Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
After watching JJ Trek I must confess, the only things I liked were the new actors for Kirk, Bones, and Pike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
So I was checking Memory Alpha for ole Khan, and apparently he ruled relatively bloodless and waged no expansionist wars, refuting Spocks accusation of him being a mass murderer.

Interestingly there were also 84 pods mentioned in the original show, but 12 failed.

Now apart from the fact I found the movie a mess, what the hell is up with Simon Pegg? He sounds like a caricature of a caricature of a Scot.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

He's not Scottish and is doing an accent, so that's what's up.

He's English he should know better than to sound like that. James Doohan was Canadian and wasn't this annoying.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
According to various Trek shenanigans Vulcans are the strongest, while Klingons are apparently very difficult to kill.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Things they can use:

1) Klingons
2) Romulans
3) Cardassians
4) M5

Daystroms revolutionary computer goes mad, and we must stop him!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They didn't like it or: Star Trek - Going Through The Motions.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's this big reveal made out of Cumberbatch saying his name's Khan, but falls completely flat because a) nobody reacts to it, b) it serves no plot point, and c) it's absolutely useless without knowing the original movies/series.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Quite frankly, if a character is supposed to be from a certain region, I expect him to look like people in said region.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And that is all thanks to the lovely writing presented to us in this movie.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

MisterBibs posted:

The point I was trying to assert was that Khan's character, and how that character is presented to the audience in WoK, is one of ethnic neutrality, for lack of a better term.

Except WOK is neither the first nor the only appearance of the character.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nessus posted:

You know, if you wanted to develop it you could credibly argue that Cumberbatch hosed up by being all Sherlock instead of... acting like Khan? Unlike Spock or Kirk, there is no difference in Khan's background, and it seems likely his temporary employment would not substantially impact the personality of that kind of a guy.

Of course it's quite likely that Khan behaved in a similar style (if one informed by the style and tastes of a show produced nearly fifty years ago) so, if so, fair enough then.

If we just talk about the portrayal, then yes, he didn't do Khan.
There was no pride, arrogance, or apparent superiority in his behaviour. I also found that while he showed a certain intensity, he lacked passion.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know they'll never take this angle because movies still require "good guys," but it'd be amazing if this schism is what 'caused' the mirror universe (yes, I know it existed in 'Enterprise'), and *does* lead to a more militarized version of Starfleet full of other Admiral Robocop-style xenophobes.

I am sorry to tell you but they showed the split already in the Enterprise tv show, and it was basically people shooting the Vulcans after they landed on Earth the first time.

The show is still canon in JJTrek's timeline, confirmed by the model in Robocops office.

Riso fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 26, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The reason the Khan in WOK is different than the series is because after playing Fantasy Island for so long, Montalban had real problems playing someone else. He had to watch the show again and rediscover the character.

Can you really call it a retcon when it was not the intent?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I wouldn't have bothered putting the same characters in and created an entirely new crew instead.
If you make a good action movie people will want to see it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just want to say TMP's Director's Cut is amazing. They took the original production work they couldn't do because of money and time constraints and put it into the movie.

• Locked thread