Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The main things that interest me about Kubera are the characterization and the way it hints at both the future and the past. But those don't really show themselves until further in than three chapters. I agree it doesn't necessarily make the best initial impression. And it's the kind of story where you reread and go "Wait, isn't that connected to that thing later on?"

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, the draw is definitely the characters and their arcs and not the plot. It's also pretty good at hinting that things will pay off in a big way later, which I think is making me rate it much higher than the immediate moment-to-moment action warrants.

Yeah, pretty much what this guy's saying.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

KittyEmpress posted:

Also a lot of the plot comes from people refusing to talk to each other. I can think of like... seven or eight major plotlines that could have been avoided if people knew how to talk to one another. Everyone in it besides Ran are autistic as gently caress when it comes to interacting with each other.

Even Ran caused a big issue when he refused to tell one of the characters that a spell cast on her was meant to kill her, because he was afraid of her being scared. Which lead to her running away until her time limit was nearly up, and barely surviving.

I mean some of the characters are neat and interesting, but the plot is horrible.

I can't really speak in specific (it would help if you named those major plotlines), but that's somewhat of a problem, yes. Though many of them have reasons for that. Asha in particular, she has issues. Boy does she have issues, big flaming ones. And she even gets called out on her treatment of Leez. At least a number of problems seem to be arising from Leez getting babied because she was raised in a village without even getting to go to school, so she doesn't know anything. But that's the exact opposite of what she needs--she isn't really that stupid, she'll learn if given the chance. Ran's offer to take Leez off Asha's hands might give her that chance.

Edit: And I'm beginning to become sick of autistic getting used as an insult for every single instance of maladjusted behavior, including ones not even specific to autistic people.

Mindblast posted:

Pretty sure the author has said that the main story was already written out in advance. How well is unknown of course. We'll see at some point I guess!

Complete down to exactly how many chapters there will be and what every one will be about. She showed a cropped (to avoid spoilers of future storylines) pic of the outline she sent to Naver.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 18, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Jose posted:

I hope this is auto correct because it will be amazing if so

Nope. Just my brain on occasions being as buggy as auto correct.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Serious Frolicking posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kubera/Vol-002-Ch-093--Taboo--005-?id=198050

Holy crap, they actually revealed a bit of the Asha mystery. I don't think that has happened at all before now. Asha has been hunting down and killing people who had god names.

We've been getting hints and pieces of that so far. I wonder what her motive is. Something Vishnu asked her to do? Does it somewhat relate to the tragedy that caused her to make that deal and become the Asha we know?

As for Noblesse, I read the starting part but it kinda got boring about the part where it stopped being so much about the vampire lord awkwardly trying to deal with modern life. It feels like the inverse to Kubera--strong start, but the more it goes on the more shallow it feels. Whereas Kubera has a weak start but becomes more and more interesting the more you learn.

I guess what I'm saying is I like Kubera a whole lot more than Noblesse.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Freaksaus posted:

I stumbled upon a manwha that's been running for a while called D.I.C.E. The premise feels a bit like The Gamer in that certain people called dicers are living an RPG kind of life. Thet get quests that give them dice and those dice can then be used to change their attributes like strength/agility but also their looks.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/D-I-C-E

What makes it distinct from The Gamer is its more serious take, with the has's and has-nots and all. Kinda reminds me of Tower of God in that both're about competitiveness taken to an unhealthy extent. This seems to be a not uncommon element in Korean manwha--probably related to how much competition there is in real Korea for top schools and jobs.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

pandaK posted:

E: I also love how (and this is probably all coincidental but still) there's just a ton of parallels to Tower of God that are starting to pop up. Considering how tight knit the webtoons community is, I have to wonder if it's all intentional.

It might be that both're essentially comments on the competitiveness of Korean society (I've seen at least one other webtoon with a similar focus). I mean, I've heard competition for the best schools and jobs is pretty cutthroat.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
That site's behind the times. There're actually seven chapters out.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, and some of those original English works on Webtoons're actually pretty good. But they're probably beyond the premise of this thread, I guess.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
There're some good lesbian comics at Lezhin. Haven't taken much of a look at the m/m stuff because my budget only stretches so far, and that isn't my primary interest. They also have m/f stuff if you're into that, I suppose.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I've mostly been reading GL stuff at Lezhin. They've got some good stuff.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'd make recs, but a lot of what I read on Webtoons isn't actually Korean and the others've covered the obvious grounds for Korean ones already.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'm being asked to do so, I might as well share. A lot of what I read is romance and the like, but I do have some more action oriented favs.

Sword Interval is set in a world experiencing a slowly ongoing magical apocalypse with monsters popping up but people're managing to hang on and maintain civilization. Our golden-eyed heroine seeks revenge on the skeletal entity Heirophant that killed her parents.

Room of Swords is basically a mystery where an astronaut, a knight, a warrior, and a cavewoman try to retrieve the pieces of a powerful sword so they can reach the Room of Swords while also trying to figure out what the hell's going on. Starts weird, gets weirder. As a bonus has strong bisexual vibes.

Scoob and Shag starts out as simple crude gags before getting much more interesting. Saying exactly how kinda feels like a spoiler, though.

...I don't read a lot of action packed ones, huh. Looking at my subscription list, my tastes seen to lean more toward f/f romance, drama, and some comedy. Still, I'll swear by those ones I just listed.

EDIT: To make it clear as if it already wasn't, those're English original language ones.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 31, 2019

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Shugojin posted:

I liked Live Forever, it was very pretty and is also over already.

Yeah that was rather good.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Also I'm still reading The Gamer. It's dumb and not very good, but it somehow manages to be dumb in a way that entertains me.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Out of curiosity, anyone else reading Burning Effect?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I actually find Webtoon's web browser version worse to read than its app. Their comics very clearly are designed to be read on a small scrolling vertical display (phones), not a large horizontal display (computer monitor) and the web site version has way too much white space on each side and isn't as peasant to read because it's way huger than the size it was designed for so those blank spaces between panels look more huge than they really are on the app, and so on.

That said, still lovely move locking stuff behind the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

GateOfD posted:

any notable series with a female lead?
Or even a good supporting character? Only one I can think of is the Lazy Count becomes a Swordmaster or something like that with the fiery redhead.

I rather like Fray on Webtoons, though it sadly got an early ending due to health and other reasons.

But what's there is pretty good and it does end in a hopeful way.