Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I can imagine that people working on this movie were just super pumped to get Benedict Cumberbatch when Benicio Del Toro dropped out, since he's pretty hot right now. But now they are going to have to address why Khan looks pale and skinny, and change the movie accordingly. The 2009 Star Trek movie explicitly planted itself in the universe already established. I guess that really should've made them scratch their heads.

2/3rds of this movie's writers are terrible so I wouldn't count on much consistency, so unless Lindelof is the second coming for genre writers this movie is not going to be strong on plot and previously established continuity.

Edit: Am dumb can't spell.

Plump and Ready fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

Dolphin posted:

Ricardo Montalban was a Mexican of Spanish descent--so his race (race is a scientifically meaningless term except as a cultural phenomenon) was basically white. He spoke with a Latin American accent and his skin was tan at the time and he was cast as an Indian character.

Now think about that for a second... a Mexican of Western European ancestry was used as a placeholder for an Indian. And you're upset that Khan is being played by Benedict Cumberbatch? Would it make you happier if Bennedict Cumberbatch developed a dark tan and acted like an Indian man instead of a British one? Minorities are way underrepresented in cinema, but in this case the "non-white" character was completely racially ambiguous in the first place and the actor was basically a white dude. Would it have been better to cast a minority instead? I don't know, I'm not the casting director, maybe there wasn't a good candidate.

I understand what you're saying and I agree that minorities are underrepresented in cinema, but don't go around assuming that anyone who disagrees with you is just a racist white man because that undermines your credibility.

I am an Afghan, by most I am considered a racial minority but on any form I am defined as being Caucasian, or an Aryan. In no way does this make me white to anyone including myself; racial identity is a strange and mysterious thing that I feel is super poorly and ill defined.

Also Khan is definitely an Indian racially, Space Seed defines him as such very clearly, it is also super cool that a man from India is a superhuman and controls one of the largest Empires in the history of earth and also was not a total oval office about the whole thing.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

Hrithik Roshan even looks like a young Montalban:

Unfortunately he is a terrible actor just like most of Bollywood actors, but there are good actors who are in and come from India, they just need to find them. Unfortunately they don't all speak english so they would have to go the phonetic route but whatever it could be done.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
Also as popular as Bollywood movies and the stars in them are the movies make poo poo money.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

lizardman posted:

"I've been dead before"

Star Trek: The Search for Old Spock

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
Clearly they are taking the Submarine aspect of Star Trek to its logical end.

edit: Nick Meyer and the person who wrote Balance of Terror must be really pumped about this.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

Some Other Guy posted:

Maybe in the next movie they could trek to the Bajor system and try to link up with The Sisko who can help them put the timeline straight and get things back to canon.

Oh man Sisko would be great in these movies, just yelling at people all the time about his brand of Starfleet ethics.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
If I was a hack I would just look up some people that have turned into gods in mythology. Find a decent sounding name and bam, Gary changed his name to Garuda cause the federation are a bunch of snakes who must be killed or some bullshit like that.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

From the first 9 minutes that some people have already seen and reported on apparently the Enterprise is underwater because they're on a planet populated by a pre-warp race, and are going all Prime Directive on hiding their technology while studying them. So they're hiding the Enterprise under water. (This would also mean that the ship crashing into the water in the trailer either isn't the Enterprise, or the Enterprise then crashes into the ocean later in the film.) So in this case the Enterprise could represent knowledge or power, which is being kept from a primitive race because of the arrogance of the Federation. The primitive masses are being insulted because they're too oblivious to notice a spaceship when it's being hidden right under their noses, so they don't deserve the knowledge the Federation keeps to themselves.

Or something. I'm really bad at film theory. My point it it's possible. I'll have to see the movie to know more.

This is ridiculous you could have just as much depth in this scene by putting the ship somewhere in space, like behind the planets moon or some other solar body for instance. The way you described that scene just make it seem as if this whole ship rising from the water thing is done just because it looks cool. Thinking of this objectively as a simple sci-fi adventure film it seems shallow and poorly thought out.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

DocHorror posted:

I disagree. Okay it looked nice. But with modern special effects I'd expect nothing less. I just feel that they dont make films like they used to & that it too easy to be hyper kinetic rather than restrained.

The problem with the 2009 movie isn't JJ's direction which, aside from some of his lighting choices, is great: but it's the writers. Seriously Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have yet to write a script that I have enjoyed it seems like they got really lucky in paring up with two talented directors over the course of their careers who could shoot the hell out of movies so their writing almost never gets called into question. JJ Abrams can shoot really exciting emotionally investing scenes the real reason its never very engaging is because you don't actually ever care about the characters your just sucked into good visuals.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

penismightier posted:

Nah it was a really good script and I got way invested in those characters. :shrug:

Alright I don't really have the time to watch the whole movie again and go through point by point but here is a basic example of the things I remember, and what is probably the most memorable sequence in the movie: the opening. The films opening sequence is an extremely convenient bit of visual and character short hand it tells you through the actions of the father who the son will be; that is bullshit for the movies main character mostly because it gives the movie an excuse to not have a character grow. They took the easy way out of building a character instead of making Kirk a xenophobe who is out for revenge for the loss of his father, who could have learned aliens are ok too and revenge is a lovely life plan. Instead he's just a cool dude who needs to join starfleet so he can be exactly the same ornery and horny rear end in a top hat he was before joining starfleet. The movie relies to much on using elements that already exist in other trek stuff to build their characters and to, on occasion, try to surprise you by doing something kind of different. The movie's story is just one convenient thing after another to get you your character moments and in one pretty extreme case, spock ejecting kirk onto the ice planet, a plot point.

Kirk is rebellious and has issues with authority figures, he is also good with the ladies, as well as being a tactical genius he is pretty much adult TV show Kirk because its easy to do.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

He's really not though, well he is, but he is a younger version. He is not as mature yet. In fact there's been implications that Kirk continues to grow as a character in Into Darkness, and we'll see him become more like Kirk in TOS. I like that Abrams is going this route, personally. Kirk is seriously the least of the films problems in my opinion, I don't even think he is a problem. If any of the characters in Trek'09 sucked, it was the villain, who thankfully won't be coming back. Hopefully the bad guy in Into Darkness is much better.

To be clear the reason I single out the Kirk stuff is because it's easy to call him the films main character but no one in the movie actually feels like a person; Bones is tired old doctor, Spocks is vulcan/human, Kirk is Kirk. They have labels which make them easy to identify but no real complexity that helps me really get into a movie.

Edit: also Nero is angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
So I just saw this pretty fresh and I don’t understand why everyone keeps saying the pacing is so breakneck, or even why that would be a good thing, since the movie stops like three or four times to deliver a bunch of exposition. This is especially frustrating as JJ is a very visual and kinetic direct but he breaks up tense sequences so people can stop and chat, and the movie goes full stop for no reason while this happens, its very frustrating.

Secondly while the space action was fun if at times a little stupid, the physical action sequences on the ground were both very poorly edited and choreographed. This doesn't really spoil the movie but incase you want to go in blind. There is a shootout sequence where one of the characters, the focus of the scene, doesn't move for like two minutes. His opponents don’t really react in any other way than putting themselves directly in the line of fire and dying. There’s also a foot chase that is shot very flat and the editing just pulls the energy out of the sequence. Two characters just run in a straight line then jump onto a ship to punch each other, but the only real action prior to the punching is some running, and that’s it. Really the way two action sequences are edited make you lose track of where people are and what’s happening, with one sequence having people sporadically be inside a building then out and another showing you people facing to disparate planes in the same place at the same time.
Aside from this I felt the acting was generally fine but the only character that had any sort of development just had it happen all at once. The film was also plagued by huge gaping plot holes that got harder to wave away as they stacked onto each other. It also relies on a lot of foreknowledge of Star Trek as well so much so that my friends were completely confused about the villain.

Now with that out of the way this movie made me loving angry as well and I don’t understand why I seem to be the only person who upset. The villain in the movie is Khan, and he’s a loving white guy. I don’t care that he is a terrorist analogue, a poorly characterized one nonetheless, Khan is a Sikh Indian. He is an intelligent capable brown male and it is pathetic that he’s just white now. The movie even fails to explain who Khan is to the audience, that became my job after the showing. I cant even begin to describe the amount of contempt I feel at pretty much everyone who loves this movie because of this fact. This movie is being rated highly by most reviewers and everyone seems to have lost their drat minds. The filmmakers just decide to make Khan white distorting his ethnicity and killing the idea of Khan in the process. That idea being: brown people are just as good as white people, some can even be better. The last airbender got rightfully criticized and hosed over for its appalling insensitivity but this movie will make a billion loving dollars.

gently caress this abhorrent piece of trash. I’m so happy I didn’t pay to see this.

• Locked thread