Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite aspect of generic korean gate stories is the economy. it's such a ridiculously positive view of capitalism. fight monsters to get rich instantly!

I’m waiting for a dungeon gate story where the top 0.02% of hunters are wealthy celebrities and everyone else eats poo poo.

I just think the setup lends itself well to a critique of capitalism, where clearing C-tier dungeons is essential, but also basically worthless. The closest thing to this is the Clever Cleaning Life of The Returned Genius Hunter (or some title like that) but hunters themselves are still valued in that, it just adds in a new poo poo job for people to get exploited in so it’s still pretty different.

Also, when the hell is Doom Breaker going to update? Really hoping there isn’t a third hiatus notice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

good news

https://www.asurascans.com/reincarnation-of-the-suicidal-battle-god-chapter-61/

its a bit funky on phones due to the huge amount of ads

Nice, there’s a few chapters even.

Doom Breaker gives off the impression that things are plotted out in a fair bit in advance, so hopefully it’ll keep a good schedule for the current arc.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Another impressively misleading title is Solo* Max Level** Newbie***

*Not solo
**Spends an inordinate amount of time at level 1
***Most experienced veteran

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The other thing about Murim series is that every technique is called something like Earth Shattering Thousand Dragon Palm.

Wow,, is that the most powerful martial art? No! It is the weakest martial art

What about the Sky Piercing God Slaying Divine Fist, now that's gotta be the most powerful martial art. No, it is the second weakest martial art.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I bounced off Eleceed very early on. Maybe I needed to give it more of a chance, but the start just didn’t grasp me. Guy turns himself into a cat then sits around doing nothing. Which is pretty in-character for a cat, but did little to get me hooked.

The newbie is too strong I also bounced off early. I’m actually kind of a sucker for “tower of trials” style manwhas, especially if they have good scenario design to them. But I absolutely cannot stand ‘streamer sucking up to twitch chat’ elements. I already find it intolerable with real streamers, but doubly so when it’s fictional streamers appealing to fictional viewers. And it was particularly annoying here because the guy already knows what to do, but he’s pretending to be puzzling things out for the sake of impressing non-existent people.

I find it much easier to criticise things than to champion them, but some things I like:

Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint
Has interesting scenario design. Even though the MC knows almost everything it still does a good job of sweeping him up in events beyond his control. Constellations/Gods/Whatever feel powerful and self-interested, so they feel more like celestial beings than twitch chat losers.

Doom Breaker
Takes a little while to get going, but it’s a regression story that feels like it’s plotted out in advance and the small details matter. Does a good job of portraying a world where it feels like things are just about to go horribly wrong all over the place at roughly the same time. Which means whenever the MC scores a big win, he immediately has to pivot to sorting out the next disaster before the world gets ruined so it does a good job at maintaining an overhanging threat. Also the gods are dicks.

Greatest Estate Developer
MC is the right side of rear end in a top hat - he’s arrogant, super greedy and aspires to be lazy; but also works hard, protects his people and takes the biggest risks himself. The focus on construction gives it a unique feel, and differentiates it from a typical power fantasy. E.g. Getting a massive strength boost and getting excited about mining more efficiently. Fun faces, cute summon creatures and good character banter. It sort of feels like stuff just happens arbitrarily at some points though, especially when introducing new arcs. “Here’s *rolls dice* a vision of your home getting attacked by monsters. You should probably do something about that.” Some parts of the setting are kind of generic too, but the fantasy races have decent (if somewhat silly) twists to them.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

I've been reading the ember knight which I'm liking a lot despite the fairly sparse art. Reminds me a bit of ares

I like it too. Weak as poo poo guy using bluffs and trickery to defeat more powerful opponents is something that sets it apart from most Manwhas. And I like the powersets in it. I like how the artifacts have very specific special properties so their wielders need to puzzle out a way to make them actually useful, or how the knights have restrictions and limitations on their abilities that they desperately want to keep secret.

I’ve seen some awful translations of it though, which is... unfortunate because bluffs and tricks make zero sense in a bad translation.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I haven’t really seen K-Isekais start with chapters of their ordinary lives on earth, but I have seen them have really extensive flashbacks that pop up kind of randomly. Usually involving them being super poor or suffering some kind of misfortune.

Jose posted:

Having read so much trash while injured that I forget what is what I read a series, probably asura scans but maybe not, that is someone reincarnating into a world with guilds and stuff and he teaches on of the guild masters some lightning skill as he's school friends with the son. The son gets kidnapped by a rival guild who gets destroyed. This isn't the best description but about all I can remember. It's probably on a season break. Anyone know what it was? I don't think it had gates with stuff like a lot of series

I’ve read most of the stuff on Asura Scans and this isn’t really ringing any bells for me. What kind of world did he reincarnate to? Video game world, Tower with various floors, medieval Europe style fantasy, ancient China style fantasy?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I wouldn’t call Solo Levelling and Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint isekai exactly.

Definitely significant similarities sure, but if anything it’s the reversal of a typical isekai. Instead of someone from modern society being (permanently) thrust into a strange and different fantasy land, you have creatures from fantasy lands invading modern society (and heroes/players/challengers only briefly go to fantasy lands to clear dungeons/missions). And seeing as there’s about a thousand Korean webtoons with this exact setting (including having an obligatory tower for people to climb) seems like there’s a meaningful distinction to be made between isekai and this ‘dungeons/gates invading’ setting.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
To me there's a meaningful distinction between:

'Guy from Earth goes to fantasy land' vs 'Monsters from fantasy land invade Earth'

Isekai
Fantasy land setting
Supporting cast predominantly from fantasy land
Common tropes:
Demon Kingdom
Fantasy/Demihuman races
Lots and lots of slavery
Joining the adventurer's guild to collect 70 boar anuses to rank up

'Gates'
Modern Earth setting + invading monsters
Supporting cast predominantly from Modern Earth
Common tropes:
Missions/Scenarios
Constellations
'MMO' Guilds antagonising each other

Isekai is really just a subgenre of fantasy, but we say Isekai because that's shorthand for a clustering of tropes and trappings. I sort of think the gates/dungeons thing is widespread enough to be considered its own subsubgenre because there's probably thousands of those stories.

GateOfD posted:

But I think Reader's Viewpoint is one, he literally isekai's into the webnovel he read, which also happens to have mission objectives

ORV is a bit more debatable, but I don't think he got sucked into the web novel because there are characters from outside the webnovel that are still around (his coworker, his mother, the "prophets" / other people that read the story). I think it's more that the events of that web novel started coming true.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
My first guess is it probably matches up with popularity of different video game genres. The gate invasion setting is basically “what if MMO, but real life?”. But even if I’m right there I suppose that’s more of co-symptom rather than an explanation.

Probably a complex social reason behind the differences in Chinese manhuas too. (They seem even more transparent a power fantasy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

I realise nobody here understands the economics of it but I'd love to know how much any of this makes enough money to work. Is it a simple case of amateur web novel with a good enough idea for a series which takes off and both make money. If it super takes off they might even get an anime and be set for life if the original author kept IP rights. There are tons of studios pumping out work now. Is it just way, way cheaper than say WSJ to toss an idea/keep one going for a bit longer because there is no physical print space to take up

I think the Korean Webtoons are cheaper/easier to produce than a manga of similar quality. Partially from having no physical release but also because the digital tools they have make the process easier. In some situations it leads to stupid poo poo like the same castle showing up in 80+ different series, but a lot of the time it seems to work out okay. I’m just paraphrasing an article I skimmed through so a) I don’t particularly know what I’m talking about and b) no guarantees that that author knew what they were talking about either, but it seemed like a plausible enough explanation.