Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GrumbleGrumble posted:

I like this humor quite a bit, it's based on two things I enjoy.

It's amazing the way you *NOTICE TWO THINGS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

I don't think this ever actually happens though? In most cases that I remember, whenever a species tells the Enterprise to gently caress off they tend to actually comply pretty easily unless there's some sort of living right getting stomped on.

It seemed to happen all the time with ships that weren't the enterprise though. Thats why Kirk and Picard and Cameron (:v:) got the command, they were the only non dick captains in Starfleet. Got a Klingon with a history of violence? I don't see the harm in giving him our most advanced warship. Bipolar Agressive Jerk? Send her off to hunt the Maquis with a full armament and the most advanced computer system in the fleet!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I like the concept and even the look of the engine room, but I couldn't help but think "man it's going to really really suck if they want to do any more engine room scenes in sequels." One plus about the fancy engine rooms of Treks past is that they could be done on a sound stage same as anything else.

The shot all of their warp cores into a black hole, all they need is some "future technology scavenged from the depths of who the gently caress cares blah" and boom, brand new ship gets a brand new engine room with shiny new generation warp cores because why the gently caress not. I would rather they stick with the whole industrial idea for it though, engine rooms in star trek have always been boring vestibules with a glowy tube in them, the engine room should be much more kinetic.

Edit: they should film it at the large Hadron Colider, because this:

Is some awesome poo poo.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 13, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's far more plausible for an engine room to look almost-exactly like a brewery than for an alien creature to look almost-exactly like a human being. Blammo!

Its far more plausible as an engine room than anything we see in Trek anyway. I mean, you have this reactor smashing together matter and antimatter and generating enough energy to warp the fabric of space. What do you do with this highly dangerous reaction? You put it in a translucent tube! Why? What the gently caress purpose could it have, is an engineer going to walk up to it and say "oooh yes, the glowy bits are really cranking now, business as usual down here!"

It just takes all the tension away from potentially cool sequences. "I need more power!" "AUGH Captain, I'm pressing all these buttons and looking frustrated! Wheres the make engine go improbably faster button on this incomprehensible LCARS display?!" People should be running around, banging on poo poo, pulling out components and slamming them back in, levers should be pulled. Action is about movement, Trek as a rule has all its action reduced to some dude pressing buttons on an iPad. That's why Trek 09 resonated better, guns have flippy bits, there are buttons to be pushed, even the touchscreen displays actually show something happening rather than static buttons and generic incomprehensible animation 1. The brewery isn't optimal but Ill take it over the boredom that is Star Trek technology any day.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Most of the humor in Star Trek tends to be verbal, or in subtle gestures.

Is this the same series where we see a starship captain is seen grappling and walking away from a bearhug from a guy in a lizard suit that can supposedly lift a 1 ton boulder? How bout an aging out of shape starship captain that would have trouble with a flight of stairs free climbing the face of El Capitan? There has been plenty of slapstick in Star Trek. Intentional or not, its there, tilt camera, everyone stumble that way!

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Smekerman posted:

Show something other than consoles exploding and people flying from their chairs? Because that's literally the extent of space battles in Star Trek series so far. Maybe some non-redshirt crewmember would be like "oh god we have breaches on levels 2 and 7 but it's ok, the containment fields are holding", but yeah, that's about it.

JJtrek not only has crewmen getting sucked into space (and getting beaten the gently caress up as they are) but it has a dude get pasted to the front of his ship when he rams it. JJtrek is essentially the darkest Star Trek entry when you pay attention to it, and at the same time it has the most lighthearted humor. It was a drat good thing that entry came along.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Scotty's a lovely uncle. Maybe if if you'd taken your critically injured nephew to Sickbay instead of the bridge, he'd still be alive.

That was the most bizarre thing, I thought maybe he was already dead when I re watched it not too long ago but nope, later on he dies in the med bay. Meaning Scotty took his dying crewman to the bridge to.. bleed on the carpet. Scotty may be an ok engineer but he is poo poo at triage.

epitasis posted:

Always assumed this was a Titanic allusion.

And I laugh every time, just like I laugh at propeller guy. In both instances I cringe just up to the thunk too.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

Because it's fun? It's also the same galaxy, more or less. If the TOS crew still somehow manages to end up on the Enterprise, why is it so far-fetched that they encounter other familiar characters that are also running around? Their fates may just be entwined like that, but the alternate timeline can mean different personalities and/or circumstances.

It may be the same universe but the inclusion of the same crew was more of a conceit than some nod to destiny or whatever. Even after the destruction of the Kelvin things would have turned out roughly the same given that not even a full generation had passed the ripple effect of children, grandchildren, etc wouldn't have been as noticeable.

But, the changes didn't stop there, an entire planet was wiped out, a planet that was home to one of the most influential Federation species. That is going to have a hell of an impact, attitudes about necessary force and militarization would be affected significantly as would negotiation with non Federation threats. With a weaker, or much more aggressive, Starfleet people that may have been tolerated as rogue elements before may be wiped out, standoffs with Romulan and Klingon fleets would have the potential to become much more bloody affairs. Some big loving ripples on that pond now, the chance of most influential characters popping up again gets pretty screwy then.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gatts posted:

I'm disappointed they remade it into a forced actionfest without any substance.

Well I suppose you can be disappointed, but Star Trek killed itself in the TV realm. Without a film with popular appeal the Trek brand was a dead duck, because no one was going to risk any money on a new TV series. The built in viewer base for Trek loves to bitch and viewership for the last 2 series turned to poo poo and there's no guarantee that even with the best intentions a new series wouldn't blow donkey chunks. Having a turret blasty lens flare blockbuster pulled Trek out of the morgue and drastically increased the chances of future investment in a tv series.

Also, totally dug the blaster fest, both on a generic level and a "Better than the TNG movies" level. It may not be hardcore Trek, but it wasn't Insurrection or Nemesis.. and was a hell of a lot better than spending a few hours watching Enterprise or... ugh.. Voyager.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Man, could Chris Pine be any more goddamn boring? Just the sight of him in these trailers makes my eyelids heavy.

And whats your excuse for the rest of you being heavy?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I really dislike it because it wouldn't be that hard to make it good. So much of the writing was just so goddamn lazy.

Even JJ has agreed with you here, but there wasn't jack poo poo he could do with the script. The guild was on strike, so they had to roll with a much earlier draft script than most people would have liked. If I'm remembering right JJ is a member of the guild as well so he couldn't make notations on the fly either without breaching his obligations to them, so everyone basically had to conform to the script as written (IE not well) which wasn't great. For what they had to work with they did a fantastic job.

Into Darkness doesn't have the same restrains, however, so I will probably be more critical of it if it isn't written much better.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cingulate posted:

"Going 100x the speed of light? No biggie. Going 10000x the speed of light? MY SUSPENSE OF DISBELIEF"

Yeah its incredibly odd that people would gripe about this. I mean, there's only so much screen time you can have for your movie, you aren't gonna waste it trying to establish proper time frames for magic space travel. People also never take time to poop in Star Trek, priority of screen time trumps minutiae.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, this bugged me too. On one hand, they wanted it to be bigger and more imposing so the audience would go "ohhh, that's the bad guy ship!" but it was kinda stupid to have the ship be that big when it could be controlled by one guy and had a skeleton crew.

Just because it could be run by a bare crew doesn't mean it was intended to be all the time. Once it became public knowledge they could scale it up to a full crew and operate it at full efficiency, the skeleton crew would just be a security precaution to make sure you can use the thing but there aren't many flapping jaws to worry about giving it away until you're ready.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Kangra posted:

I agree! That they did so while cashing in on the reputation of a well-known and much-loved universe with decades of history is unfortunate.

Star Trek cashed itself to death a decade ago. Not sure why you're waiting till now to complain about it. At least they are making a commercially viable product now, there would be no chance of a new series otherwise.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

api call girl posted:

You're going to have to point that universe out because I don't see one from here.

Its the one where Picard is taking orders from Admiral Janeway.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

DentArthurDent posted:

I understand that thematically they felt they had to end the film with "Captain" Kirk in the big chair, rather than Lieutenant Kirk or something similar, but like a lot of things in these two movies it starts to fall apart if you think about it too much.

Then, in the new film, we have Kirk being removed as Captain of the Enterprise...and told he is going back to the academy! So are we supposed to believe he has still been a cadet all this time, even while Captain of the Enterprise? Then five minutes later he is Commander Kirk and back on active duty (and an Admiral turns into a Captain)...and five minutes after that he is Captain Kirk again! Sure, a few senior officers died in the attack on Starfleet headquarters, but there must be hundreds (thousands?) of experienced Commanders, Lieutenant Commanders, Lieutenants, etc. in the fleet who would be better suited for those positions. Heck, why is Spock not put in command?

Dude, if you were a scheming admiral looking for someone brash and disposable to act as a scapegoat for your act of war without working out the consequences before diving in head first wouldn't James T. Kirk be like choice numero uno? Of course he had no issue sending Kirk back out on the Enterprise now that anyone who might call him on it was out of the way or wrapped up in revenge lust after the attacks on Star Fleet.

Cordyceps Headache posted:

It has to do with the implications of the technology. Magic blood that revives otherwise dead individuals has huge world-changing implications. Presumably they'll just keep Khan an co. frozen and drain their blood periodically, and stock every ship int he fleet with it. The feasibility of the technology matters less than the effect it would have on the plot and world, which in this case is to make anything short of massive body trauma easily fixable with a small injection.

Maybe? New Trek has been subject to vastly faster accelerations of technology. They now have portable transwarp teleporters, FTL communicators, vastly more advanced warp drives and all sorts of other jazz. I just chalk it up to a ship with integrated borg technology floating around for 20 years before Nero busted his rear end back on board and the presence of Spock who has been pretty fast and loose with his interpretation of what kind of info this timeline gets now that it is irreparably changed. Whats one more thing? Does the presence of a miracle blood elixir really even alter things that much? By the end of the Voyager timeline they were doing all sorts of crazy poo poo with nanobots, this just happens to be an alternate method of doing similar a few hundred years earlier.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 22, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

e: dp

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Unmature posted:

The only part that seemed like 1950's "YOU ARE WATCHING A THREE DIMENSIONAL MOVING PICTURE" was when Cumberbatch stuck his arm through the hole in the glass wall toward the camera. I imagined him, Kirk and Bones going, "WhooOOOOOOOah, WHOOOOOOAAH, whooooOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAooooooohhhh!"

Speaking of, the movable re-sizable hole is something I want right now. For just a moment Aperature Labs* had designed a bit of Starfleet equipment.

*I would compltely poo poo myself if the new Star Trek computer ended up with a Glados voice. :3:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

The video shows one thing very clearly, the plot does not make any sense and treats the audience like idiots who the writers expect will not be smart enough to see it.

Which on many levels is pretty true.

On the plus side, it still beats the hell out of horrible writing plus horrible action so it still beats the hell out of the TNG movies. They really do need to kick the gently caress out of the writing staff though, I gave 09 a pass because of the odd circumstances around the writers strike. STID doesent have that excuse and made no positive strides. The action was measurably better but even 09 had more heart. That opening scene with the Kelvin gets me, its not even good writing particularly its just a perfect nailing of the camera, desperation and music that just opens the film with a great sucker punch (Imagine how well this would work with a competent script! JJ has really been saving the gently caress out of these movies). They tried to do that with Kirk this time around but they picked one of 2 characters on the crew where that really wouldn't have any impact or consequence.

Is JJ sticking around for a third with the Star Wars projects coming up? His direction really kept the first two together despite flaws, if they can keep him on for one more and do a complete renovation of the writing staff there could be a serious gem in the making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

So the federation hires the best and brightest humanity has to offer, but none of them know how to build weapons at all except Khan, a man the Federation built?

Into Darkness is absolutely riddled with flaws, but are you really complaining that a character that was supposedly so smart that he had to be loving frozen because he was a threat to all of humanity wouldn't be able to sit down with some schematics for current gen engineering designs and figure out a few ways to improve them? I mean its not like he built them out of balsa wood and canvas using age old tech or something, he had plenty of time after he got thawed out to steal and modify existing starfleet designs. Its not that Starfleet was dumb, it's that Khan was really smart and he got to sit down with already existing starfleet tech and optimize it.

• Locked thread