Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Romulans are as a culture taught to be very patriotic and respectful of the leadership and all so yea even a random miner dick would be all 'I must reclaim the Empire's glory!'

Of course if you're NOT a super nerd it doesn't make sense and that's a failing, but if you're a trek dork it works.

Regardless though, bro has a legit beef with the federation, I mean obviously time-genocide is wrong but I can understand 'oh poo poo my people got wiped out including my pregnant wife, well gently caress this noise.'

Supposedly, and I'm getting this from Star Trek Online, so grain-of-salt, the Federation and the Vulcans officially declined to help the Romulans with the supernova shockwave. I believe Spock personally took the issue into his own hands with the Red Matter and the Vulcan Science Academy ship, but ultimately failed to save their homeworld, but probably helped them stem off some of the damage to the rest of their space.

Akalies posted:

I can look past that and accept Nero is insane (although he doesn't get enough screen time to show that), but why not take his fancy ship full of advanced Borg tech to the senate and warn them?

Empire is saved AND now has technology/knowledge from the future.

Which he probably would have done if he wasn't crippled by the Kelvin, which led to his capture by the Klingons. Of course, this would have been easier explained if they hadn't cut out Nero's imprisonment and escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noxville posted:

I took it to be because he was full of rage and none-too-intelligent.

Nero's basically a space redneck and Spock's space Obama who failed to save his hometown, his wife, and unborn child from getting flattened a natural event.

Of course he's going to think there was some sort of conspiracy and Spock wanted Romulus destroyed after all and the only reason he went to save it was to get everyone's hopes up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wait, Nero built a death ship?

I always assumed that was how the Romulan miners rolled, in giant planetcrackers that had dual-use equipment that would be considered beyond state-of-the-art weaponry in the 23rd century. Like, they're not even firing photon torpedoes or any other real weapons at the feddiepunks, they're throwing out autonomous mining probes with seismic charges that just happen to penetrate TOS-era shields and gently caress up TOS-era ships. Like, the real Romulan warships are running around with thalaron emitters and fire-through cloaking fields and other high-end weapons. You know, I don't even think they're carrying personal disruptors, it looks more like rivet guns.

That whole "Nero built a death ship following Romulus' destruction" seems less cool in my eyes than "disgruntled miner goes on rampage after Spock fails to save his wife".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpaceMost posted:

I'm just tired of the whole assimilation/hive-mind archetype -- Borg, Zerg, Tyranid, the Matrix machines, etc. Hell, even the Chitauri apparently.

The Matrix Machines weren't hive-minds, which was one of the things that made them interesting. They were interconnected to a high degree, but they possessed a selective hive-mind that they could opt-out of. Smith did this all the time, where he wouldn't tell his fellow Agents what he was doing or where he was unless he desired to. If the Machines were hive-minds, then you wouldn't have the Oracle, the Merovingian and his early-gen rogue Agents, or the environment programs and their daughter. Only until the Smith virus is introduced in the second film do they have the possibility of a true hive-mind.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Assimilation is a state of permanent ecstasy. A crewmember is captured, then rescued and turned human again, only to resent his rescuers for taking away his blissful existence. The protagonists struggle to explain why they value their freedom over an eternal life of happiness as part of the collective. Behind the scenes, the rescued crewmember seeks out the Borg, wishing to be re-assimilated.

It wouldn't even be that hard to explain. Being assimilated introduces you to thousands of minds that increases your intelligence a thousand-fold. You like being smarter and wanted and the Borg give that to you. Even when rescued, it's like a chunk has been torn out of your mind, leaving a hole that can't be refilled unless connected to the Borg.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If it's a species capable of producing females, Kirk slept with it.

I'm pretty sure they had to be humanoid as well. Kirk ain't sticking his dick in no spider creature.

Of course, The Undiscovered Country pretty much came out and said that it just had to be humanoid and female-looking and Kirk would be all up in that. drat, that shapeshifting Iman.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kippa posted:

The USS Yamato was another Galaxy class ship that got blown up in one of the early seasons of TNG.

Which was named after the Japanese anime "Space Battleship Yamato", because Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda were big anime nerds. Also, the Yamato from the anime is shown to be lifting up from the water (since it was built from the wreck of the Japanese warship), so, if this is the Yamato, then it's a nice homage to both the anime and the Sternbach-Okuda influence on Star Trek.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Astroman posted:

It does bring up an interesting point though, would OT Kirk and the gang be back in 1985 of this timeline? I'd say no, because what future could they go back to? Like Old Spock, their timeline is locked out. Somebody else would have to have invented transparent aluminum, Gillian is still back in the 20th century and probably dies well before WWIII.

Basically, when Nero went back the entire future as we knew it was cut off, and therefore all the future chicanery and time travel from the 23rd century and up to the 20th and 21st that we saw never happened. In JJTrek, Kirk is NOT in the 1930s with Edith Keeler. The Borg never come back to gently caress with First Contact, therefore Picard wasn't there, and the Borg stuff that happened in Enterprise never happened. Most likely, even the Future Guy stuff and Temporal Cold War may never have happened. So actually events in Enterprise that would have been canon aren't necessarily so.

Every time travel ep we've seen...Tomorrow is Yesterday, Little Green Men, the Voyager one where they go to the 90s. Not in the JJ Trek timeline. And speaking of DS9, what does that mean for The Sisko? Do the Prophets still bring him into existence, or is there some other Emissary? Depending on their real power, Sisko might actually still be around in a hundred years. But the odds of many of the cast of TNG, DS9, and Voyager even being born are pretty slim. Even the slightest change of a second related to their conception, even if their parents still got together and even if they had sex at the same time, still might mean Picard and everyone may never have been born. The farther you go, the more likely things will have changed.

Noonian Soong was pretty old by TNG, so he might have squeaked in and could still create a Data-like android. Tuvok was probably born around the time of TOS, but after Nero's original arrival, so he may not even have been around for the destruction of Vulcan, but he probably wouldn't have survived that.

Sadly, Neelix is still destined to be born.

They would still exist in the new timeline as artifacts of time travel between timelines, akin to the jet engine in Donnie Darko. It's an unexplained anomaly in the new timeline (this mysterious fat Scotsman appeared and gave a company the patent for transparent aluminum back in the '80s and, along with a Russian, is involved in a whale kidnapping) that does have an explanation (time travel). Just because there's time travel that happens later in the series canon doesn't mean it didn't happen in the JJTrek Universe.

Edit: I'm not sure if Abrams has mentioned the Sisko, so long as he doesn't blow up NOLA or Bejor, the Prophets will continue to look after the Sisko.

A quick check of Tuvok indicates he was born on Vulcanis, a lunar settlement, some nine years after Star Trek, so his mother could have been there or lucked out and were survivors before Vulcan imploded, while his father could still be in Starfleet Academy.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 7, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cellophane S posted:

Lest we forget the alternate reality where the Borg took the galaxy and Riker's beard is out of control

Or Tasha Yar's Romulan daughter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Starscream posted:

I believe this is called "Dune" in most civilized parts of the world.

To be honest, I thought of "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" myself, but "Dune" fits that description to a tee as well.

e:fb to the LoGH reference.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm wondering now if the Klingons are going to suffer the same fate as the Vulcans.

Spoiler text from the article: Mitchell/Harrison's going to Qu'noS

Also, "GATT2000" :whatup:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenophon posted:

Clearly the Enterprise is undergoing a baptism, washing the sins of the old canon away and giving rise to a gloriously pure new canon in which spaceships can go in the ocean.

Considering how many times "Space Battleship Yamato" pulled off similar shots in not just the movies, but the TV show (twice!), I'm going with this. It's a rebirth into new canon.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

~*~TheBeard~*~ 35M Daddy (Anchorage, Alaska, USA)

into: having to take a massive dump on a ship with no toilets (everything to do with it)

curious about : rusty trombone (receiving)

You know, considering we now have "professional" fan productions like Star Trek New Voyages that feature actual cast members, I would kill for something like a web series with Jonathan Frakes as Riker trying to pick up chicks to satisfy weird fetishes that Troi won't perform.

Because she knows them before he can consciously conceive them.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 13, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

So if I'm parsing this correctly, non-trekkers won't care, and trekkers won't care. So no one cares. Except...this guy.

I think the difference is that non-Trek fans will won't care and see the movie anyway, while Trekkers won't care enough to see the film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BulletRiddled posted:

I've always heard of the "even numbered Trek film" thing, but I watched Star Trek 5 a few nights ago and it was really good, and now I'm watching First Contact and it's awful. Apparently everything I've ever been told about this series is wrong.

It only really applies to the Original Series movies. Once you go to TNG, all bets are off.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darko posted:

I at least like watching Nemesis now to figure out how Tom Hardy survived it. There's nothing at all watchable in 5 because it's so terrible from the cinematic angle. Like Insurrection, which I've seen once.

I'm sure he started doing weights like Joe Piscipo, but instead, it actually led him to more work with Bronson instead of languishing in anonymity.

thrawn527 posted:

I'd say the best odd Star Trek film is The Search for Spock. It mainly suffers from a somewhat lackluster villain after having just gotten away from Khan, and has some strange moments. But it's fun when it needs to be, and has Kirk experiencing real loss, which is rare. (Yes, he had just lost Spock, but since he gets him back in this movie, losing David is one of the few instances of real loss that sticks with the character.)

Not just losing his son, but losing the Enterprise as well (which has it's own poignant "death" scene) and risking his career. It's only until the end of the fourth film that he's reinstated and the Enterprise rebuilt.

Also, it's got Doc Brown and Dan Fielding as Klingons. Seriously, Christopher Lloyd is the lead Klingon and John Laroquette is the surviving Klingon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

For a second, I thought there was a person running under the saucer.

So did I on the first couple of passes. I'm guessing it's motorized unicycle or motorcycle, or it's on a concealed track.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

New trailer is up!

Those sure do look like cryogenic capsules.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm still betting on John Harrison being an Augment or something. Maybe not Khan, but another of that ilk. I mean, the trailer shows him beating the gently caress out of Klingons, on Qo'noS, so I got to believe there's something special about him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Karpaw posted:

This is a good bet and it answers how he's able to help that guy's sick daughter - through illegal genetic engineering.

While I have yet to see the 9 minute preview, that's the gist of what I think is happening.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Man, apparently the internet is full of genius funny people, because these lens flare jokes are certainly the height of comedy.

The best one is still one of the Lens Flare presets in Adobe Photoshop Touch named "J.J."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

When I think of a militaristic starship I think of something like the Sulaco from Aliens with it's utilitarian gunmetal grey hull and giant cannons mounted on each side.

The Sulaco itself is one giant gun. I forget which one inspired which, but the Sulaco resembles by the pulse rifles carried by the Marines.

Getting back to Star Trek, the only issue I have with the J.J. Abrams' Enterprise is the Budweiser factory Engineering section. It's way, way, too open in my opinion. Granted, the original show and Next Gen had areas with big open spaces, but it filled them with visible signs of power that have been condensed in such spaces. Supposedly, they had the engineering sketched out, but it the Budweiser factory used as a stand-in for budgetary reasons.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 12, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

Looks like this:

It's basically bifocals for the camera so they can keep things far apart in focus like this:

They still use them a lot but they're usually much better at hiding the change in focus, lots of digital painting and strong line breaks. This shot from All the President's Men uses the same technique but much more subtly:

Robert Wise went balls out in TMP so there are these moments were two people are in focus and some machines around them, and everything else is fuzzy. It's really unworldly, I love it.

Wise did this a lot in The Andromeda Strain, the big one being in the guard detail that picks up one of the scientists. It's a cool effect and I always wanted to know how it was done. It does seem it's one of those things that can be easily done nowadays without getting the blurring halo effect. Also, it's not foreshortening, it's depth of field. :science:

I may have to rewatch TMP one of these days. I didn't even know Wise did that film until this thread.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cingulate posted:

There is a sad sad scene in Khan where the young ensign Scotty had hyped before dies after the Reliant's first attack. "He held his post" or something, and it's a perfect "war is hell" scene in the one sense of the word, where war is the necessary hell where men can show they're men.

Dude, look at that poo poo. Whatever plasma leak happened vaporized most of his suit and burned the flesh underneath it in short order. Even Scotty is banged up and bloodied.

Cingulate posted:

The guy dying in fulfillment of his duty is some "Peter Preston", who was overeager to go to space. I guess you could also read him as a critique of that type of person.

I'm surprised you didn't get this from Memory Alpha as well, but Peter Preston is one of Scotty's nephews. Scotty has even more reason to be upset at losing someone under his command, especially when it's his blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trast posted:

Those new Gorn are just awful.

Yeah, I'd prefer the hulking humanoid Godzilla dudes with insect eyes to humanoid velociraptors.

• Locked thread