Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, I was anxiously looking forward to this movie. Now I'm more curious how he will pull it off. Don't get me wrong, Abrahams is more than capable, but there's many routes he can go and only a handful that are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

lizardman posted:

I hear SMG appears when you say his name three times in front of a mirror (hence why we always abbreviate it).

SuperMechaGodzilla
SuperMechaGodzilla
SuperMechaGodzilla

And I said that in front of a mirrored finished, too.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dude hasn't even read my past Trek opinions. I consider Star Trek 2009 the proper culmination of an unoffical trilogy started by The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan. Yes, I think it's better than those - but only marginally.

Star Trek 2009 is disrespectful to some Star Trek fans in the sense that it's specifically designed of a condemnation of everything that had happened to the franchise late in its life (like the notion that it must be a franchise), culminating in Nemesis. Its closest equivalent is probably Godzilla 2000, with its specific attacks on the worst Godzilla films and its return to the thematic roots of the series - without pretending that the intervening 50 years hadn't happened.

The implicit point, in either case, is that a proper fan has the ability to think critically about these artworks as art, instead of as 'expanded universes', franchises, simulations, or what have you. Star Trek 2009 treats "Star Trek" first and foremost as an aesthetic. That's why it's great.

I summoned the beast. and it was for the better. SMG, everything you say is spot on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LesterGroans posted:

That's not the point. It's not a discussion of his character arc in the film. Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor and will do a great job. The problem is with taking an ethnic character and whitewashing it for no real reason.

You mean the fact that he loving spot on nailed the audition using nothing but his voice on a lovely phone is whitewashing? Stop looking for controversy. They picked him because he can act, not because he's white.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LesterGroans posted:

No one's denying he can act. Tons of people can act. Are you saying their wasn't a single non-white person who could have done as good a job?

I'm saying no one nailed the audition as good as he did. Are you saying that when they realized Cumberbatch was white, they should have gone with somebody who was subpar in the audition?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Oh poo poo, guys. This dude that's been wanting this part for months, the one with the awesome phone audition? It turns out he's white. Can we get someone else to do this? You know, not white?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What if they kill off old Spock?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Here's hoping it's the underdeveloped villain Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess those photos could lend some credence to the idea that maybe Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell.

Or Finnegan. He was in Starfleet as well.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The MSJ posted:

Riker is so sexy he can make you gayfemale.

He also knows the only place to poo poo on the Enterprise.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 10, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I think dude is right. It is April. Now I just need to sit down and watch "The Counter-Clock Incident "

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Some Other Guy posted:

It's all an elaborate sex hologram that Riker came up with.

That also involves a bizarre version of the Enterprise-D with zero shitters.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

USS Enterprise JFAZW. It's the 4,201,337th ship to bear the name.

http://www.jfazw.com/comics.html

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I have no problems with an ÜberMensch being white. It makes the eugenics war seem more...disturbingly real. An Indian/Hispanic genetically engineered supersoldier seems less believable for whatever reason. Between WWII and countless movies, it's just in my head that way.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Great Bird of the Galaxy! That ship is massive!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

If Enterprise didn't suck so much, we would have had a Star Trek /Doctor Who crossover.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

der juicen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCI0I28HqfQ Main Theme gets me pumped up for next Friday.

Best Star Trek theme, hands down. Suck it TWOK.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

1st AD posted:

And The Voyage Home :laugh:
Wait. But the whale probe...

But that has the happened yet...

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

First Contact would not be canon

But First Contact is canon. As per Enterprise.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A white genetically engineered superman is far scarier than an ethnic one. It screams of Nazi Germany and makes Khan seem more entwined with past history. And more terrifying. I always saw Khan as more of a self chosen title or rank, a reference to Genghis Khan's legacy, his brutality, cunning, the land he conquered, and the death that followed him. Not so much the ethnic lineage.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 16, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

McSpanky posted:

PM me if you'd like an explanation for the strange sensation the humans call "love".

Only of you are willing to recreate that scene from Ghost. I'll also go for the breaching scene from Free Willy of you are in full body paint of a killer whale. And covered in fish guts

:wink:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

LankyIndjun posted:

It's especially sad because sci-fi (and even Star Trek as a franchise; TNG is awesome in this respect for the '90s, and even better than much media today, such as the film currently in question) is a potentially great vehicle for dealing with sex and gender in an awesome way.

Except for Sub Rosa.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The movie has my single favorite thing in all of Sci Fi, and the only time it's acknowledged. Faster than light travel produces Cherenkov Radiation, it's the blueish glow around nuclear reactors. Anything moving faster than light produces it, and they handled it wonderfully. It brought a tear to my eye to see that perfect color done realistically.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Just a reminder, Writer Carey Wilber first proposed the story of what became "Space Seed" in September 1966, early in Star Trek's history. In the proposal, the villain was Harold Erickson, an ordinary criminal exiled into space in suspended animation. He sought to free his gang from the Botany Bay, seize the Enterprise, and become pirates. Gene L. Coon proposed that Erickson should be a true rival to Kirk, a genetic superman who had once ruled part of Earth. After Ricardo Montalbán was cast, the character was changed from the blond Nordic Erickson to the dark Khan Noonien. ("Noonien" came from Gene Roddenberry, who had an old Chinese friend named Noonien Wang that he had lost touch with. Roddenberry hoped that perhaps Wang would see the episode and contact him.)

So the character was going to be white until casting.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 20, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

And V'Ger has already been encountered in this alternate universe. By Nero.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

With all the temporal loving around that Enterprise did during WWII, you think the may be why Khan is white?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Remember that Khan was supposed to have blonde hair and blue eyes in Space Seed, and the script originally referred to him as an ayrian but the actor dropped out and they went to their backup, Ricardo Montalbán.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

What's your point?

Again, outcomes matter - once you've cast a nonwhite person in that role, casting white is retrogression and whitewashing. I know racial politics are rough in America, but I guarantee you they're rougher from the "nonwhite" side.

So because their first choice didn't work and they with with an alternate they are racist? Is battlestar galactica full of man hating women because Starbuck was a woman? Racist because Tigh was white? Is anyone racist for recasting characters in remakes?

Who gives a gently caress, jesus christ. Stop yelling racism when it's not blatant racism. Stop yelling whitewashing when it's due to people dropping out of the cast. It's not intentional, stop treating it like it is.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

Intent is not a necessary component of racism. This is textbook whitewashing, and "oh well, we totally didn't mean for it to be" isn't an excuse, and you know it because you keep twisting yourself into knots in order to justify this.

If they had cast Alice Eve as Uhura or Chris Pine as Sulu, would you be making the same arguments?

Edit: I really want to preserve "Stop yelling racism when it's not blatant racism." for the record, since it's the most stultifyingly gently caress-stupid thing I've ever seen on the Internet.

It should have been intentional racism used the wrong word. By your rules, ever casting a person of color as a different race is racism, ever casting someone as the different gender is sexism, and there is absolutely no room for artistic license or recasting, everything has to be the same as it ever was.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

Because white Americans have never been systemically marginalized by Hollywood, unlike people of color.

Certainly not, because these things aren't neutral. Changing white men to women of color is a progressive choice, changing women of color (or men of color) to white men is a regressive choice, given reality and history. I hate to quote io9 here, but it seems most emblematic of your view:

"I don’t know. I think it’s nice that in this day and age, a white male can still be cast as an Indian played by a Mexican. White men really have come a long way!"

Only, you know, they're being sarcastic.

It helps that I never insinuated that this was out of an intentional desire to gently caress over people of color, only that in a racist society, defaulting to whiteness is itself a political statement.

So should they have delayed or canceled the movie because Del Toro dropped out? Should they have rewritten the script or said "gently caress it, we don't have a Latino, movie is over. Go home everybody?" Should they have spent months recasting, tweaking the script and making it so it was the exact same? What if they made Khan black? Or Portuguese? Or Korean? Would that be better than white?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 23, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

"Good" and "better than just going white" are not synonymous. If you're asking whether they would be better, then yes. If you're asking whether they would be good, then that's a different question entirely.

So what if Cumberbatch just rocked the audition? Should they have gone with a lesser actor because he's not white?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Supercar Gautier posted:

What if Chris Pine had rocked the audition for Sulu?

I'd love to see the cast mixed up. Uhura in the captains seat, Kirk at Con, Spock at Comm, Scotty at Science, Chekov at Nav and so on. Switch the names around, and if they kicked rear end, I'd watch the he'll out of it. It's not at all traditional to Trek, the names make no sense, and it's completely different from what anyone expects.

Yeah, I'd love to see that. Now I'm thinking of TOS Uhura in the captains chair and wondering why that never happened.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 23, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

Because Uhura is a black woman. Your desire to see things "mixed up" "different from what anyone expects" reflects the depth to which racial politics have affected media.

Sulu got his own ship, Uhura had enough experience in diplomacy and combat negotiations, but never got a ship. That bothers me. Diplomatic corps my rear end.

And it's more because Roddenberry thought women belonged in the kitchen. He was a chauvinistic pig who thought women in the future belonged in miniskirts.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Suppose this "Heck yeah, mix everything up, anything goes" attitude (which seems like biting a bullet to dodge the consequences of your previous argument) results in a cast of mostly established Hollywood actors, who are statistically mostly white. White Kirk, white Uhura, white Sulu, white Spock, white Scotty, tan Chekov, white Bones. Let's say this hypothetical cast all knocked their auditions out of the park. Is it okay to go full speed ahead with that?

When you don't pay specific attention to including minorities, they tend to be passed over. That's just the reality on the ground right now when it comes to casting and marketing. Indifference doesn't generally produce a representative sample of the population, it produces the status quo.

I was going with the original cast. Which was primarily Caucasian. If they wanted to recast say, Bones as Latino with Spanish influence, keep Sulu, Scotty and Chekov and Uhura as is while accenting Scott's heritage. Possibly make Kirk have South American roots down the line, maybe Portuguese, and gently caress if I know with Spock. What could you do with him? Hes not even human. Quinto did fine, IMO, bit maybe Tibetan? It would fit Vulcan philosophy.

Actually, that kinda works.

I'd still watch it, so long as the cast was strong and the acting on par with this or '09

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

Do you understand why this is never going to happen in the present Hollywood system and why that is a bad thing? And why regression (in whitewashing roles of color) is also bad?

Yeah, whitewashing is bad, but changing Khan to white makes him far more terrifying, and IMO works better. I don't consider that whitewashing. I don't consider changing Colonel Tigh to white as whitewashing because his character in Galactica was loving perfect. No one on the planet could top that.

I would loving love to see my Portuguese Kirk. Firstly because it would add something new to the character, secondly it would piss off the hardcore Trek fans

Now if they hired a Sikh to play Khan, had him wear the traditional headwrap, and made him look like the old painting of Khan from space Seed, that too would be acceptable. It wouldn't bring back the horrors of WWII and the total brutality of Nazi Germany that a white Khan does, but it would be a tribute to the original episode and probably work better assuming that the actor could portray the horrors of the Eugenics War summed up in a single character.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

api call girl posted:

Before this lovefest gets even further I'd like to point out that Ricardo Montalban was white. Shatner-Kirk was about as tan as his Khan was in Wrath.

At what point are we just quibbling over etymology of surnames?

Hispanic counts as white?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

Probably at the point where an American movie operates in American context with regards to race, and Mexicans aren't white in America even when they are in Mexico. It's hosed up, but that's on the white Americans who wanted to keep light-skinned mestizo and European-descended Mexicans out of white schools.

Woah, woah, woah.

So if Mexicans are white than casting Cumberbatch isn't whitewashing, by your own account! :iamafag:

But seriously, that's why Mexicans are considered Hispanic? Holy poo poo that's horrible.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Thank loving God we have you in this thread. I should have summoned you earlier. You really are the best.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I can't see an everyday bollywood actor as threatening.

Now cast a Ghurka as Khan and have him go around with a Kukui loving poo poo up, killing people left and right, in full traditional garb? Holy poo poo. That would be so terrifying. Ghurkas are the most ferocious warriors, and Khan going melee on Klingons decapitating them left and right? Daaamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Warszawa posted:

What does a Mexican look like? :allears:

Like that isn't a baited question. No matter what anyone answers you'll call them racist, you loving rear end. :vd:

Between 4'3" and 7'4" with any number of various skintones, accents, eye and hair colors.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 26, 2013

• Locked thread