Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Sally Kellerman vs. Alice Eve.

Different eye colours.

My immersion. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I like Star Trek but hate JJA and Lindelof, but this movie sounds like it just might not have the mandatory horrible plotting, so I've gone from a definite no to a "possibly".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

This teaser trailer makes it look like yet another really generic Action Extravaganza With Sci-Fi Elements, But Don't Worry, No Spaceships, So Don't Worry About Feeling Nerdy If You See It In Theaters. It could have promise but there's really not a single element in that trailer worth getting excited about, unlike say the first Prometheus trailer which had a lot of cool poo poo.
I was just waiting for the Nolan "BRRRT" honks to kick in, when I watched the trailer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You have to take what you can get from older progressives. The man who created Wonder Woman also espoused a belief where submission (female as male) was paramount to peace and solidarity. Perhaps hence The Lasso of Truth.

Roddenberry was obviously a loathsome philanderer, and we have to reconcile that with what he wanted to do with Star Trek. I don't know how much it helps to write a verdict saying the show is either unequivocally progressive or not.

I can only believe that the show's influence has been positive, and that's what counts.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

At the risk of being a total sperg, I will point out that spaceships in Star Trek have, in fact, traveled around underwater:

Although it's from Voyager, where they didn't give a gently caress.
ENT, too where they intended to give up Bakula to get executed or some such. It was a one-way ticket, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there are very specific datetime for the release just like Superman, or is it just something like "evening in the US"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I don't know any Swedish, so it's hard for me to tell exactly what he's saying there, but yeah.

Trying to think of different villains that he could be playing is fun, but honestly, I'd be happy if he was playing someone we've never seen before too. Yeah, it's s Star Trek movie, but that doesn't mean it has to be something we've already watched.
"behövde" means, basically, "needed", which is an important distinction. Similar to "besoin" in French. In other words it's probably a character with no backlog of information.

• Locked thread