Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Isn't there a Star Wars ep. VII thread? If not, maybe it's time.

Back to the topic, since Countdown into Darkness refers to the Star Trek Ongoing comic series, is it safe to assume that Ongoing is canon? (If so, I've got some catching up to do!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I kind of hated Star Trek 2009, and based on all the whining and nitpicking I was fully expecting to hate this one too.

Instead, I loved it!

My main problem with ST09 was that the overall plot was basically "Here's this new bad guy. He's doing bad things. Let's kill him! OK, roll credits." (If anyone wants to tell me I'm missing something there, I'm willing to listen.) This one, on the other hand, was surprisingly explicit in its condemnation of the darker, war-like side of Starfleet. It reminded me of what I liked about the TV shows - that these people are reflecting on their own choices, and always striving to become better.

(The fact that it did so without involving any time travel is also a bonus. Enterprise's "Temporal Cold War" made me sick of all time travel stories, and ST09 didn't reverse that a bit.)

I'm sure there are plot holes, continuity contradictions, and all that stuff. There always is, with this series. Right now, having received the first dose of good, live-action Star Trek in years, I just don't feel like dissecting the movie for flaws yet. I'm too excited right now - Star Trek is back!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Who was the person who took over Chekov's station? Did she have a name in the credits, or the script? Has she been in the comics?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Cojawfee posted:

IMDB says "Navigation Officer Darwin" played by Aisha Hinds.

Thanks!

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

bullet3 posted:

its frustrating when the common reaction seems to be "it's great, just turn your brain off, its a summer movie, what do you expect".

The common (positive) reaction here has been something like "it's pleasantly explicit about condemning Starfleet's militarism and also has meaningful parallels to our own current events". Did you miss all that discussion in this thread?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Was this mentioned in the comics or something?

Yes, in Star Trek: Nero.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tony Montana posted:

Lots of us are with you, don't worry. Don't worry about the venom some of these guys are spitting, you'll see it's a consistent theme in the thread :)

I'll post the Red Letter Media review for a second time in this thread. It nicely explains, at length, and all the sperglord detail you'd want, why this is a stupid loving movie.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-star-trek-into-darkness/

Hey SuperMechagodzilla, you called me out before about this film. Have you watched the above review? I've read some great threads and posts by you, man, but are you actually defending this film? What is your take on the review I've linked?

Is it OK if I defend a movie without having to watch/refute a 45-minute video review?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tony Montana posted:

Ok, but none of that applies to me. I thought the pace was silly and prevented anything actually interesting happening.

I though Spock showing a complete lack of regard for his own life, then having an emotional breakdown at the (apparent) death of Kirk and pursuing Khan with lethal intent was pretty interesting stuff. Kirk & Co. blatantly violating the Prime Directive in the beginning was pretty interesting, too, and Starfleet becoming much more militaristic after Nero was also a compelling idea. I don't think the pacing interfered with any of that.

Tony Montana posted:

I thought the interactions of the 'comic book characters' (as RLM puts it) were simple and boring, Spock blurts out about something being illogical, Kirk just yells at everyone, what does McCoy even do besides spout dumb metaphors?

The interactions between the characters, especially Scotty and Kirk this time around, and Kirk and Spock, are what made the themes of this particular movie clear. Please explain how "Kirk just yells at everyone" is even remotely true - I don't see where you're getting that from.

Tony Montana posted:

As said in the RLM review, why even bother with ranks in Starfleet? Obviously the mark of a true leader and hero is someone that ignores all authority and take matters into his own hands when he sees fit. This was a major part of the plot of Search for Spock, Kirk going against Starfleet and the ramifications were huge. The problem when you have such flimsy rules and ideas behind your film is that when you once again hand-wave them away to facilitate then next tit-shot, is it gets really boring because we're obviously just in magical plot land and anything goes.

The idea of standing against corrupt authority has consistently been expressed across the entire Star Trek franchise. That's part of what makes this movie feel like genuine Star Trek to me.

Tony Montana posted:

But yeah, obviously linking a well respected source with valid critism nicely packaged for your consumption isn't what you're looking for.

Go and watch the RLM review, I really don't see how I could say it any better than they already have.

Again, 45-minute video. I'll probably watch it sometime. Still, I've already posted in this thread about why STID was a pleasant surprise for me, and nothing you're telling me about the RLM video makes it sound like it will change my mind.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'm beginning to think that we're seeing two different kinds of Star Trek fan here.

The first type of fan wants to see a well-built fictional universe, founded on consistent rules. The rules may be highly unrealistic compared to our world, but if they are followed consistently in the stories then that's all well and good. These are the people who can't look past plot holes and inconsistencies; they don't want to, and they shouldn't have to.

The second type like Star Trek because of the society it portrays, and the morals it endorses. They liked hearing Kirk openly espouse the moral of the episode, and everyone becoming more enlightened as a result. They also like any occasion in which the crew has to struggle to decide the right action where there is no clear solution. This type of fan is absolutely willing to look past plot holes and inconsistencies, so long as the right ideals can win out.

From what I can see in the thread, and among people I know IRL, the second type of fan really likes this movie, but the first type does not.

Of course, there's probably lots of "types" of Star Trek fan out there - I'm just categorizing what I've seen recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
What gave you the bad idea to start with Nemesis?

• Locked thread