Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akalies
May 31, 2000

Glitterbomber posted:

Romulans are as a culture taught to be very patriotic and respectful of the leadership and all...

I still feel the Nero/Spock rivalry is a stretch. I believe Spock was one of the few trying to save Romulus - sure his plan didn't work, but at least he tried.

I can look past that and accept Nero is insane (although he doesn't get enough screen time to show that), but why not take his fancy ship full of advanced Borg tech to the senate and warn them?

Empire is saved AND now has technology/knowledge from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Young Freud posted:

Which he probably would have done if he wasn't crippled by the Kelvin, which led to his capture by the Klingons. Of course, this would have been easier explained if they hadn't cut out Nero's imprisonment and escape.

Why not do it after he escaped? Why head over to Vulcan (a federation core world) alone and start poo poo first? Sure it might be tempting, but even basic reasoning makes saving the home world the priority. Especially since his family man status was so important to his personality... Uh supposedly.

Why not do it at any point in the film? Sure the Romulans would be suspicious, but giving them a free super ship with sensor logs of the home world blowing up would probably be enough to convince them to watch out for it.

Edit: In an effort to figure this poo poo out for myself I made the mistake of reading the Nero article on Memory Beta. Apparently in a comic book V'Ger wanted to make love to the Narada, and since Nero was on drugs he had a psychic link between the two. Welp. I still really like Star Trek (2009), but maybe I just need to accept it for the thrill-ride it is. It's too bad - Nero had a lot of potential as a cool character. If it was handled better, he could have easily been Spock's Khan.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 10, 2012

• Locked thread