Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Maybe he was seriously ticked off to discover Kirk had half inched his apple from his packed lunch while doing the Kobayashi Maru simulator.
There are three F's you don't do to a man.
You don't gently caress with his wife, you don't gently caress with his car and you don't gently caress with his food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Hewlett posted:

"IT DID HAPPEN! I SAW IT HAPPEN DON'T TELL ME IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"

This was the best line of the film, because though it did happen to Nero, he also knew how crazy it sounds in the timeline he is in and knows drat well how crazy it makes him look, but gently caress it, he did see it happen and he is constantly convincing himself that because it did happen he needs to do something about it, henceforth fulfilling the self inflicted crazy man prophecy.

I got shivers to that line in the film because I felt it encapsulated everything of the character Nero in one sentence.

Also, Eric Bana, awesome actor.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 22, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I am a life long Trekie, and I have seen this film twice now and it is glorious. I really don't get the hate.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

lizardman posted:

It must be noted, movie budgets over the last 15 years have soared WELL past the point of inflation. Global markets have exploded and allow for much more massive budgets than were ever conceivable in the 80s or prior.

Aside from maybe TWOK, none of the Trek movies were considered cheap for their time. No, aside from TMP, they weren't particularly expensive, either, but that was aided by the re-use of sets and effects models from prior movies, and later on they were able to refurbish assets from the TV shows as well.

The lighting and direction are kind of subjective and I won't try to argue, but honestly the effects and overall production values of just about any Trek movie were VERY MUCH considered high quality during their release. Every Trek movie (V being the obvious exception) had reference-quality effects sequences: TMP was notoriously all about the effects, Trek II had the Mutara nebula battle, the Enterprise destruction in Trek III, the bird of prey landing under the Golden Gate Bridge in Trek IV, the morphing in Trek VI (even if Terminator 2 and Michael Jackson got there first, the fact remains it was part of that first wave of CGI-use), the Enterprise crashing in Generations, the Borg queen's assemblage in First Contact, the Briar-patch nebula stuff in Insurrection, and the ship collision in Nemesis.

I didn't really mean to write out a big list like that, but just writing it out all those memorable effects sequences kept popping up. Even if some of them don't hold up so well these days, the fact remains that Star Trek movies were always high-quality, even cutting edge at times in their production values, and the effects work and makeup even garnered the occasional Oscar nod.

Not to mention that all the whales in IV were all animatronic.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

mr. stefan posted:

When Gandalf suddenly generates a force field that the Balrog cannot penetrate despite never displaying that capability before, nobody cares because it's Gandalf, he's a loving wizard, do you know what the limits on wizards are because I sure loving don't.

For those in the know, Gandalf and the rest of the wizards are actually mother loving gods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I was born in 1972, and I have grown up with Star Trek TOS, the films and onto The Next Generation etc... I can honestly say, knowing much of the lore as a trekie that STITD was loving AWESOME.

I just don't understand all the hate, it was a great amalgamation of two different timelines that experienced similar happenings. loving brilliant stuff.

• Locked thread