Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I got back from seeing the a few hours ago and my only real experience with Star Trek is the 2009 movie and the Plinkett reviews of it and the TNG films. So yeah, not a Trekkie, but I know what a Tribble is and I have respect for what made the franchise resonate with so many people back in the 40s, and what made TNG so great after it found its footing.

I loved the hell out of the 2009 movie. Sure it had its flaws, but the absolute perfect casting (I like Syler's Spock) and wonderful visual style made up for it. It wasn't a deep meditation on an ethical question, but I didn't need it to be. It was an awesome origin story, and seeing Kirk sit down in the chair at the end was wonderful.

So I actually had no idea this was coming out this summer until like a week ago. I had seen no trailer footage, all I knew was "Khan."

And I was psyched to see Pine's Kirk be forced to face the no-win scenario, see him cope with failure. I thought when Pike was telling Kirk about how he had gotten by on luck that we were going to get to see this.

But no, we got Kirk basically going through the same arc he did last time, except this time with a dramatic heroic sacrifice, and holy poo poo they really did do the KHAAAAN scream why would you do that.

I felt like the film was building towards a climactic battle with Khan that was a bit more nuanced, where he and Kirk would engage in a battle of wits via a starship battle and Kirk's gut and Spock's logic would play off each other to save the day. But nope, we got Spock and Khan punching each other on a fast moving thing miles above the ground because THAT'S EXCITING (no it isn't).

I am a lot less interested in Episode VII than I was this afternoon.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread