Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

monster on a stick posted:

So another question:

It is too drat dangerous to keep him alive, and it would be immoral and illegal to execute him. Keeping him frozen until some time when the Federation is better prepared to reform him or otherwise handle him would seem the only option to them.

quote:

The Eugenics Wars happened in this universe too. Did Spock not have access to Wikipedia?

That wouldn't really be insight into how he thought, not the way that Kirk and Spock gained in Wrath. Old Spock knew that Khan was only defeated by his collapse into single-minded purpose, you can't really ascertain that from a history book that ends with "and then one day Khan and his men were never seen again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Alchenar posted:

That's literally the plot of The Undiscovered Country except Meyer produced a story that made sense and gave everyone actual motivations.

I still have yet to see an explanation of why peoples motivations don't make sense in STID that doesn't completely ignore what happened in ST09 and assume we're just back in TOS.

If the real head of future-Starfleet lost like half of his ships, thousands of soldiers and four class years of commissioning cadets in a single day, you bet he would get pretty nuts about protecting "our way of life" and start thinking drastic things.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DentArthurDent posted:

One thing that bothered me in the 09 film, and reared it's ugly head here again: Cadet Kirk as Captain. It seemed ridiculous that a cadet (under disciplinary investigation!) would instantly rise to the rank of Captain, even if it was all a PR stunt. Sure, he helped save the Earth, but if the JJ-verse is anything like the original Trek universe, then someone is saving the Earth every couple of weeks...

I understand that thematically they felt they had to end the film with "Captain" Kirk in the big chair, rather than Lieutenant Kirk or something similar, but like a lot of things in these two movies it starts to fall apart if you think about it too much.

Then, in the new film, we have Kirk being removed as Captain of the Enterprise...and told he is going back to the academy! So are we supposed to believe he has still been a cadet all this time, even while Captain of the Enterprise? Then five minutes later he is Commander Kirk and back on active duty (and an Admiral turns into a Captain)...and five minutes after that he is Captain Kirk again! Sure, a few senior officers died in the attack on Starfleet headquarters, but there must be hundreds (thousands?) of experienced Commanders, Lieutenant Commanders, Lieutenants, etc. in the fleet who would be better suited for those positions. Heck, why is Spock not put in command?

Starfleet lost like 80% or more of the Starfleet Academy cadets and instructors in ST09, along with hundreds of other officers and thousands of enlisted, so no, it is perfectly sound for Kirk to have been granted the rank at the end of ST09 just on the basis of him having demonstrated aptitude for the job and a severe lack of both current officers and no fresh blood to replace the ones they just lost. Officers and enlisted men in real wars have received promotions over radio transmissions without so much as a question of whether they were even prepared for the extra responsibilities.

Also, there is nothing wrong with Pike being given the Enterprise - as the flagship of Starfleet, it would make sense for a Rear Admiral to be given command over it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ChronoReverse posted:

Plus this universe isn't the same as the original.

No, it is the same with the exception of everything that was affected by Nero and Spock going back in time.

This Khan is exactly the same as the Khan awakened at the start of Space Seed, with the exception of his early re-awakening by Marcus, the separation from his crew and his replaced identity.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Febreeze posted:

The Redlettermedia guys are perfectly capable of doing good work when they intend to.

Which, eh, is pretty much never.

Mike is one of the very few professional film critics who I take seriously, and I'm not going to say he is wrong about STID or looking at it from the wrong angle. But I don't know that he gave the things that STID did right enough credit. Jay loves indie stuff a lot more than I can stomach, and I don't always trust him to look at the big picture and not get hung up too positively or negatively on little things like the director choice.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 24, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

1st AD posted:

I don't place their opinion very highly, even if they did happen to like a film that I liked.

One of their biggest missteps was a review of the movie Cop Dog. They really really went full sperg and nitpicked the hell out of that film's plot. A film that is ostensibly a child's film for children and families. This is why I really can't take their reviews seriously, because they kind of miss the forest for the trees.

Haha, what? You're mad Mike nitpicked loving Cop Dog? The stinker with 3/10 on IMDB?

They can't make fun of awful movies just for fun, or as a critical exercise in seeing where movies go wrong?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

nelson posted:

If anyone is interested in old series trek, the first episode of a new web series comes out tonight, midnight (not sure which time zone) at startrekcontinues.com

I saw an advanced screening and it's so much like TOS that its almost comical. They basically rebuilt the original set. The acting is of similar quality as well.

Fake-Kirk sounds like a fourteen year old kid trying to make sure his parents don't hear him talking. I don't know if I can stomach much of him. :(

I mean come on, he isn't that hard to do. Jim Carrey comes awfully drat close and he isn't even doing it seriously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H0_pK4gZ-0

MrBims fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 25, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Yes it's a bit odd they had to make them look the same as the TOS cast when they literally are supposed to be the TOS cast but younger. A bit odd...

I'm all for ethnical distribution in movies reflecting real life or at least having some sense of fairness, but I don't think "keep established characters the race they were" is a particularly controversial position regardless of the races involved.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Count Chocula posted:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-5-most-insulting-defenses-nerd-racism/

It is, because the race/appearance of the character often doesn't matter. Especially when white is seen as 'the default'.

Race and appearance does matter when we're talking about characters in sequels and prequels, etc. You don't cast Kirk as white in one movie and then black in the next, just as an author won't write a character as white in one book and black in the next. Don't give me a Cracked link, give me an actual argument.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Count Chocula posted:

They did that in the first four Batman movies. Harvey Dent was black in Batman Returns and white in Batman Forever (when he got a larger role). And 'canon' (which is bullshit nitpickery aside), more than 40 years have passed between TOS and the new movies. They exist in utterly different contexts. What was progressive then might not be so now. Why not a black Spock? Why do we still have Chekov's joke-accent?

An example of one of the worst movies of all time (ok, not really, but it's a stinker) doing it isn't evidence that it is something movies should do. Something like 99.999% of other established franchises keep to the rule, Batman Forever and STID are the outliers here. You're going to have to come up with something better than Batman Forever as a reason why it should change.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

monster on a stick posted:

Then how did they defrost Kirk?

Because it happened later and with facilities and personnel available on earth who could reproduce the procedure.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tony Montana posted:

Hey SuperMechagodzilla, you called me out before about this film. Have you watched the above review? I've read some great threads and posts by you, man, but are you actually defending this film? What is your take on the review I've linked?

I agree with RLM (well, Mike) usually, and STID isn't an exception. But I still like the film and can defend why I like it. Is that supposed to not be possible?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, go for it. I'm listening.

Because it appealed to everything I was looking for in a ST09 successor and had a pace that kept me occupied and guessing. The story can't hold up to scrutiny, but the interactions of the characters drove the narrative forward where the story could not, with an engaging setting made through top notch video and audio work that was enhanced by the performances of the actors I was interested in (Greenwood, Pine, Quinto, Urban, Pegg, Cumberpatch).

Is that sufficient, or do I have to spend hours of taping and editing together a video to refute another video in order to make my point that liking it is legitimate and not some attempt at trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tony Montana posted:

Go and watch the RLM review, I really don't see how I could say it any better than they already have.

You quoted me saying that I agree with Mike, yet I still like the movie. You don't agree with my reasons for that, ok, but why go back to that review instead of just conceding that a movie can appeal or not appeal to different people based on their tastes and priorities?

• Locked thread