Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Really enjoyed this film, especially like the bit where a literal fascist is killed by a metaphor for fascism, who is then defeated by a bi-racial man and a black woman. I liked that for all Khan's bluster, savagery, and tactical acumen he was nowhere near as smart as he thought he was, and he essentially accomplished the exact opposite of his goals - he saved Kirk's life, restored the peaceful utopian ideals of the Federation, and was returned to the scrap heap of history where he belonged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Wouldn't you prefer a situation where he was more of a legitimate supergenius who was capable of out-smarting the Enterprise crew easily?

He is a legitimate supergenius - he is multiple steps ahead of Kirk and Marcus the whole time. But he's so arrogant in his superior intelligence that he never even considers Spock would triple-cross him with the torpedoes, so caught up in his own hype about being a savage that he discounts Kirk's willingness to sacrifice himself for his crew, and so focused on beating Spock to death that he's caught off guard by Uhura. He thinks purely in terms of weapons and killing, of being a stronger, "superior" warrior, and he's unable to adapt when those things are no longer an asset.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I was getting vaguely annoyed about people saying Into Darkness is a rejection of Old Trek, and I think I've figured out why it was bugging me: It's the other way round, a celebration of the influences of the older works, and this can be clearly seen by comparing the villains from the '09 film and ID.

I really like the analysis that keeps getting posted about Nero representing the hardcore fan who is so obsessed with canon that he'd rather kill the new series (Kirk) in it's allegorical cradle than allow it to flourish and become great on its own.

Compare this with Khan, who despite being a callback himself to the earlier series is the embodiment of every complaint leveled at the '09 film: More action oriented (shooting two guns at once, jumping around like a grasshopper), wearing all black, being employed by an unscrupulous authority to remake Starfleet with bigger ships, more weapons, and completely devoid of optimism or a spirit of scientific inquiry.

Khan represents a demonized version of Abrams, who coldly claims these new methods are better "at everything" and tries to use his bigger, faster ship to destroy the Enterprise (an idealized memory of Star Trek), and when that fails rams Earth in an attempt to destroy the Federation (Star Trek fans). He is at least partially defeated by Spock paying homage and seeking advice from a literal relic of the old series, and his plans are foiled in ways that mirror the past.

The message is that Abrams respects the source material while not being afraid to change things or put his own stamp on it, and I like the result.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

6 - Did he say why he hid people he wanted to save in weapons?

He was designing and building weapons for Section 31/Marcus, what else would he have hidden them in?

Alchenar posted:

This film just has the head of starfleet go insane for no reason at all. And start a conspiracy to change Starfleet despite the fact that he's already in charge and could just militarise in the open.

He's not insane though. He's wrong about a lot of things: the inevitability of war with the Klingon Empire, his ability to control Khan and manipulate Kirk, clearly his grasp of security procedures in the face of terrorism is lacking... But that's because he is a fascist who believes that because he has the will to change Starfleet and go to war that things will go his way. It's clearly one of the themes of the film - Marcus would like to be a monster, but Khan is so much better at it - from planning terrorist attacks to killing him on the bridge. Marcus would like to be a hero, but he lacks the moral fortitude of Kirk and his crew - prepared to go to war, but not prepared to make personal sacrifices to avoid it. He's wrong, and ultimately weak, but not insane.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Something that wouldn't get shot out a torpedo tube? Weapons facilities have other things besides weapons - storage facilities for materials, laboratories, etc.

I'm not sure where these torpedoes were stored, but since they were connected with the London research facility, they could have been there (and Admiral Marcus insinuates this.) Why blow it up?

Also - presumably Admiral Marcus doesn't know that the capsules have frozen supermen in them. But he knows that there were 72 popsicles, and there are 72 torpedoes. Nobody did the math? And if Marcus did know the contents of the capsules, why give them to the Enterprise at all? Once Khan went rogue, they serve no use to force Khan to create weapons. Either get rid of them or try thawing out someone else to see if they know how to build weapons.

Pretty sure Khan was under some time constraints and having to dodge surveillance when he was trying to get his crew out, making an imperfect, unconventional solution perfectly understandable.

He blew up the research facility as the opening strike in his war on Marcus/Starfleet that he began after he thought his crew were already dead. He did not know the torpedoes were still intact.

Marcus gave the torpedoes to Kirk for potentially varying reasons:

1: He knew that they contained Khan's crew, and wanted to kill him in an ironic, theatrical way. He would do this because he learned about atrocity from Khan, who loves flashy demonstrations.

2: He didn't know they had Khan's crew in them, and merely believed they were long range, pinpoint accurate torpedoes developed for assassination by his pet monster.

Also, if he thaws out another one then he'd have twice as many rogue tyrants fighting a covert war against him. Marcus isn't a complete idiot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

This movie needed more 15 minute scenes of them just showing the Enterprise from every angle.

Every time the Enterprise rises up out of something (Titan's atmosphere, an alien sea, or a cloud layer on Earth) it is like sweet music to my eyes.

octoroon posted:

This, but unironically. It looks drat good and I'm not ashamed.

:hfive:

moths posted:

Enterprise exterior shots. More or less gratuitous than Alice Eve's underwear?

Scotty posted:

She is one well-endowed lady. I'd like to get my hands on her "ample nacelles," if you pardon the engineering parlance.

:pervert:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I can't remember, did anyone other than Spock ever use Khan's full name? Harrison called himself Khan, but what if it's all bullshit? What if Khan is a title rather than a name for the Augments? What if Khan Noonien Singh was peacefully sleeping in one of those crytubes the whole time, or is loose in the Federation hatching a big 'ol plot? :tinfoil:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Roquentin posted:

The first time that guy with the robot voice and cyborg poo poo in the back of his skull spoke I burst out laughing in the theater and wanted to die.

That's kind of an extreme reaction. Why did a dude with cyborg parts drive you to suicidal ideation?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Roquentin posted:

Well I felt like an rear end in a top hat.

That's probably appropriate, mocking the prosthesis of a man with severe brain injuries like that is deeply uncool.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

And this is one of many examples where RLM misses the mark. Sometimes they'll really think about what's going on in a film, and other times they seem to just half rear end it and just say whatever. Khan being a dangerous rear end in a top hat has nothing to do with his feelings for his crew, which are consistent throughout the film. He never stops worrying about the safety of his crew, and when they detonate the torpedoes on the Vengeance he freaks out.

To play devil's advocate: It's just as plausible that Khan doesn't give a poo poo about his crew, only says he does to manipulate Kirk's sympathies, and is angry when the torpedoes detonate because they've wrecked his nice new ship.

I don't think it's the case, but it is a valid reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Batham posted:

Where the hell were all you guys complaining about white-washing when Idris Elba played Heimdall?

On Stormfront, mostly.

• Locked thread