Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

computer parts posted:

If it can escape a black hole (mostly) undamaged I think a little water would be okay.

Don't be ridiculous, spaceships can't go in water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
At the risk of being a total sperg, I will point out that spaceships in Star Trek have, in fact, traveled around underwater:

Although it's from Voyager, where they didn't give a gently caress.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
If you didn't like Insurrection, you really should watch the version with the full commentary by Frakes and Sirtis. It is hilarious, revealing, informative, and also really, really sweet because Frakes knows the name of almost every supporting actor in every scene, and has nothing but nice stuff to say about them and the crew.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That's a very good point, Korusan.

Also, Aatrek, what are those two shots? Why are they different? What are they from?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I finally saw this, and honestly it felt like someone made a movie out of all of the Star Trek parts of my brain, as well as the grad student in Classics parts. The way different elements of established Trek are incorporated, manipulate, and reinterpreted was extremely rewarding for someone who's been a Trek fan since age 5. Just a few things off the top of my head:

- The Vengeance assumes the roles of both the Excelsior from ST3 and the Reliant from ST2 (and Scotty sabotages it)

- Section 31

- The Prime Directive is handled much better than in Insurrection

- Admiral Robocop is basically Cartwright plus Leyton, incorporating ST6 and practically an entire season's worth of DS9 plots while continuing the proud Starfleet tradition of admirals who are total shitheads

- Also the social commentary of fear-based military-industrial complexes versus idealism of space exploration etc etc

- The Kirk/Spock death scene reversal was, in my opinion, an awesome way to engage with the original text film and demonstrate the depth of characters--we've already seen how Kirk handles Spock's death, now we get to see the reverse (wish they'd incorporated elements of Amok Time as well, but the film was, astonishingly, only 2 hours

- Khaaaaaaaaan

- It would have been awesome if Kirk actually had died permanently (rather than being mostly dead) because it would have given the character a death he deserved, an improvement over Generations

- Tribble

- Harry Mudd

- The Klingons are definitely Klingon, but not overused--I think they are set up well to be the focus of the next (and final?) film

This film made me feel like a 16 year old fanboy again. Taking into account the context of my personal Star Trek knowledge and my own tastes, I would put this in the top 3 (i.e. top 25%) of Trek films.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Presto posted:

This is probably some kind of heresy, but I really think this one is near the top.

I'd probably go:
1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. Into Darkness
4. Whales

Yeah, I agree. There's always got to be some accounting for taste, but really, which films can anyone argue are BETTER than these four?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Golden Bee posted:

Shame it came out the same weekend as Iron Man 3, that's got to hurt the bottom line.

I think you have your timelines mixed up. Iron Man 3 came out two weeks earlier. enough time for Kirk to die and be brought back to life

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Aatrek posted:

Yeah, it kind of bugged me that they were all "the Vengeance can't catch up to us at warp!" Yes it can, idiots, it just goes faster warp.

"If he tries to get away with warp drive, hah! He's really in for a shock."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

linoleum floors posted:

The difference is one deus ex machina was written after a character died in one movie so they could produce a new movie. khan's blood and kirk's "death" was a dumb gimmick that fooled nobody but the stupidest people and could have been left out of the movie entirely. Also opens the path to questions about why the gently caress isn't everyone on earth immortal now since they've found a cure for death.

This is absolutely consistent with every single Trek episode where a deus ex machina solution works perfectly in the episode where it is devised, and then is literally never mentioned again. And also, it's not really that different from the fact that in Trek they can cure cancer and a whole bunch of other things that are almost always fatal now--remember the TNG S1 finale, when they find the 1980s people frozen in cryostasis because they had terminal bone-itis, which is nothing more than the 24th century equivalent of a cold? It's really not that big a game-changer, it's just one more thing that maybe won't kill you any more, but probably will because let's face it, you don't get lucky they way Kirk does, in any sense of the expression.

Conversely, I felt many of the departures from established Trek tropes were hugely successful, including things like Uhura, the loving communications officer, can speak Klingon, which Nichelle Nichols specifically requested her character be able to do in Star Trek VI but got shot down-they sure fixed that 22 year old plot hole.

Also, I think someone else got it exactly right saying these characters are essentially the same as they were in TOS and the TOS films--they just take different actions because the situations are different. From a fan perspective, I find this to be the most appealing feature of the new films and new continuity, that we essentially get a bunch more TOS stories without worrying about contradicting the original episodes and films, as well as being able to incorporate DS9 and TNG storylines (and Enterprise, I guess...) but with the more iconic characters of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and Lt. Kyle.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 22, 2013

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think he was actually higher than that--he had four gold pips on his shoulderboards, making him an Admiral, whereas Marcus had five, suggesting he was a Fleet Admiral or Commander in Chief of Starfleet, or Commander-Starfleet, or whatever they want to call it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Great Enoch posted:

That being said, I think Cumberbatch was brilliant as Khan, and that the invisible whiteness of Khan was brilliantly written. If there was ever a people who considered themselves automatically and without any further comment racially superior and entitled to genocide, it's the English, and they've always accomplished it unacknowledged and with invisibility. STID's Khan was to my mind perfect in how his villainnous-ness was always implicit and normalised: there wasn't really any formal exposition scene detailing his criminality, for example and his interaction with Kirk is at times no more antagonistic than bickering bromance (the scene where they wait in the airlock). He even kills Kirk completely indirectly, unknowingly and with virtually no individual malice. Many people of colour can certainly attest to being familiar with that in their encounter with the English and their settler descendants. He's one of the best white villains I've ever seen. I even like the way he sees himself as the victim, which is certainly how white supremacy is working in the anglophone world right now.

This is a very good point that I think too few people have addressed. It is also tied into, for example, the reason why almost all the Imperial officers in Star Wars have English accents, or why Kirk Douglas played Spartacus with an American accent and Lawrence Olivier played Crassus with his English accent.

Also, in regards to whitewashing, I don't think I've seen anyone bring up this casting call from STID:

Memory Alpha posted:

On Thursday 2 February 2012 and Tuesday 7 February 2012, Headquarters Casting, owned by Carla Lewis, sought background talents for the Trek sequel. According to the casting note they were searching for "attractive / refined / upscale or exotic talent ages 35-55 who are well postured / athletic to thin. Men should be in good shape, ladies must not be overly busty or curvy. The wardrobe is fitted so we need performers who are in great shape and/or on the thin side. Seeking a wide array of different ethnicities for this group, including ethnically ambiguous talent. The work date(s) are TBD, but could be numerous depending on the scene you are selected for. Would require at least one wardrobe fitting. We are submitting additional photos and the photos MUST be current and representative of how you look NOW. Some of the spots that will be picture picked will be quite featured. This is background work and we are seeking both SAG & Non-Union talent. It's possible that non-union performers may need to work SAG (depending on the work day(s) they are ultimately fit for and the number of performers working that day.)". The open call was held at 3108 W. Magnolia Blvd., Burbank, California 91505.

Leaving body type issues aside (don't forget, Chekov's replacement at navigator is a rather solidly built black woman with a shaved head), it is interesting to note that the director, or at least the casting director, specifically wanted the world of Star Trek to be diverse, and even specified actors who could not easily be identified as one ethnicity or another.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Alchenar posted:

No, the main villain will have a torpedo that sends out a wave that can wipe out all life on a planet. Marcus will study a captured torpedo and say something like "well with a few modifications you could program this technology to create life instead of destroy it... nah it probably wouldn't be stable".

Actually, I think you have the seeds of a great idea there:

After traveling around for 3 years of their 5-year mission, during which Kirk & Co. have had a few of the adventures in TOS, as well as several completely different ones, they have come across a strange new world with new life and a new civilization (again). The next film will build on Abrams's (or his replacement's) world-building skills to demonstrate why this new life and its civilization is so wondrous and exciting and unique and worth exploring...and preserving. This would be a pre-warp but not "primitive" civilization, perhaps equivalent to 21st century earth but culturally/physiologically very different. Imagine some combination of Nibiru, Pandora (from Avatar) and Blade Runner Los Angeles, to name a few examples of what I think are compelling science fiction settings. Then we learn that they are close to developing a technology which Spock and Dr. Marcus quickly figure out will stand a serious chance of ending all life on this planet.

So the Enterprise has to make first contact with this species despite not having originally planned to do so, which means we get another take on the TNG episode "First Contact" (one of my favorites) as well as something like The Day the Earth Stood Still but from the POV of the friendly, advanced aliens (i.e. the Federation). Do we identify more with the Enterprise crew, or with the aliens they are contacting?

Or alternatively, the Klingons and/or Romulans have a torpedo that will wipe out all life on the planet and they want to use it to settle this planet to use as a strategic operations base to fight the other power, and in the interests of preserving this (well developed, sympathetic, beautiful) alien civilization, Captain Kirk has to play the Yojimbo/Man With No Name figure and pit both sides against each other without the aliens ever finding out...but they do, and then you get the first contact issues again. You could even have the Enterprise saucer section detach and land on the planet, so the humans become the aliens arriving in their flying saucer...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Honestly, in my view it's at least as bad because it's literally lumping everyone who is not white into a "non-white" group, further perpetuating the false and racist "white/nonwhite" dichotomy. Now I realize that such a dichotomy is very real in many places (USA, France) but there is no reason a movie, whose world a good director/writer/producer/cinematographer/casting director/etc. should be able to control completely, needs to reflect the harsh realities of modern society, ESPECIALLY when it is a science fiction film. Brecht said that art is not a mirror to reflect society, but rather a hammer with which to shape it--cross-casting a brown person as another kind of brown person is an instance of beating society further into the ground, not building it up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
(edit: RE Mr. Stefan)

Ticket sales. Cumberbatch is very popular with fans of Sherlock, who are also fans of Doctor Who, who are also fans of Firefly, etc--and many of whom did NOT like ST09. Getting him in the movie attracted a lot of people who may otherwise have refused to see the movie.

Of course, casting Shahrukh Khan, or Aamir Khan, or Salman Khan would have done a lot MORE to increase ticket sales in several other markets.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's interesting how people keep talking about Django as being immutably black:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(character)

He was originally white, before being Japanese, and is now African-American. The character was changed on the textual level, and recast in accordance with that textual change. SMG is arguing that Cumberbatch's casting is also a textual change, along with the name "John Harrison," and the deliberate assertion of his identity in the second brig scene.

Frankly, I think that the whitewashing is a product of a lack of thoughtfulness on the part of JJ Abrams/the casting director. Without recognizing the significance of the original character's race (or ethnicity, depending on how you read it) he went with an actor whom he believed to be capable of playing the role, and didn't mean to intentionally deny opportunities to actors of color--his prejudices and general lack of awareness of more apt casting options took care of that for him.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

penismightier posted:

Django Unchained's Django is not an adaptation of Franco Nero's character Django anymore than Pam Grier's Jackie Brown is an adaptation of Steven Keats's character Jackie Brown in The Friends of Eddie Coyle

I'm not sure that's true, honestly. I think he is a new take on an established character, who has a different backstory, but in some ways is very much supposed to be the same dude. After all, Franco Nero's character was played by a ton of different actors in movies that were only loosely connected to each other; at least Nero was IN Django Unchained.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Kirk and Spock are iconic characters and have been for almost 50 years. Carol Marcus can't compare, not even the original Bibi Besch incarnation.

I couldn't tell you the names of anyone from Knocked Up, which I have seen four times (twice more than STID), but that doesn't mean it's an inherently bad movie (the antifeminism of that movie is why it's bad).

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MizPiz posted:

Is there a chance Curzon Dax can make an appearence in the next mpvie, or any of them? Of all the already established characters in the series, he's easily the one that'll have the smoothest transition to the new series. Plus, I'm sure the interactions between him and Kirk would just be :allears:

That would be cool. The Trill offer an interesting storytelling possibility, though in my opinion one that is best played out over a series of episodes rather than a single film.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

The Dax running around during TOS was Emony. She met McCoy.

Hm, yes, you're right. She did...meet him.

Curzon didn't meet Koloth until Koloth was much older, which is why (Jadzia) Dax was really excited in Trials and Tribble-ations about getting to see Koloth in his prime.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think it's a weird and unnecessary fourth-wall break that adds nothing to the film or the character and demonstrates callous insensitivity towards real LGBT people, such as George and Brad Takei.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Wow I didn't realize the time zones were that far ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I like the notion of Sulu as a Japanese guy who is obsessed with Western culture and will not shut up about his Euraboo hobbies.

• Locked thread