Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KittyEmpress posted:

I think I was reading it wrong, but wasn't the Doctor and the Welder's conversation about how what Shioon was going through being similar to Sosul? I hope I read it wrong, and we don't get super wimpy Shioon for another arc, before he can be badass again.

We've already had the super-wimpy Shioon arc for eleventy million years, it would be incredibly loving stupid to lapse back into that.

So I give it 3:2 odds on :v:

Isn't Sosul's body supposed to be the complete opposite of what Shioon's is supposed to be right now? All nine chi centres blocked or whatever it is.

I swear to God, I find Korean martial arts gibberish to be infinitely harder to parse than Japanese martial arts gibberish and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Algid posted:

No, it got fixed so now she's somehow burning dudes with her mind or something. She had all nine meridians blocked, while Shioon started out with 3 of them blocked. The medicine Shioon took unblocked them for him, and the process of having them fixed made him way stronger than normal. Having all nine blocked and then fixed is supposed to be even better. He was basically the guinea pig for the procedure that ended up fixing Sosul.

Right, I knew that was the plan, I just don't remember them putting it into action.

Though I do remember Sosul kicking arse, so, uh, ignore me I guess.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

After roughly seven million years of loving nothing, God of Bath is updating.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

vkeios posted:

I really hope we get more of these two providing commentary in future chapters.

Is it just me or do they look like father and son here?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

The Breaker: New Waves 137

I can't wait for Shioon to inevitably dismantle every single one of Nine Arts' crew. You know it's gonna happen, they're so gonna be sacrificial lambs to show how strong our little protagonist has become.

I'm actually hoping for more of a traditional shounen-style "everyone pairs off and gets their own fight" sort of thing. I'm not usually hot on those, but I like the supporting cast here and I don't think they get enough screentime. :3:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Silento posted:

A new Naver webtoon, "Magical Exam Student", got its first chapter translated. Could be good, I guess?

There's an extremely short ch. 0 up there as well, if anyone missed it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Suddenly, Magical Exam Student is the best thing in the world :allears:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212962/magical-exam-student_ch6_by_vendetta-scans

TRIMMING COMPLETE :black101:

EDIT:

This is driving my inner Timmy nuts. ALLOCATE YOUR POINTS ALREADY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 21, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Further evidence that Han Jee Han's ability is too OP.

Soon we'll start to see the downside: level scaling.

Jee Han will grind the world into a zombie apocalypse. :allears:

Cynic Jester posted:

Move over Breaker, Gamer is the new poo poo. I love this manhwa so much.

I think if I laugh any more my face muscles are going to lock up again.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kubera chapters 82 & 83 are out.

On the one hand, I'm all :ohdear: because I like Yuta and don't want to see him get filleted.

On the other hand, I'm all :ohdear: because Kasak's fears are clearly all entirely justified, holy poo poo, calm the gently caress down Yuta.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

j4on posted:

Seconding this. Same author did Annarasumanara, 3 Level Combination, and God of Bath. Good stuff.

Oh! Well poo poo, why didn't you say so? That's an automatic buy for me. Guy's got the Midas Touch.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The main story is dumb as hell and incredibly slow. The character work is pretty good, though.

Yeah, the draw is definitely the characters and their arcs and not the plot. It's also pretty good at hinting that things will pay off in a big way later, which I think is making me rate it much higher than the immediate moment-to-moment action warrants.

Invictus, the opening arc is egregiously bad, and thing will pick up after that, but it hits a sort of middling plateau phase pretty quickly and improvement from then on is glacial. If you're not digging it by the point she gets the bracelet and the little white haired kid shows up (being as vague as possible here to avoid spoilers), I think you can safely drop it. Later parts are better but it would take you forever to get there.

For what it's worth, I've been enjoying it a lot more than ToG since ToG's tournament arc started. (Yet more proof that tournament arcs are never not the worst.)

EDIT: Re: the art; it's terrible, but all webtoon art is loving godawful, tbh. It's the really flat colouring everything has, makes it look like a bad children's cartoon. :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 16, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

I still don't get what the hell the main plot is supposed to be, though. All of the sura are looking for Kubera's name at the behest of the god formerly known as Kubera. The sura are cooperating for a variety of reasons. But, old-Kubera has known about Leez for most of the manwha. He seems perfectly content to let Leez run around and do her own thing. Why is the search and attempted destruction of all human civilization still continuing? Whatever the power of the name even consists of, old-Kubera was capable of making a portal from the sura realm which isn't supposed to be possible any more. In other words, he is still very much a god, and what's more he lacks Agni's dependence on a host. If he wanted to stop all the bullshit he probably could.

It seems less like an intentional mystery and more like the author didn't think it through very well.

You should probably spoil that poo poo. But:

I think, if you read it carefully, there are hints that Kubera-that-talks-to-Leez and Kubera-that-leads-the-Sura are not in fact the same being, or are two separate and unreconciled facets of that being. My current theory is that Kubera-talking-to-Leez is actually an external manifestation of the power of the name that Leez possesses. This is based mostly on... the sword-test arc in the current city? Especially the conversation he and Leez have when she wakes up after the fight. I'm not sure, I'd have to re-read the whole thing to check.

Actually, this might have been talked about upthread. I can't remember. :v:

But, to be honest, I don't think we know enough about names and the particular metaphysics of the setting to say whether it's bad plotting or not. It's sure as hell presented like an intentional mystery, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Algid posted:

I guess it's because there's certain individuals who inherited the names of dead Nastika.

It was ambiguous, but isn't one of the defining features of Nastika that their names can't reincarnate? Once they're dead, that's it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The "can't reincarnate" thing is a property of the name, though. Or rather, deathlessness is a property of Astika names. It just makes sense to me that a Nastika name can die permanently. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Cheese in the Trap has started to get translated by Odd Squad again, and chapter 129 is just pure :allears: halfway through with Sul panicking in the car with Jee-Han who was starting to make a move on her to kiss her, then she freezes up, overthinks it, loses it, grabs his face and kisses him on the cheek before running away. Perfect.

That was pretty :allears:

This (c132) is what killed me, though. Oh, Jung, you psycho fucker :haw:

Serious talk though: Jung scares the poo poo out of me. I'm just waiting for the moment when he decides to kill Sul and have her mounted in the living room. :ohdear:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to watching Jung destroy people for once?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So, I don't know how many people are still reading Kubera, but

things

are happening

there are things are happening!

Specifically, Asha's got herself arrested, Sagara thinks she can take Agni (...I'll believe it when I see it), and Leez... Leez has gotten herself a pretty dress.

Personally, I'm hoping Asha goes down for this and stays down, because it's getting kind of hard not to [spoiler]see her as the enemy here. Her relationship with Leez was loving horrific even before we brought the "wants to murder her" thing into it.[spoiler]

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jose posted:

is it finally giving some answers to stuff? I know the scans continued despite webtoons having it so i'm not sure if i'm ahead or not. guess i'll just skip back a while and catch up since i can't really remember anyway

Webtoons is actually caught up with the scans now, because Kubera's been on hiatus for the last twelve months (since Season 2 ended). It's finally back on the 6th of April, so this is probably a good time to get caught up.

As to answers... I don't know where you're at, exactly, but the last arc in Season 2 was all about Asha and what her deal is. It doesn't answer everything, but you'll end up with a much better understanding of everything that's going on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Mindblast posted:

I donīt know how much is revealed in Season 1, but what I know is Yuta is the offspring of a god and a sura, Kali and Garuda respectively. Kali can't be there for Yuta,
and due to unexplained circumstances shall never see him again in their entire lives(why is unknown, but gods have the Insight ability and Kali is a Prime, she can see more than most).
To give him something like a mother, Taraka was created. Taraka is an odd creation, technically a Sura but imbued with some abilities that are normally posessed by a god(like Insight). She received a copy of Kali's personality and memories, so she could effectively be a surrogate. She only appears like Kali to Yuta, though. To anyone else she looks like an eldritch horror, completely faceless with a maw and a ton of tentacles.

Yeah, and to be absolutely 100% clear the entire Taraka clan is fake, constructed to give Yuta a home.

Mindblast posted:

I'll have to go and recheck because it's been ages, but when I first read official translations they were janky as gently caress. And since it also made sense for them to begin translating from the start there was a massive gap between the newest chapters and where the official translations were at. The fan overlay fixed that very gracefully.

But that was ages ago so maybe the quality improved and they caught up?

The official translations are garbo early on, but I looked up the thcmpny scans and they're also garbo that early. :shrug:

The later overlay stuff is better, but does that go all the way back?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

edit: There's one thing I'm a little confused about. Are planets in the Kubera universe just sorta floating around and in relative proximity to one another, or do they orbit stars and what have you like in our own universe? I get the impression that the planet they're on (Willrarv) is significantly smaller than Earth. There's also a picture of Gandharva behind a planet at one point and the planet has a visibly uneven surface which seems to indicate it's smaller than our own planet.

I think Asha mentions at some point that Kalibloom is on the other side of the planet from Atera and that it's 20,000km away. That would make Wilrarv Earth-size.

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't think it's the author not understanding size differences or science, and more not caring. Sura, Gods, etc in Kubera are more in common with terrifying great old ones, than spirits and what not. They swallow suns if they want, because that makes this story more terrifying.

I expect the answer is 'science doesn't work here like you think it does, but some things look vaguely similar to the real world'.

This is the smart way to think about it, though. The entire universe runs on magic. Yuta regularly swallows giant monsters dozens of times larger than himself whole. Gandharva eating stars is probably as much about his being Agni's complement than anything else.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Menaka's dead. Dead in most of the flashbacks, even. Dead for a long time.

Ytlaya posted:

Teo is cute and Gandharva needs to hook up with her.

Yeah. :unsmith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ah, I see you've reached the "gently caress Asha" part of the story. gently caress Asha.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: So Leez just reunited with Yuta. I kind of hope Yuta never really overcomes his impulses, because it would be kind of unrealistic if he did (unless there's some specific reason the impulse goes away). He already seems to desperately want to resist the urges, but it just sort of happens regardless of how much he fights it. It seems like "devouring Leez's face" is sort of like the equivalent of "getting a boner" for Yuta; it just happens even if he doesn't want it to.

Well, a rakshasa's mental age is dependent on their stage of development. So, second stage Yuta is a sweet kid because second stage rakshasas are kids; third stage Yuta is an impulsive horny edgelord because third stage rakshasas are adolescents. I'd expect Yuta in the fourth stage to be much calmer and in control of his urges.

Of course, Yuta likely wouldn't develop again in Leez's lifetime, even if that lifetime wasn't tragically short.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gologle posted:

And as for more short term predictions for Season 3, I fully expect Kasak to be dead at this point. It doesn't seem possible for him to be alive in the sura realm unless his dad came in to save him.

Well, we're now four chapters deep in Season 3 and he turns up alive in the first after the preview. Also: Leez got hot.

Anyway, I think we can stop spoilering translated stuff now. It seems everyone is caught up and this page is starting to get a little black bar heavy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Forget what I said about everyone being caught up, I guess. :v:

KittyEmpress posted:

So, without spoiling specific things, does Kubera ever get less... mean spirited about Leez? I don't mean like, avoiding tragedy, because while I've been avoiding the black bars I know it turns pretty dark... but like... I'm 30 chapters into it. Every single comedy moment so far has been "Wow Leez is so dumb/childish/ill mannered/disgusting/ugly/useless/powerless", with constant references to "She's super ugly actually, just drawn pretty looking' and generally bagging on her at every single moment. It's not even just in character with Asha telling her she's dumb - the narration itself and the out of universe explanation for things constantly bags on her for being ugly and fat and dumb and useless and having no skill or power or anything redeeming about her.

I don't really know if I wanna read the story if this is how its jokes are gonna be throughout it.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: so the thing is, characters in Kubera tend to have a lot of layers, and the comic likes to take its time unpicking them. So, you start off and Leez is presented as this crude, ignorant yokel from bumfuck nowhere. Because she is, pretty much. And the comic gets some easy laughs from her not knowing what anything is or what's going on. But the comic also knows there's a real person under all of that, and eventually it starts digging into it.

And I think it is a lot more down to Asha's viewpoint than you think- the narration's more third-person limited than omniscient, and the comic gets progressively more and more sympathetic to Leez the more we see her in the company of people who aren't Asha.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nope. the fan translation was also really bad most of the time.

Given how dense and jargon-heavy the story is in either case, I wouldn't bet against it having been a poorly written mess to begin with.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It took about a year, but Kubera is finally part of Kubera again! :toot:

I was kinda expecting zombie Ananta to be the one to destroy the universe, not infinite Taraka hordes. This'll do for an hors d'oeuvre, I guess.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Is The Breaker guys' new(ish) thing any good? "Trinity Wonder"?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I was enjoying Song of the Long March quite a lot before it went on (permanent?) hiatus.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Tamen de Gushi had it's physical release of the second volume suspended cause the publisher wanted to get rid of the yuri stuff, and the author declined.

What would even be left at that point

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jesus, Kubera. Girl better get godhood or something at the end of this. I'm going to be pissed if she really does end up dying miserably and alone.

That said, I am super interested in finally finding out what was/is going on with her mother/hometown. That mystery has been teased since like the fifth panel of the entire drat comic.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kubera's greatest ally is herself. Of course it is. :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sitting here looking at the reveal in the latest Kubera and going "oh my god!! this changes everything!!"

Only there is a little voice in my brain going "changes what, exactly? what does this mean??"

And, heck, I have no idea. It's definitely changed though!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That Works posted:

It's not a manwha but 'Lore Olympus' is on Webtoons and has outstanding and unique art and is based in Greek mythology. It's funny as all hell too.

Seconding Lore Olympus. I checked it out basically on a lark, not expecting much.

No, no, it loving earns that first-in-category status.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gologle posted:

Kubera is so good you guys.

gently caress yeah it is.

Vishnu & Kali: Given who they're named for, preservation vs annihilation would make sense, but I'm not sure I buy it. It's a little too pat and a little too straightforward, for a story that is so in love with messy, ambivalent, emotional motivations. I also think it's significant that all the positive readings of Vishnu and his actions, and the "Best End" thing in particular, are imputed onto him by other characters- those few occasions he's actually appeared on screen have all been framed much more negatively. Though, most of those are in Asha's memories IIRC, and she's definitely inclined to read everyone negatively. And of course- if this is Kali's scheme, she's already won. The other primaeval gods have all given up already- what's she still going for, an end-run?

Of course, I haven't done a reread in years and there's absolutely a bunch of subtle cues and hints that I'm going to be forgetting. You may well have a better grasp of it than I.

The God Previously Known As Kubera: I think of all the schemers he's the most straightforward and solved? He was party to the murder of Ananta by deceit, and regrets it. In atonement, he surrendered his name and teamed up with Sagara to resurrect the big snek daddy. Because of how names work in this universe, surrendering his left his power up for grabs to anyone who claimed it- which is how Asha got her power, why Kubera Leez is so strong, etc. I don't think there are any mysteries left there? Except possibly why he thought calling back Ananta's name-zombie would end well.

Yuta: I think there might be a possibility he could be killed permanently with the Sword of Re? Or acquire another name, and escape his position as Taraka.

The universe generally: It does seem rather comprehensively hosed. At this point I think a "good end" for most of the characters would be something like getting to continue on in a new, fresh, non-hosed universe. But Currygom could go loving anywhere, really, I don't think she's boxed herself in at all, cosmologically.

Personally, I'm holding out hope that Leez gets a happy ending. She can't just suffer miserably the entire manwha and die at the end, that'd be mean. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gologle posted:

More Kubera:

I'm not totally through all the chapters released so far in Season 3, I'm on chapter 150, but I see that currygom has gone on another hiatus so I'm hesitant to keep going for now. The whole reason for waiting all this time to read Season 3 was to build a nice backlog; for something like Kubera I don't like to be on the hook for so long for the next chapter. But from what we've learned this season, I still don't fully understand what Segara is trying to do, and I'm not sure if it's the translation or my flawed understanding.

I could swear in season 2 it was said that Nastika, when they die, they're gone. Their soul gets destroyed in the 0th Dimension, and only their Name is left, kept in that dimension where nobody can use it. The whole reason why Sagara needed to be stopped was she didn't understand that her way of bringing back Ananta would just be bringing back an incarnation of unstoppable, mindless, ultimate power that would probably just destroy everything. But this can't be completely true, because Menaka and Shakuntala's souls were shown to be active, which in itself doesn't make sense. Agni, one of very few, if not the only, god able to get into Paradise through his virtue, said that Shakuntala's soul is in Paradise, yet apparently she was part of Taraka? Was that just her body acting to persuade her dad? And Menaka's soul was waylaid by Kali and made into the Taraka Mom, and later somehow misplaced into Teo.

One of the big themes of this season is that souls are not exactly the same thing as people. The exact implications of this are uncelar to me (kubera.txt), but I assume it's going to have some bearing on this. Though, Shakuntala was a Rakshasa, are they subject to the same rules as Nastika?

Minor (?) spoiler re: Sagara: her motivations are made more clear in the latest chapter.

e: I actually completely forgot the discussion of Vishnu that's in the latest chapter :downs:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 9, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

About loving time

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm going to end up rereading it anyway, but what was the situation at the end of New Waves?

I think the last major plot point I remember was the one Sun Woo elder eating it in the failed sting at the school?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Danann posted:

Newest Kubera chapter:Holy poo poo I think this version of Leez has acknowledged the Ananta name which is how she can casually slap away a fourth stage partial-sura Yuta and mess around with time now.

Does Ananta have power over time? It's the strongest name, sure, but time travel strong? Plus, time is Vishnu's thing, and it seems unlikely that he would stand for poachers.

Or maybe I'm forgetting one of the seven million minor details in Kubera and it's been said he's a time guy already.

Lol that they've finally managed to teach Maruna compassion and all it took was an epic journey across time and space that took *checks* nearly a literal irl year of updates? Kubera :allears:

e: I say :allears: but this last year has really dragged to be honest. I just don't find Maruna a particularly compelling character.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Danann posted:

Weight of Time (5) has Ananta along with Visnu and Kali being mentioned by Chandra as one of the possible beings that sent Ran and Maruna into the past from the future.

The Other Side of the Story (15) also has Ananta showing off his powers and Maruna's noticed that he didn't move normally. Said chapter also has Ananta stating he's close with time.

There's also The Other Side of the Story (4) where Ravana serves as the readers' metaphorical Kakyoin where she lost most of her bees in one instant to Ananta.

Next arc is sounding like it's going to be spicy with that title name at least. I've also been reading the scanlation for Kubera which is more readable than the Webtoons version.

Fair enough! :toot:

Does anyone know when The Breaker is dropping, by the way? I am HUNGRY from some Shi-Woon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Shugojin posted:

gently caress YOU NASTYCAT

you won't get me anymore

Ah, this is the Trace guy, right? I never read anything of his after that and frankly I can barely remember it.

What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah it's a fun one. I fell off it a while back because I get second-hand social anxiety like crazy and reading it week to week was, uh, excruciating, but I hope those crazy kids don't gently caress each other up too badly.