Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Blistex posted:

True, but Spock and the Federation didn't personally maroon her on a planet next to a Supernova like Kirk did... I just now realized how much they recycled from Wrath of Khan!

That still doesn't make sense to me. Spock and the Federation use their fastest ship to try and stop a supernova. Spock races to the source, drops the red matter, but it is too late, Romulus is destroyed! It seems lazy. That would be like making a move about a husband who loses his wife in the WTC attack, and decides to kill everyone in the New York Fire Dept, for not preventing the attack. But, because it's "space" this line of thinking is totally acceptable.

You're right. It's almost as if you would have to be insane to make that sort of connection! Maybe that line of thinking would be one a crazed insane villain follows... naaaah.

Edit: Not only that, but he had already accomplished his original goal (with an added unexpected bonus of not only making Old Spock watch his entire planet die, but Young Spock watches his mother die right in front of him. Two for the price of one!), so I guess he decided to step it up a notch.

And I'm pretty sure you could make a good movie about a husband who goes insane after his wife dies and lays the blame on the people who tried saving her. I'm pretty sure there's one or two movies like that around and I'm pretty sure this happens in real life.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Styles Bitchley posted:

Having trouble discerning sarcasm ITT.

The one thing I disliked most about ST09 was the weak villain element. With few exception I almost cringed everytime Bana spoke in the movie.

Also, seriously couldn't they have thought of a better name? Almost as bad as Klingon General Chang. Maybe Star Trek 2.2 will introduce us to Cardassian aggression, personified by the ruthless Gul Chavez.

What's wrong with "Nero"? The real Nero was an rear end in a top hat, and Romulans are just a bunch of Roman jerks anyway. It's not like Star Trek is subtle about it (or anything).

• Locked thread