Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure a bizarro supernatural godlike character is the right way to go with star trek at this point. Then again, I didn't think the first movie was really good either, sooo...

I'm pretty sure there were at least twenty bizarre supernatural godlike characters in just the original series. To say nothing of TNG or DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Man, Deep Space Nine ruled.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Hewlett posted:

How horrible would a 'Walking Dead in Space' show be?

The Walking Dead's problems have more to do with execution than the basic premise, so either way really.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Professor Clumsy posted:

What's wrong with rocket boots?

Absolutely Nothing.

The 10 minute teaser in front of the Hobbit was fantastic and reminded me of what made the original Star Trek great in the first place. It definitely made me want to re-watch the first movie now.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

something something lens flare something something YOU DONT BUILD STARSHIPS IN IOWA

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's far more plausible for an engine room to look almost-exactly like a brewery than for an alien creature to look almost-exactly like a human being. Blammo!

:golfclap:

Realism trumps Style, every single time :smug:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

There is an in universe explanation for this.

Yeah, and both of those episodes were really dumb.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the other one?

Return to Tomorrow, from the Original Series. Although that episode was a lot better than The Chase.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Most of the humor in Star Trek tends to be verbal, or in subtle gestures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQA-06kSLU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

God, everything about the design of TOS ruled.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Great_Gerbil posted:

We also meet a young lady smuggler named... Mudd.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I'm appalled by the lack of BSG mentions in this thread when it comes to decently written women in Scifi.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Showing a white guy, even if he's an alien, in a romantic relationship with a black woman is pretty progressive for Hollywood.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

penismightier posted:

The Punch-Out!! uppercut yields a cleaner flip, but there's more élan to the Khan golf swing punch.

I think this is the first time I've heard élan to describe something about Star Trek.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Holy poo poo, Into Darkness is a movie version of an insane TOS episode

I'm pumped as hell.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Having just gotten out, I guess that I liked it. The pacing was haphazard as all get out, and the movie just sort of ends with no real resolution, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Snak posted:

I think that Khan just knows a dangerous opponent when he sees one and wanted to get rid of Kirk and his ship before while he had the chance. You can handwave him beaming kirk and friends back to the enterprise by the fact that it was just convenient to do, coordinants already in the transporter etc and then he wouldn't have to crush their heads individually. Incidentally, Khan crushing Admiral Marcus's head off-camera is conveyed amazingly by the other character's reactions to it. Carol's scream, coupled with Kirks head tilting "holy loving poo poo did that just happen" look are very effective. To be honest, the thing that bugs me the most in the entire film (not necessarily the biggest flaw) is that when Khan reveals his identity he just says "My name is Khan" and it's all super dramatic. It's nice that Kirk doesn't recognize the name or give a poo poo, but why does he only give his first name? It almost feels like they just thought "the audience knows who Khan is, we'll just call him that". I really expected him to say "my name is Khan Noonien Singh". Longer names naturally make for a more dramatic delivery, and Cumberbatch just saying "Khan" felt really odd.

Khan saying his first name is a moment that is more important to the audience than to the characters, which is why it was written that particular way.

• Locked thread