Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Smart people like Khan? Why didn't he defrost them when he had access to them, and unsupervised otherwise they wouldn't have ended up in the torpedo tubes in the first place?

It was Admiral Robocop who put the frozen people into the torpedo tubes, not Khan. There's a dramatic conversation between Khan and Kirk when they are back on the Enterprise where Khan desperately asks how many torpedoes they are on-board. Kirk says "72" and Khan immediately realises that his people are inside the torpedoes.
The Admiral put them in the torpedoes so that he could send Kirk to blow up Khan and all of his people at the same time, which is a bit over the top really. That's what I remember anyway.

pinkacidbootson fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

Doesn't that happen on Kronos, right after the Klingon fight? Isn't the surrender how they get them on board the Enterprise at all?

Yes you're right; I just got the location mixed up. Still, it's clear that Khan didn't know about the contents of the torpedoes until he heard the number 72.

pinkacidbootson fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 28, 2013

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

api call girl posted:

No, Khan tells Kirk he put his people inside the torpedoes (somehow) so he could try to smuggle them out. This is a lie because his plan was never to smuggle them OUT. You cannot smuggle out munitions. You smuggle them onto the nearest newest available big and badass warship, which Khan does know about. Once Khan had to make his escape he does not know what exactly Marcus did with the missiles (a good assumption here is Marcus took them back out, killed them, and refueled the missile pods). That is, until he hears that the Enterprise is carrying all 72 of them.

Of course, what Marcus thought Kirk would do with 72 long range missiles that DON'T HAVE ANY FUEL is open to question. Presumably he figured the Klingons would have gotten Kirk while Kirk was stuck in space with nonfunctional warp and nonfunctional weapons.

I'm getting confused now. I thought that each missile contained a body and fuel, since McCoy got his hand stuck in one and almost got blown up.

I think I need to watch it again!

pinkacidbootson fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread