Dooly the Dinosaur, which is pretty much the only Korean animation I can remember watching).

The closest thing that comes to mind is Blade of the Phantom Master / Shin Amengusa / Shin Angyo Onshi which was drawn by Koreans, took place in a setting based on medieval Korea and has characters based on Korean folklore but released as a collaborative effort between Japan and Korea. Even the animated movie was made by the people from both countries working together, as opposed to being a wholly Korean thing.

Another similar example would be Black God, which was drawn by prominent Korean manhwa artist Park Song-Woo and written by Im Dahl-Young yet released in Japan first, and animated in Japan. Or Freezing, which is also written by Im Dahl-Young, which was already released in Japan instead of Korea.

Some Korean manhwa have been made into Korean dramas - Goong may be the most prominent example of such, I think? I don't watch Korean drama so I don't know much about it.

There's at least one Korean webtoon that's been animated, I believe. Welcome to the Convenience Store has an animated adaptation. Again, I don't really know too much about it.

The problem is that Korean animation (original or otherwise) geared towards young adults / adults isn't really a thing as of yet. Korea has at least two channels dedicated to cartoons, but (at least in during 2010 ~ 2012) it was pretty much dubbed Disney and standard children cartoons / claymation in the morning, dubbed card game / collectible anime (Yu-Gi-Oh!, BeyBlade, etc) in the noon, a bunch of stuff they kept on showing over and over (Ristorante Paradiso, Baka Test, Spice and Wolf S2, Angel Beats) alongside currently running anime and Starcraft II tournaments till evening and 19+ stuff like Nisemonogatari, Mitsudomoe and Fate/zero at night.

Animating a Korean manhwa is even worse / harder, I believe, since Korean manhwa isn't as popular as Japanese manga (though Naver and Daum are changing that), even in Korea. ChunRangYhulJun and YhulHyulGangHo (one of the longest running and most popular manhwa, written by the guy who writes The Breaker) got PC games (RPG for Chun, MMO for Yuhl), but no animated adaptations.

I really would love to see ChunRangYhulJun, NOW and YhulHyulGangHo get animated, though. Especially Yhul.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just a note, Breaker will be on a hiatus for over a month, and will return on September 13th.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dunno about the scans, but the actual webtoon finished serialization two years ago. And the group translating the series hasn't done anything since March 2013.

Also, as I noted before in the thread, Chapter 73 and after are Pay-To-Read, meaning that the raws are difficult to obtain if you're not Korean.

http://cartoon.media.daum.net/webtoon/view/nosee

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mo_Steel posted:

I hope things stay like this forever. :unsmigghh:

Oh hey, guess who else had a habit of pushing back his hair like that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Autonomous Monster posted:

We've already had the super-wimpy Shioon arc for eleventy million years, it would be incredibly loving stupid to lapse back into that.

So I give it 3:2 odds on :v:

Isn't Sosul's body supposed to be the complete opposite of what Shioon's is supposed to be right now? All nine chi centres blocked or whatever it is.

I swear to God, I find Korean martial arts gibberish to be infinitely harder to parse than Japanese martial arts gibberish and I have no idea why.

Hell, I'm Korean and pretty much read only the raws and even I don't get a bunch of what's been talked about regarding the chi centers and whatnot. The Breaker does seem a lot more complicated than the other Korean martial arts manhwas I've read (ChunRangYhulJun, NOW, YhulHyulGangHo, MaJe) and the one Korean wuxia novel I've read (BiRweDo).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The "Overhaul Rebirth / HwanGolTalTe" is 환골탈태 (換骨奪胎). It's a saying that basically means "to become a whole new person." It's generally (if not always) used in a positive sense. The Naver dictionary defines 환골탈태 as to "turn over a new leaf."

換 = To Change
骨 = Bone
奪 = To Take Away
胎 = To Birth (Can also refer to the placenta; 태를 가르다 means to cut the umbilical cord)

In essence, by changing your bones and take out the placenta (or birth, I honestly have no idea what the 태 is supposed to mean) your face and body change for the better to the point where you become someone virtually unrecognizable.

It originates from some monk's writings. It originally applied to poems and poo poo.

“황산곡(黃山谷:본명 庭堅)이 말하기를 시의 뜻은 무궁한데 사람의 재주는 한이 있다. 한이 있는 재주로 무궁한 뜻을 쫓는다는 것은 불가능한 일이다. 그러나 그 뜻을 바꾸지 않고 그 말을 만드는 것을 가리켜 환골법(換骨法)이라 하고 그 뜻을 본받아 형용(形容)하는 것을 가리켜 탈태법(奪胎法)이라 한다.”

“As some dude said, the meaning of poems in infinite but a person's limits are finite. Chasing infinite meanings with finite talent is impossible. But making the words while not changing the meaning is called 환골법(換骨法) and taking that meaning and expressing it is called 탈태법(奪胎法).”

In terms of wuxia, 환골탈태 (換骨奪胎) is a bit more literal. It's like an actual metamorphosis. Every part of you becomes renewed and poo poo. You need tons of ki to be able to achieve it, and generally some sort of awakening / enlightenment as well (though the latter can be ignored if you happen on a miracle or a pill). Different wuxia authors have different standards / specifics (for instance, it can be brought on about by hitting the limit of ki your body can attain and needing a new body to be able to gather more ki, or a result of a weak body suddenly gaining a fuckton of ki and needing a body that can handle it) but it just boils down to "you are reborn even stronger". Physical changes are also possible. Your skin gets all fresh, teeth grow back, lose your wrinkles, etc.

So the "Overhaul Rebirth" is a state that you reach. I actually like A-Team's choice of translation, since it does describe it very well - by overhauling everything, you're reborn. Though I suppose it might make more sense if you already know what HwanGolTalTe means.

Hope that answers your question.

Some other words that could be used in lieu of Overhaul Rebirth, as provided by some dude answer the question of what HwanGolTalTe is in one of the Naver Questions pages I went to.

Body changing : 몸 변이
Grand cross : 위대한 교차
Corpus mutatio : (라틴) 몸 교체 ---발음이 좀 그렇네요;
Transformation: 변화
Super metamorphosis: 엄청난 변태(變胎)
Manasm body trans : 마나적 몸체 변이
Body shift : 몸 변이

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a side note, the current chapter of Breaker: New Waves isn't the first time the writer has used the "loyal subjects watch in silent fury as their head fights for his life" type of situation.

I realize it's in Korean, but the point gets across without a translation, I'd think.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The guy being beaten up isn't the protagonist, he's the school brother of the protagonist.

The protagonist is ponytails.

Also for a second I saw Tanktop Tiger and wondered if you'd somehow mistaken this thread for the OnePunchMan thread.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yabari posted:

I was kind of thinking that too, but remember, Shioon thinks Chundomoon is behind his mother's hospitalization. I'm hoping that there be a fight between them, and then a realization on both sides that both Shioon and Hyuk So-Chun are being played. If that happens, it'll be :black101: time!

Wait, what? I was under the impression that he blamed the S.U.C. (Chapter 63) for that, and it turns out to have been the doctor guy (Chapter 71).

The reason he wants to fight Hyuk seems to be because he wants to see how he measures up against the guy who he's constantly held as being on a whole other level due to the events of the original The Breaker series. If I recall correctly, ShiWoon's been constantly visualizing Hyuk as his opponent during the image training that he did while waiting for his ki pills to take effect (Chapter 65).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watermark issues aside, MangaCow has poo poo translation. Speed doesn't mean jack poo poo when you get so much stuff wrong. Even blatantly obvious stuff. Which isn't to say that A-Team's translation is perfect; just that MangaCow's translation is much, much worse.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lyon posted:

The translation seems kind of lovely, but I assume that Goomoonryong was telling his soldiers that they were all going to die if they attacked the head of the Murim? I forget his name but he is Three-Arts Dragon and the claim was the only reason he didn't claim more of the titles was out of propriety/respect. Seems like Goomoonryong doesn't care about his comrades all that much.

Also man the conclusion to this is seemingly going to be a rush, we haven't seen any progress on the tease of Shi-Ho recovering in the bacta tank (Star Wars reference) and I can't quite figure out how the relationship between Shioon and Goomoonryong will turn out. Whether they end up reuniting or as enemies,...I hope reuniting and destroying everyone with the Sun-Woo but who knows.

Somewhat literal translation.

Glasses Mook: "Hey boss."
Glasses Mook: "That guy, I don't know who he is, but can I fight him?"

Chunwoo: "You're gonna die, you guys."

Glasses Mook: "Heh."

Glasses Mook: "If I can get thrill out of it, it's worth the risk!"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The readers in the comments section of Breaker: New Waves over at Daum (where it's hosted) have declared Elder Kwon the new main character of series.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey, 0.0Mhz.

It's strange how I knew which webtoon you were talking about from the description, though that might be cause it's one of the few webtoons I've read. Didn't realize there even was a second season. Guess I should get to reading it even though I remember jack poo poo about the first season.

EDIT: The ending is sorta disappointing and rushed, and the author is forced to explain a lot of the plot stuff in the afterword. Also probably not gonna be a third season.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 7, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Ah that sucks. Has the other done anything else of note?

Also what exactly is the deal with webtoons, they get funded for seasons? Is this a Korean thing?

According to the Daum Webtoon page for the author, no, that's his only work, but it's also his debut work. It should be noted that it went on from 2012 to the end of 2013. First season was from August 2012 to November 2012, and second season was from July 2013 to December 2013. The afterword for the first season says he also has something else he is / was working on, but while talking over the script for that work with his editor, he mentioned that he had a story that he could write right away, that story being 0.0MHz. The editor dude liked it, so the author got started on that. Since that's over, the author's next release might be the script he was going over with his editor?

I'm not really sure, though I guess it differs depending on the artist? Like, how notable they are and poo poo? I remember reading on one of The Breaker's break announcements where the author said that he didn't like taking a week off, not only because he let the readers down but also because it meant he didn't get paid, so I think it'd be safe to assume that in the case of The Breaker, they're paid when they get a chapter out?

I remember my sister telling me about Naver and Daum webtoons sometime last year, and she told me that while Naver pays better, Daum offers you a better chance for a movie deal and poo poo. The most famous Korean webtoon artist is probably Kang Full and I know that he's had at least 2 webtoons made into movies (and Wikipedia says 6 of them have been made). Dude's pretty amazing; I've only read three of his webtoons: Love Story, Lamp Shop and Every Moment of Your Life and I'm always blown away by how, even though they're different genres (Love Story is a romance, Lamp Shop is horror and Every Moment is zombie) he never fails to move me. Kang Full is seriously amazing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I vaguely recall someone having interest in this webtoon, and now it's being translated.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/00-mhz-r12050

It's the one about ghosts and electric signals and poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lyon posted:

She loves Shioon (along with every other female character) so she will very quickly be brought back to the good side if that scene is even acknowledged. I almost think the author didn't know where he was going with some of this earlier because some of the previous scenes kind of make no sense. Nine Arts Dragon's amnesia kind of came out of the blue too. There was also the scene where NAD's (heh) girlfriend was in a medical tank of some sort and the guy who was in love with her in the breaker (the one who helped fix/save Shioon from the mad scientist in New Waves) was trying to bring her back. Lots of dangling threads that aren't really tied together yet.

Edit: I'm not saying the amnesia doesn't make sense based on NAD getting all screwed up by the black heaven and earth technique or whatever it was called, just that a couple of chapters ago was the first time it came up as far as I can tell. There weren't any hints that I picked up on, just seemed like he had turned into a dick.

The theory that people over on Daum seem to have at the moment is that he's been drugged / brainwashed, which is why he can't remember ShiWoon. The mustache'd dude from SUC and that blonde chick with the pigtails working for 9AD seem to be in on whatever's happening to 9AD, given the look they give each other. And that would explain his amnesia and his mood switch. Though he was a dick since Season 1, you just didn't see a lot of it because most of his interactions were with ShiWoon.

The original theory was that 9AD was just pretending not to know who ShiWoon was, but that got disproved pretty quickly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blattdorf posted:

At the rate this is going, we'll probably be traipsing around the mountains for the next 20 chapters. 's cool, as long as we get to see Shioon wreck faces.

Probably longer. The reason for the shorter chapters is cause two veteran staff members quit at the same time during the break, taking away a fuckton of manpower. So yeah.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As a dude working in a Korean translation company the thought of lovely Korean webtoon translations makes me hella sad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Korean commentors on Daum have been threatening to riot if Kwon dies for a few weeks now.

I love reading them so much.

On a side note, if you want to read another webtoon with a badass old man, you could also read Hive.

It's one of those "poo poo happens and monsters spread all over the place" but with giant insects (mainly bees) instead of zombies / titans / giant fish that eventually develop legs to become fishmen while tides rise and in the end the fishmen triumph over humanity / more zombies.

They turn out to be far more intelligent than you'd think, and capable of pulling crazy poo poo like the picture below.

That's a bug right before it suicide bombs (rockets?) a tank.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it may be time for a new thread. This one began in 2012.

Going off only what I know are translated, my suggestions are Breaker (which now belongs in the Webtoon section I guess?), Hive, and Ruler of the Land (written by the guy who does Breaker).

... Wow, my knowledge of manhwa is really lacking. I read more niche manga than I do niche manhwa.

I'm a poo poo Korean. Traitor to my country.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The guy who does the art for Breaker also drew the manhwa that served as a prequel of the game Archlord, which has been officially translated into English.

But yeah, Jeon Geuk-jin has been in the industry for a long-rear end time.

As has Park Seong-u, who's actually drawing the manga adaptation for Space Dandy, for some bizarre reason. Cheonrangyeoljeon was pretty much the reason I got into manhwa in the first place.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I like it just because Korean webcomics read well off a phone so it's convenient to read on the go. Finally got around to God of High School, and it's pretty rad. Guess I'll switch to another romance or drama now that I'm caught up though.

Yeah, that's pretty much the main reason most webcomics are the way they are nowdays. On the downside, this can make putting them on paperback form fairly annoying, cause of the difference in format.

Misaeng (the one about white collar workers that got a really popular drama) is a bit unique in that it was created with the purpose of getting a physical book out in the future.

Interview posted:

As the publishing company set plans to publish the webtoon as a book from the beginning, the process of adapting the webtoon <Incomplete Life> into paper book format was incredibly easy. According to Kim Eun-ju,“most webtoons are made in a long, scrolling vertical format so that they can be easily read through monitors and mobile devices. However, this causes problems when changing into book versions, as separating them into pages could end up cutting the flow. Accordingly, some authors edit themselves their webtoons to make them compatible with books. <Incomplete Life> is special since author Yun Tae-ho created it to make sure it would work with book editing from the beginning, and then changed it to webtoon formats. By undergoing a reverse process, <Incomplete Life> is much easier and comfortable to read as a book in comparison to other webtoons.”

Source: http://www.publishingjournal.co.kr/download/k-book%20Review%20vol.14.pdf

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Seriously though, Ruler of the Land is pretty rad. I'd link more iconic moments, but there's almost 400 chapters so finding certain cool fights with decent spreads is hard.

I'm partial to this one, but I'm afraid that the scans aren't really that great early on.

There's also apparently a bunch of information released in fan cafes about character strengths, mainly about the tiers of the Cheon Ma Sin Gun's disciples.

The first disciple Baek Gang, who has yet to appear in the English scans, is on the same level as Cheon Ma Sin Gun himself.

Dok Go-gyeol and Hwang Bo-ung, the leaders of the 1st and 2nd Black Winds, are also on a similar level to Cheon Ma Sin Gun. This is to be expected, since they were known to be powerful even when Cheon Ma Sin Gun was just starting his conquest.

Do Weol-cheon and Jin Pung-baek, the 2nd and 3rd disciples, are around the same level. Do Weol-cheon is a bit stronger, but not massively so. It's said that Do Weol-cheon is comparable to a top tier member of Sinji, and that the only people in Murim who could beat Jin Pung-baek (disregarding Sinji and the Outer Forces) are Cheon Ma Sin Gun, Dok Go-gyeol, Hwang Bo-ung, Baek Gang, and the 5 Masters (I dunno what the scans call them).

Ji-hyeon, the leader of the 4th Black Winds is also on a similar level to Do Weol-cheon and Jin Pung-paek. Unlike the other Black Winds leaders, he doesn't serve a disciple, and works directly under Cheon Ma Sin Gun. This is why the 4th, 5th, and 6th disciples are served by the 5th, 6th, and 7th Black Winds respectively. This is cause the original 4th Black Winds (which Hong Gyun, the leader of the 7th Black Winds) were wiped out during the battle against Song Mu Mun. Cheon Ma Sin Gun was outraged by this loss and filled the new 4th Black Winds with a bunch of powerful dudes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Given that Jeon Geuk-jin is the author of one of the longest-running manhwa in Korea (Ruler of the Land, which is at 66 volumes and 700+ chapters) I don't think there's too much to worry about.

He's not Im Dahl-same-story-that-never-concludes-yeong so I'm baffled as hell about all the worrying I've been seeing since two weeks back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In Korean webtoon news, Naver webtoon My Boyfriend has been canceled due to controversy about the author plagiarizing the art and coloring style of Tan Jiu and Old Xian.

Link to a post on a Korean forum where someone posts side-by-side comparisons of My Boyfriend and works (Tamen De Gushi and 19 Days) of the two Chinese artists.
Link to the author's blog, where the author claims to have been initially just taking inspiration / reference from said Chinese artists.
Link to the author's announcement / apology on Naver.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I was fairly fond of the series as well. It was cute and simple and relaxing.

For comparison, this is what the author's artstyle was like at the end of 2013.

The last chapter of ENT, the author's previous work.

This is what the author's artstyle was like in 2014.

The author's contribution to the Naver What If series. Naver does this every year, though the only one to have been translated into English is the first one, the Vault of Horrors, which was during 2011. Which is a shame, cause while I've only read the 2011 and 2013 series (both dealing with horror / ghost stories), there are plenty of really good one-shots. Though the 2013 series was hampered by the fact that so many authors chose to delve into the same subjects.

Either way, the artstyle seems a ton more shoujou-ish, though as the one-shot shows, the author is capable of doing really creepy poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

That's pretty bizarre; it just seems like he's using a lot of positions that people would naturally be in. It's not like the other author/artist patented "sitting on your bed" or "slamming your forehead into someone else's forehead."

I do think the art style is very similar to that of Tan Jiu. Haven't really seen too much of Old Xian, so I can't really compare with his style. And it's not just a matter of using common positions, but drawing them with similar... posture? I dunno how to phrase it. Like, "person sitting on bed" and "person studying / taking test" are common enough positions, but that doesn't mean two characters taking tests in different comics will look the same.

The art just felt really familiar while I was reading My Boyfriend, and when I looked it up like a week or so back there were already accusations about it resembling a Chinese artist's style, the first thought that came to mind was Tamen De Gushi (also because Tamen De Gushi is the only Chinese comic I've read).

I mean, it's nothing compared to, say, Nick Simmons plagiarizing pretty much everything under the sun for his stupid comic, but it's clear that the art style changed a lot from the author's previous work. The way hair is drawn / colored, the eyes, skin tones, and even the blushing. I mean, sure, art styles can change (Truthism is a clear example when you compare the first and most recently translated chapter, and there's also the guy who did Oh My Goddess), but I feel like the change is far too drastic and coincidental to say that it's not plagiarism. And it's not like good artists aren't fallible. Yuki Suetsugu, the artist behind the goon-approved Chihayafuru, also had a work cancelled cause of plagiarism and tracing.

I'm sad that it's gone, cause I liked it, but I do think that the decision to cancel the series was right depending on how serious the plagiarism charges are.

I also feel like the Best Comments section also shows that plagiarism needs to be taken more seriously in Korea. The most upvoted comments are along the lines of "sure, it looks similar, but is that really worth cancelling the webtoon over?" It's not like My Boyfriend was a fancomic, the author was being paid by Naver to create a webtoon that took a lot from someone else's work.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

is there a reason behind this wave of thinly disguised porn manwha popping up on batoto?

Lezhin Comics is a pay-to-read webtoon site that mainly deals in adult comics.

It's one of the bigger webtoon sites (excluding the massive Naver and Daum, of course), and I'm guessing that most of the smut presumably comes from there.

You see that sliding thing with the 19 on it? That lets you switch adult comics on and off.

I guess some peeps shelled out the money for smut?

The only Lezhin webtoon I've actually read is Unstoppable Siblings which got like 3 chapters translated before the translators gave up or something I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

all right, that's enough of Hive.

I thought maybe when he met back up with the wife & kid it might be better, but it seems like they're just separating again so it can keep on with the "I gotta find my wife!" motive for the MC instead of coming up with *anything else* for him to do. There's still some interesting plot stuff with wtf the military guys are up to but it keeps getting sidetracked for the wife rescue plot and I was really hoping they'd go ahead and reunite the family so the group could join back up because it's really lacking when they aren't together. This latest "your princess is in another castle" thing was just the last straw since I was already kinda fed up with it though.

I'm just sad we're losing Cho Yeong-seon almost immediately after getting him.

Also his poor sidekick died...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

So, I picked up and marathoned through Shin Angyo Onshi when I stumbled across it, and I have to say, if you haven't read Shin Angyo Onshi, you need to read Shin Angyo Onshi. And I mean all of it, including the author notes at the end of the volumes and the gag panels with the author, editor, and artists. It is seriously, legitimately, a fantastic, astounding manhwa.

On the subject of webcomics produced by webtoons, there is also The Strange Tales of Oscar Zahn. If you like Hellboy, you're going to like this one.

But Shin Angyo Onshi is the Japanese title!!!!!

Please call it by its proper Korean name, which is Blade of the Phantom Master.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dropped Girls of the Wild after that dude tried to literally poison MC's younger siblings and got away with it cause his club members stopped the MC from wailing on him.

I dunno maybe he got beaten later but it was still pretty stupid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a hard time sticking with Korean webtoons.

Only thing I keep up with at the moment is Hive and Black Maria.

And Sound of Your Heart and Friday and Tales of the Strange, but they're all short stories. Sound of Your Heart is pretty much all single stories with rare callbacks, Friday generally ranges between 2 ~ 3 chapters per story, and Tales of the Strange is a bit longer but still not too long (except that one about the dog).

I finished Bastard but skipped like, 20 or so chapters near the end. I only read the last chapters once I found out it had ended.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shugojin posted:

Tales of the Strange/Unusual is super fun

I like that it's not just horror but stuff that's like, strange. Like the most recent arc with the wigs.

Too bad the west doesn't get the extra joke chapters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know what you're talking about but a world with no mushrooms is good so I support her actions, whoever she may be.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

The more I read webtoons the more I enjoy the layout. I disliked it a lot at first but it's grown on me, mainly because I just navigate each update with page up/page down or the scroll wheel. Far, far less clicking than other webcomics.

It might also be because they're free and easily available, but I've been enjoying them much more than Manga as well.

How does Webtoons actually make money though? There's no advertisements I have seen, and no 'store' where I can buy like books or merch of any kind. Not that I have a craving to but I got curious how they keep afloat.

Uh, I found this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-webtoons-2016-2

quote:

Kim has been able to keep comics on the site free through a total of 16 different revenue models which include purchasing native advertisements from other app services, selling IPs and creator IPs to different markets, featuring comic characters in ads, and turning some of their characters into licensed products.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I binge read Gosu (The Master) over the course of two days and it is simply amazing.

The action scenes are stunning, the story is engaging, and the visuals are spectacular.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gosu-The-Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's neat that because Gang Ryong is so strong, a fair number of arcs explore the people he encounters, and that it delves into their stories, thoughts, motivations, and whatnot. And it's not even always about just fighting, like the first few chapters of the Baekmagok arc, where it's just two dudes going around and selling stuff.

All of that stuff is really neat.