Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are the major differences between the 2 trek universes now?
- Kirk is a Captain way earlier
- Vulcan is destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MadScientistWorking posted:

If the comics are canon:

-Kirk's brother is still alive
-Spock is borderline suicidal
-Tribbles overran Starfleet
-Romulans have access to red matter
-Vulcans tried to wipe out the Romulans
-Spock's father tried to blow up Romulus
-Mirror universe Kirk steals the Narrada because the Klingons had no clue how to use it

So enough has happened differently where basically anything could happen going forward.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but they don't even have to worry about continuity, even if they started out worrying about it, because everything is so different now. I think it is neat because it creates a new universe where we don't know what is going to happen and at the same time there is a whole layer of "how this is different from TOS" to sperg about (positive sperging.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What didn't you like about the new Spock for example? I though he was done well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just saw this and I was super happy that the effort I made to not be spoiled paid off. The Khan reveal was amazing. Also, the difference between Kirk's KHAAAAAN and Spock's KHAAAAN was poignant I think in that Spock's was genuine rage.

I can't even engage in this "whitewashing" argument as Montalbán was white, or of European decent, as far as I can tell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are people of European decent or "white" in Mexico.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I dont know why we are viewing this through a hyper focused US political spectrum. Even in the US it is arguable whether white people from Spanish speaking countries are "white" and changes on the context.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Probably because we're talking about the racial politics of casting in an American television show, American movie franchise, and American sci-fi franchise. This is like saying "Well, Uhura being on the bridge in TOS isn't a big deal, why are we looking at this through a hyper focused US political spectrum." The context matters.

As a Hispanic person in the United States, I've found that I'm usually going to be considered a person of color up until the point where being white (by which we mean what, exactly? Peninsular? Criollo? Castizo? Is it "not looking Hispanic"? If so, what does that even mean?) will give a white person a leg to stand on in an argument, for what that's worth.

Have we seriously gone from "the smoking nacelle" to "Schrodinger's racialized Hispanic identity" as a defense of whitewashing Khan? Even if Montalbán was "white" in the American racial context (he wasn't), that's still whitewashing, and shouldn't be done in 2013.

Here, this is a pretty good rundown on the basics:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/what-we-mean-when-we-say-race-is-a-social-construct/275872/

I understand what you are saying. And I guess I can see in that, in the US at least, a British accent is favored over a Spanish accent, and casting Cumberpatch over whatever the modern equivalent of Montalban is somewhat of a "whitewash."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cumberpatch isn't American though, like Montalban was not from the USA, which was my point. I agree a white person with a Spanish accent is not as favored in America as a white person with a British or English accent. So while it is "whitewashing" I think it is pretty minor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

Forget it, it was a good sci fi movie.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 26, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is also that whole kill all the genetically inferior humans thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The way I was counting it in my head watching while watching the movie:
1. Bombing London: ambiguous given the military nature of the target.
2. San Francisco attack: same
3. Killing a bunch of Klingons: Ambiguous. It was maybe in self defense, but the humans were the aggressors there.
Up to this point, in my head Khan's evilness is up in the air, especially when he agrees to help Kirk.
4. Takes over bridge of the Vengeance: Ambiguous again, as it was KIrk who "shot first", but he does go a little overboard with the head smushing and knee breaking. The needle is pointing towards evil. I think at this point future Spock also gives us his caveat re Khan and it is discussed how he is planning to genocide genetically inferior humans.
5. Opens fire on Enterprise: Again! ambiguous as it was likely the Enterprise was out to get him, which turned out to be true. (although he was giving off many SMG's tics here)
6. Crashes into San Francisco: The most evil of his acts, at the end of the movie.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 26, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie says like five times if they stayed there much longer the Klingons would have found them eventually.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exactly. Lost didn't answer all the mysteries I wanted answered and I didn't understand Prometheus, so therefore anything done by Lindelof is a priori bad .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kirk's mission into the Klingon homeworld to capture Khan (Or Harrison at that time) had delightful resonance with the US's mission into Pakistan to "capture" Osama Bin Laden. Was it an "Act of War"? Arguable these days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn't the whole point that Earth wasn't actually at war with the Klingons. I might be missing something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought Kirk punching Khan over and over was a nice, blunt way of showing the impotence of Kirk's anger.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe the center of the sun is 0,0,0 and then you add in a time as well?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scotty says in the first 5 minutes of the film that the film makes no sense. You should probably believe him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

Nevermind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My wife has never seen any non Abrams move Trek and grasped the character of Khan quite well so I think it probably worked well without knowing the references.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, no one is arguing looks are what mattered, least of all me, so you've completely misunderstood my argument. My argument is because actors of color face curtailed opportunities in a systemically racist Hollywood institution, the gains we've made through playing on the page roles of color should not be eroded or erased in terms of representation and/or opportunity. It's also not about nationality, it's about race (which, along with the systemic issues marginalizing people of color broadly, is why Uhura being played by a black Dominican-Puerto Rican instead of an African-American isn't the same issue as whitewashing Khan). It's not actually a different debate, because films don't exist independent of context (like the rest of Hollywood, for instance).

This probably doesn't matter to most Star Trek fans or most white people, because representation and opportunity for white actors isn't really obstructed at all and it's fairly minor in the cosmic scale of racial issues. But

This is where you are losing me because Montalban was of Spanish decent, ie "white" if you ignore the nationality aspects of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I am trying to square all of what you wrote together. If Montalblan was born in Florida, he would be white. Since he was born in Meixco is not. How is that not then all based on nationalism.

(holding in mind you wrote "It's also not about nationality, it's about race")

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People from Spain aren't white?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would consider a person of white Spanish decent who lived in Florida or Pennsylvania to be a white Hispanic. I think the US government does too. The 2010 US census says that 26.7 million Hispanics consider themselves white. . . so. . . That is the understanding I have of the issue. I am going to guess white people who live in Spain probably consider themselves to be white as well.

I do not see how "Hispanic" or "Latino" informs at all about race, which is why I asked you about your statement where you said "It's also not about nationality, it's about race".

VVV Possibly but I am just trying to understand the arguments and distinctions being made.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 7, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That made sense, thanks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hopefully the next Trek (is JJ doing it?) will be in "foreign" space most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Patriot Act et al lead to an increased militarization of police in the US. Further there was a cultural militarization as the entire nation "went to war." I think the US is still at war, who knows.

• Locked thread