Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
I was watching some season 7 DS9 and what occurred to me was that it'd be amazing to have a Star Trek movie depict the true horrors of starship or even planetary combat. In DS9 they throw these numbers of 7 million and 10 million casualties at you, but they never truly let those numbers sink in. They also never depict just how truly horrifying it is to die either in a planetary attack or a starship battle. Actually, none of the Star Trek series focus on that, either due to censorship or budget concerns. All you get is some canned starship explosion (and actually, in DS9's defense, space battles became a lot better in seasons 6 and 7, where ships didn't just blow up in a giant fireball, but you actually had debris flying around) and maybe some glum looking Starfleet officer letting you know the latest number of casualties.

I'm sure this trend isn't going to be bucked in the upcoming film, since I guess "wahoo space battles are fun and enjoyable" sells more tickets than "war is hell", but it'd be nice if the next time Star Trek broached an epic, civilization-spanning conflict such as the Dominion war anytime soon that they'd properly depict what it truly means to be on the front lines, both in space and on colonies. DS9 certainly tried doing that a couple times, what with Jake Sisko playing reporter/medic's assistant on that one planet and then Nog playing brave soldier on that other planet, but ehhh... both attempts came across as really hollow. I think the only way to do them justice would be to either depict them in a movie or in some sort of lenient TV series along the lines of HBO or Showtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Show something other than consoles exploding and people flying from their chairs? Because that's literally the extent of space battles in Star Trek series so far. Maybe some non-redshirt crewmember would be like "oh god we have breaches on levels 2 and 7 but it's ok, the containment fields are holding", but yeah, that's about it.

edit: Sorry, are you asking what more could happen in a conflict between starships in space? Because there are certainly more interesting ways to depict starship combat than "blammo, console explodes, Major Kira flies backwards but is helped by Lt. Worf to escape pod" and I don't know if the Star Trek 09 really touched upon them. Then again, I guess maybe it's hard to depict the fragility of the human body when 75% of the bridge crew needs to survive because they're "the good guys" and all the people that die are random redshirts. I guess trying to apply an aesthetic of something like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan to something as inherently glamorous as Star Trek doesn't really work. It'd be nice if it did, though.

edit: vv - hmm, I don't remember those moments. I really should watch ST09 again, it's been a couple of years.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 20, 2013

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Yeah, I guess I'm a bit out of date on ST09, I'll re-watch it again soon. Stuff like ST 1979 is what I'm talking about though. That transporter accident was pretty horrifying and yet I think (barring ST09, which I obviously can't speak for anymore) it's the only truly horrifying moment in Star Trek movies. A lot of horrifying poo poo can happen out in space, though, is what my point was, I guess.

And Cingulate, I didn't mean that I wanted a ST movie that showed "war was stupid", just something to show the true meaning of an all-out war. I have a feeling that if DS9 were released today, it'd have a closer aesthetic to Battlestar Galactica in terms of grittiness, subject matter, etc. (seeing as Ronald D. Moore was pretty involved in DS9 especially in latter seasons), but as it stands today, the Dominion War is more characterized by its interpersonal drama between Sisko, Dukat, Odo, that other changeling, etc. than it is by its sheer magnitude.

Anyway, I'll shut up since this veers pretty close to TV talk. I think having a nice intergalactic war as its main storyline would make for a pretty bomb-rear end Star Trek trilogy, though.

edit:

Cingulate posted:

No, I thought you had meant you wanted to see a "War is hell" movie whose message was that war is hell, in space. And I wondered how you thought such a movie would benefit from being set in space?

Oh, I see. No, I don't think having a preachy "war is hell" message would be that fitting for Star Trek, but at the same time, I'd like for them to depict in better detail that land battles in the current era aren't just dirty space marines with a bandaged arm acting all gritty and badass, just like how space battles aren't consoles exploding and people flying from their chairs. From what you guys have said, ST09 seems to have added a bit more weight at least to the space battle side of it, so my points are kinda moot.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 20, 2013

• Locked thread