Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Fist Full of Datas was the best holodeck episode, I think you made a typo

As for this movie, JJTrek and the other Star Trek movies may all have been sci-fi action movies, but at least II/IV/VI/First Contact were entertaining and had no overt product placement. I watched JJTrek when it came out, and having never seen Star Trek before, I liked it. Rewatched it a few months ago, having gone through TNG and DS9 :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Lobok posted:

Is Gary Mitchell ever referred to by any other name or title? Or might they have used the character but changed his name? Maybe the only reason the filmmakers don't want you to know he's the main villain is because "Gary Mitchell" is terribly plain, boring, and non-threatening.

Khan. V'Ger. The Borg.

Gary.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is it really space racism if you don't want to gently caress an energy blob?

Exactly. Racism is walking the other side of the sidewalk because you saw a group of black men walking towards you. Replace those black guys with Klingons and you're probably seen as a heads up individual with a preference for not being stabbed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A human heart posted:

It's ok because klingons really are bloodthirsty murderers? What the hell?

Yes, that's the joke.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

treeboy posted:

man this thread knows how to ruin cool things with overindulgent fanboy pseudo logic in a franchise littered with technomagic.

If it helps they simply used a charged phase inverted anti-polaron flow in order to regulate the containment mixture and produce enough gravimetric amperes to nullify the stresses on the hull. (this also had the unintended consequence of rendering much of the surrounding liquid into something resembling Diet Sprite)
No you don't understand. Technobabble to explain new abilities in already established fake technology is only okay when I say it's okay. Otherwise the screenwriter is a HACK!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Some Other Guy posted:

Here's a fun rant I stumbled upon: http://io9.com/5967942/dear-jj-abrams-just-ing-tell-us-who-benedict-cumberbatch-is-playing-in-star-trek-2-already

Apparently, there are people way more annoyed than I am about the whole mystery villain thing.

io9 psychotic breakdown posted:

No one gives a poo poo but Trekkers, and they're not going to care any more or less now than they would have six months ago (or six months from now, for that matter).

So if I'm parsing this correctly, non-trekkers won't care, and trekkers won't care. So no one cares. Except...this guy.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Zoe posted:

I dunno, looks like people are caring to me.

I guess I should replace "not care" with "not so up in arms about it they'll write a lengthy article about how angry they are about not knowing a certain thing about a film that's half a year away". Except that guy.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Crackbone posted:

How many of our Senators do you think could read an actual budgeting spreadsheet (and not some executive level summary)?

You've confusing legislators/executives with the bureaucrats who do the actual grunt work.

Baron Bifford posted:

A lot of those senators have backgrounds in said grunt work. Contrary to popular opinion, most politicians are of above-average intelligence (if you're so smart, why aren't YOU the leader of the free world?).

Also it quite fits that Gowron rose so high because, like modern politicians, the drive for higher power is slightly expedited with a minor form of megalomania.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jesus you guys read the Starfleet field manual once in your lives. Section 47 clearly states "If you save the loving Earth from imminent destruction you can have whatever loving ship you want. Least we can do."

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

Well, presumably since Captain Janeway filed a report saying she'd encountered Admiral Janeway from the future they decided it would be best to just stick her behind a desk and hope she'd do less damage than the temporal paradox if they didn't.

She would be an unstable element in a critical situation.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He's a Bynar, obviously, I dunno why there's all this speculatizing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So on Friday I go to work, and the woman in the cube next to me had ACCIDENTALLY dressed up as Commander Riker.

She had never seen TNG, and I tried to explain to her why it was funny, even showed her a picture. She thinks I'm an idiot now but she let me take a picture.

The god drat broach, seriously.

Commander Shelby NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Karpaw posted:

The scene is poo poo because Scotty is supposed to be in mortal danger and it's played for laughs, with Kirk chasing after him like a buffoon.

I see what you mean but having one of the iconic Trek characters die by drowning in the engine turbine is already a ridiculous concept so there's no serious tension for the audience regardless. The only tone that works is comedic. Only way to make it better is to not do it at all. Which is ok too.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SublimeDelusions posted:

Is it bad that I want to see the gorn fight in a future Star Trek movie, provided there is one?

Watch the Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly (Part 2)" if you wanna see a CGI Gorn kinda sorta fight Evil Captain Archer. That'll hold you over till then.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Wasn't there an episode in the original series where the transporters were out, and they just ignored the fact that they had shuttlecraft? Like, straight up pretended that they didn't exist?

Well in First Contact they could've reached the shuttle bay at any time to stop the Borg from using the deflector dish but for some reason didn't. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Picard has a throwaway line "We can't get to deflector control, or a shuttlecraft."

He says that, but they totally can. They give updates on which decks the Borg have reached and even till the end the shuttlebay is totally available.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Art Alexakis posted:

Christopher Lloyd is the bad guy in "Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock".

And in Star Trek 4 they use Christopher Lloyds vehicle to time travel :aaa:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

As Battlestar has shown a ship breaking up in the atmosphere does not mean it will be destroyed.

If the Enterprise warps out of the atmosphere to save itself the internet might melt from all the rage. Going to warp in a solar system is one thing, but inside an atmosphere JUS' CANNUH BE DONE CAPTAIN.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Or a graviton catapult or collide a Bajoran lightship with tachyon particles. Duh.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You'd have the certain knowledge Tom Hardy would go on to better things I suupose.

Tom Hardy was in Nemesis. No one in Insurrection went on to be a star. In fact I think they all killed themselves.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Plus Section 31 is definitely something from the Prime timeline that would feel more at home in the super duper serious JJUniverse.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

Nemesis didn't just break Picard, it drat near broke Star Trek. I think it's the absolute pits. Worse maybe, even, than The Final Frontier.

It is certainly worse than The Final Frontier. The "Show me your pain" scene in The Final Frontier puts all of Nemesis, hell almost all of Star Trek, to shame.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Blistex posted:

The only thing I really went, "YES!" to during the movie was when they used the phasers to detect Shinzon's cloaked ship.

Agreed. I love when they finally do something in a movie that I have been shouting at the screen for years for them to do.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

jivjov posted:

Why not? You've yet to provide any argument beyond "I don't like it". Trek does strange things literally all the time. There's no reason that tjos [articular event can't be handled well. Or it could be handled poorly. We don't know yet. On account of us not having seen the movie yet.

It's such a baffling demarcation of plausible/implausible to hold firm to. The blood of a superhuman having regenerative properties is so ho-hum for Star Trek. Like people have already mentioned: Q. He alone makes EVERYTHING plausible in Star Trek. What can't Q do?

Actually, you know what? I need my enemy's blood to live has already been done. Two movies ago. If you're gonna have an issue with that plot conceit, point out that it was done before (poorly), don't tell me "It's too implausible! GENOMES!"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

It's still Khan though. Even if it's a different timeline, there's no reason why he would magic blood in one but not the other. Everything that happened before he got unfrozen should still be basically the same.

The spoiler says "it is established early on..." but we don't know the context. Whether that character knows about that ability themselves isn't known for sure.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Some poo poo happens and then a random and nonsensical device is used to resolve a portion of the plot.

How is it "random"? Khan is a superhuman. If it had been McCoy's blood that would be random and nonsensical. But there is a reason why it works. It's not inherently flawed, it's not random, it's not nonsensical.

Are you a genetic superhuman expert posting from the future or something? Cause you're violating the poo poo out of the Temporal Prime Directive.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Problem x? Fling yourself around a star and go back in time whenever you want.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Where are the blood police? At the blood donut shop?

Rear Admiral Bennett doesn't find your cop jokes so amusing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point of the bungled mission in the opening scene, after all, is that the original Star Trek was kinda racist. Kirk is chastised for 'playing God', but the implicit point is that the federation actually does see itself as God to 'lower people'. The question raised by the prime directive is this: what is so toxic that contact with other people must be so carefully avoided? Why are the Star Trekkers trying desperately to preserve some paganist 'harmony with nature' nonsense? The opposition between pure harmony and catastrophic disruption forecloses a third possibility: beneficial disruption. Why not approach those people as brothers, instead of as children?

The Prime Directive was created because humanity has the hubris to think its particular timeline is the correct timeline and all other species must bow to this particular arrangement of events. Humanity didn't make official contact with aliens until Zephram Cochrane's warp flight, so the ONLY POSSIBLE way for any species to enter into the interstellar community is through that path. Anything else might risk that species not being totally in lock step agreement with the Federation.

Warp drive or go gently caress yourselves, weirdos.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm intrigued by the idea of having a Trek movie set mostly on a planet and not a starship, but it does give me horrible flashbacks of Insurrection.

Also I don't think Star Trek is "answering" back to Star Wars in any sense. That's kind of an old model, back when they were the only games in town. Right now Hollywood producers have no loving idea why any one particular film or series is successful so they're just throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping it all looks good when you make a trailer out of it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Positivity infusion: I like the idea of "The Frontier pushes back" as a theme for the new film. It at least says they're exploring strange new worlds and stuff, which despite being the mantra of the franchise, has been sorely lacking of late.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

REVENGE has been the text and subtext of the last five Star Trek films. If that changes then Beyond is a winner by default.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Discussion of the nebulously defined concept of pacing should keep us plenty occupied until release date.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Considering they were busy writing the perfect series finale to TNG at the same time, I tend to excuse Generationns story flaws. Ron Moore is a talented writer but he he has to sleep like us ordinary people. Every plot point in Generations feels like it was written at 4 in the morning.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm not a fan of the TNG movies but watching them without seeing the show just sounds extremely bizarre to me. I don't know if Picard's vengeance against the Borg really carries much weight unless you've seen Best of Both Worlds, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The more badass the premise on paper, the worse the Star Trek movie.

The Enterprise journeys to the center of the galaxy and battles God? Captain Picard meets Kirk, revolts against the Federation, battles an evil version of himself at Romulus?

Meanwhile, 4/5 of the best Treks are about whales/Moby Dick allusions, the remaining 5th is about politics and Shakespeare.

A space station larger than the solar system is on a direct course for Earth, destroying everything in its path. Kirk and crew must journey into the heart of this ancient entity and discover its secrets.

[3 hours later]

ZzZzZzZzZzZzZ...

• Locked thread