Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Goreld posted:

The choice was intentional. They (ILM crew) mentioned it at a SIGGRAPH panel on the movie; apparently everyone working on the film, including Abrams, knew about lots of really obscure Trek stuff.

Also, the panel began with a clip of the Gorn fight, which was great.

So, for folks who aren't in the know, what's the deal with Shatner and Sabotage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

qntm posted:

Imagine a sonic boom but literally a million times more destructive?

Not to mention the radiation given off by the red/blue shifting of particles as the ship warps out, irradiating an entire hemisphere. Or the likelihood of the atmosphere basically combusting...

Warping in atmo = crossing the streams.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Even though we can technosperg about why atmo-warps are stupid dangerous/will kill everyone, all of that is just fluff to raise the stakes (much like comparing it to Ghostbusters' crossing the streams). I'd be completely OK with them actually doing it in the movie because it would be pretty tense and a good way to up the drama or whatever.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Blood Donuts? A Klingon delicacy!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The next movie had better have Karl Urban's McCoy chilling in his quarters smoking space weed and listening to dubstep.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Having been a trek fan practically since birth (my mom is a superfan) I've seen all the shows, the movies, a ton of the books, etc.

I thought STID was great. There are some flaws but I think my opinion can mostly be summed up as: what it did right makes it one of the best trek movies ever made. What it did wrong still puts it miles ahead of other trek movies.

I thought someone a few pages ago put it best when they said that these are the same characters, same motivations, but because of the timeline split the situations are just different, and so some of the reversals are really well handled in that light.

Edit: all the nitpicky points that have been batted back and forth are no better or worse than stuff in old trek. Honestly, how dumb was it to have McCoy carrying a backup of Spock's mind in his head in ST3 vs Khan's magical blood in STID?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My point is that all film is (and should be) criticised, but the specific crap being picked on in this thread takes on more of a tone of "this trek is not my trek so it's the worst thing ever" when in reality, this was a perfectly fine film, and an excellent entry into the Star Trek film series.

poo poo, nobody seems to have issues with Scotty's annoying sidekick having literally no reason to exist in the narrative of ST09 and this film, but they want to hammer repeatedly on Spock said Kirk's line!!! The audience knows kirk will live! This film is trash! in WoK the audience also has plenty of information that characters do not. And in WoK, the plot was arguably worse, the action was good for its time, and of course the noted dramatic stylings of "well respected acting talent" Will Shatner (tm).

I just think folks are either looking at the old stuff with rose tinted glasses, or not giving the new stuff credit for (if not being better) not being worse than the old stuff.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

TNG Worf almost certainly.

DS9 Worf: Hell no.

I don't remember ever seeing/hearing anything about Klingons being naturally stronger than Humans, only that they have extra bone as natural armor (head, ribcage) and multiple redundant organs. So even if they aren't way stronger, they're a lot tougher and capable of enduring injury that would kill a Human or Vulcan.

In a "who would win?" Scenario, I'd say flip a coin really.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, wouldn't the fleet be positioned for war to break out with the Klingons?

Yep. Admiral Robocop would have assumed all was going according to plan right up until Scotty disabled his ship. Having whatever elements of the fleet positioned to take maximum advantage of their pre-emptive strike, with the Vengeance as flagship/tying up loose ends.

Of course his plan then goes all to poo poo, and maybe the fleet was right behind (but traveling slower or w/e) at the speed of plot, and arrive just in time to see the ship crash.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What is Star Trek?

What is Star Trek 'about'?

It's Wagontrain to the stars. Bonanza in space. Kirk is canadian John Wayne.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cingulate posted:

I'd like to see EVERY director's take on this. ST13: A movie of vignettes, everyone with a famous or not so famous director (including of course Michael Bay) reimaging Darmok in their own style.

Bay's version would probably look like Rush Hour in space.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm all for more examination of the racial context of Cumberbatch's casting versus more nitpicking about trivia.

I think this might be my favorite Star Trek film ever, but I'm pretty firmly in the ' gently caress whitewashing' camp here.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cingulate posted:

Hey, can anybody link me to/tell me what the "Smoking Nacelle" thing refers to? I can't find it.

As I understand it, the smoking nacelle is just a cute way to refer to arguments about "canon" wrt what has happened previously in shows/movies, and how arguments from that area have been used to justify whitewashing (in this instance) but also to just plain nitpick for reasons why Abram's movies are sub-par Star Trek (it's all tits and explosions, etc.)

See also: Not MY Trek

Edit: the literal reference is to how the nacelles on the new enterprise are "wrong" and how the design of the Kelvin in ST09 with its single nacelle is "wrong"

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nessus posted:

Poppycock! The original Star Wars Technical Manual clearly showed several classes of starship with only one nacelle.

Exactly, but Warszawa put it better than I could just above.

• Locked thread