Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If you have the Star Trek phone app, you can book tickets for a preview screening on the 15th of May.

I would, but the nearest one to me is 18$. No thanks.

Do you have to have the app to get this or is it possible for you to post a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Well I got the tickets and not sure what I am looking forward to more. The movie or the cosplay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McSpanky posted:

That makes two of us. Badass Captain Pike deserves more, dammit.

BEEP

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You forget that Star Fleet is an organization that made Janeway admiral. Nothing makes sense there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Janeway may have been reckless and erratic for an Admiral position, but at least she wasn't infested by evil space parasites.

I would have love to see Picard and Riker cause Janeways head to blow up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

And even he worked with Section 31. But overall he was the most competent/least corrupt by a wide margin.

I guess Admiral Forrest from Enterprise wasn't that terrible either, now that I think about it.

Admiral Kirk :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kirk wasn't corrupt enough to be an Admiral, so they knocked him back to Captain.

He knocked himself back to captain by going awol.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I've never thought about it before, but Starfleet really did have a horrible command staff. How did they not lose the Dominion war?

The Sisko

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well we never saw much of what Picard and Co. were doing during that time, did we?

Yes we did. It was called Insurrection

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Okan170 posted:

To be fair, Robert Wise mentions that this is done as part fanservice and part as an attempt to help make V'Ger appear much larger and intimidating when it shows up. After all, we get a good scale for the ship and then seeing that ship dwarfed brings us into the moment of feeling so helpless as the Enterprise is drawn deeper and deeper into its never-ending complexity.

I still find it amazing how talented Robert Wise is as a director. The guy could direct any genre.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mogomra posted:

The Hauting from 1963 is still, by far, my favorite horror movie of all time. I'm amazed every time I think that the same director directed TMP, and The Hauting.

Lets not forget West Side Story, Sound of Music, Day the Earth Stood Still, and The Andromeda Strain. The dude was a really good director.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shanty posted:

I have dramatically cut the length of your post yet it retains its point perfectly!

Also the entire episode of Spocks Brain.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 19, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

penismightier posted:

DS9 got real goofy when it did those heavy episodes, like the overacting LA waiter playing a hardened Federation badass with the necklace of ketracel white canisters around his neck. That whole thing was just trivial and silly.

That battle should have ended when Kellin sent all of the Jem'Hadar to the cornfield

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Throwdown posted:

Yeah they did, Chekov was hogging the toilet.

Khan does not like floaters

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Whoa whoa, I have no problem with Mudd being a woman. I have a problem with Mudd showing up at all in the sequel. Granted, I doubt he/she will, but showing up in the comic is a little too close for comfort.

Chances are its just an easter egg, and if they ever bring that character into the movie they will ignore it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Great_Gerbil posted:

Which is why I think it's too much of a coincidence.

So a prequel comic has a character from the movie is a coincidence?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but this would be the first time that Kirk and Marcus get together, which makes sense if you're looking for a canonical love interest for Kirk's early career.

I really hope that since she is in it people expect it to be a rehash of Khan, but instead Khan is not even in it, and she ends up siding with the villian.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Guess you haven't seen Torchwood.

NO ONE SHOULD SEE TORCHWOOD

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Instead we got Thor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh man, those better not be the only good Bones moments in the film! :argh:

Every moment with Bones is a good Bones moment :colbert:

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 9, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rocket Ace posted:

...and for not bothering to check up on him. Or anyone one else from Starfleet bothering to do check on him. Dumping the entire crew of the Reliant on that desert planet might have been an extra bit of revenge against Starfleet in general.

Ya that is exactly what it was. He did have some legitimate grivences, but he went overboard with it. Also when they left him it was not a desert planet, it was just a bit rough.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

I'm kind of hoping that at some point in Pines run as Kirk there's a moment where he's getting his as handed to him, he suddenly has an "eureka" moment where he puts his hands together in the classic trek Double Fist Slam, and turns the tide.

Yes, it would be indefensively retarded, but its a reboot-cum-sequel of a franchise legendary for terrible fight choreography and it would be absolutely hilarious.

The movie needs to have the fight music from Amok Time. That music is classic and something that everyone remembers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Outside of time travel episodes New York isn't really portrayed at all in Star Trek. There are references to how _____ character's family is from there or whatever but if I remember right, outside of the west coast almost all of North and South America is large scale controlled farmland. Makes me wonder if, since it's kind of a blank slate it just wasn't even considered as a location.

Then again, future London was never portrayed either. Maybe they just wanted more gamers to look at the trailers and think it's a Mass Effect movie/ripoff again.

They can destroy London as England took over France a while ago and turned it into Dickensian London along with wineyards.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barudak posted:

Pretty sure Kirk tries to avoid bringing it up so space ladies think he's top of the Human heirarchy.

The early episodes Bones was as big of a pimp as Kirk

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch is a Klingon disguised as human to infultrate Star Fleet. It would make him sort of like an Augment while not rehashing it, and bring the Klingon's back in a big way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Goreld posted:

I was thinking this after seeing the new trailer. In particular, this part:
here

And wondering... what the hell is up with his eyebrows? At first glance it looked like botched botox stuff, but there's two or three sets of faint ridges near his eyebrows. If they went that direction it would even possibly tie in with the weird 'smooth brows are a Klingon disease' storyline from I think Enterprise?

Or maybe I'm seeing human facial muscles and wayyyyyy overthinking this.

Its also he just doesn't look human. There is just something off about him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Maybe Klingons in this movie look like Klingons from TOS.

No enough blackface.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

penismightier posted:

Y'all I feel odd about this since I've watched literally hundreds of hours of Star Trek but I really have to ask - what the gently caress is an Augment?

Khan and his people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

penismightier posted:

Oh, that makes sense. When do they call them that?

Enterprise. The episode with Brent Spiner

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

penismightier posted:

The Punch-Out!! uppercut yields a cleaner flip, but there's more élan to the Khan golf swing punch.

Kirk's hammer punch beats Khan golf swing punch

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 27, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WMain00 posted:

Empire Magazine pretty much confirmed this month that the ship in the trailer breaking up in the atmosphere is Enterprise. Whether it's the same ship that crashes into the water though remains to be seen.

Killing off Enterprise in the 2nd movie. drat you Abrams! :colbert:

As Battlestar has shown a ship breaking up in the atmosphere does not mean it will be destroyed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure that Spock and McCoy both get more chicks than Kirk does in all of TOS.

In the episode Shore Leave Bones bangs three chicks

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is for a starship to get past Jupiter in only a minute or so with only the impulse drive in Star Trek doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even in Star Trek terms.

They could always use the warp drive beyond warp 10, but you know what happens when they do that

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Today's the 50th "preversary". Happy First Contact Day everyone.

Hope the Vulcans get the salute and not the shotgun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 5, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Astroman posted:

Haha, if they based the new movie off one of the most Mary Sue works in Star Trek history, that would be loving hilarious! :lol:

That new ship is badass--very Enterprise-E. On a close look, I'd say the thickness of the neck reminds me of Excelsior, but from that angle the saucer is very C/Dish.

And the cryotubes...aw yeah. :dance: You know who ELSE had cryotubes, right?

I think this movie is gonna blow everyone's mind. Can't wait!

Edit: I also notice that not only is Pike still rockin' his TMP style uniform, he's sporting a dapper cane.

Bone's should have TMP beard. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

We already had an evil Picard and he was played by Tom Hardy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gyges posted:

The French are surprisingly British in the bold future of Star Trek.

At some point Henry the fifth returned, took his throne back, and took over France again. This time the French were not able to kick the British out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Why would "the universe" give a poo poo if it's an alternate universe, so things are never ever gonna be the same anyway?

Star Trek: we've evolved beyond the need for superstitious mystical nonsense, except when we need to handwave away silly plot contrivances

Nemesis doesn't earn your indulgence. This isn't reading between the lines, it's writing over them because there's nothing good there to begin with. You're literally putting X times better thought into it than everyone involved did, where X is any value you choose because anything times zero is still zero. And yes, that unfortunately includes Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner. Good actors sometimes make terrible producers :(

Lets not forget that the director was a complete idiot. He thought that Geordi was an alien.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

I'd love to hear this story. Is it something you pick up on from the special features on the DVD or what?

Interviews with Levar Burton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blistex posted:

To me, a one-dimensional villain is a character who's motivations are either not explained, or make no sense. Both Shinzon and Nero wanted to destroy Earth because...? I can sort of see Nero wanting to destroy Vulcan because it was Spock's home, and Nero saw his destroyed "at the hands of Spock"*, but Earth was just tacked on to keep the stakes high. Shinzon on the other hand makes no loving sense.

*apparently trying to save your planet and failing is vicious intent.

I thought he wanted to destroy earth because it was also Spock's home. It was also where starfleet was based and they said they would help and failed.

• Locked thread