Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You know what I just thought would be absolutely hilarious, after hearing that line about family, and thinking about the reported Hospital scene in the nine minute preview?

What if, after all the speculation of Cumberbatch being Khan or Gary Mitchell, in the end, it turns out he's actually A disguised Sybok?

It would almost be worth it just to see people lose their goddamn minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

A human heart posted:

Surely this could be seen as revealing something about the true nature of the federation? That they claim to come in peace and are utopian and all that but they're actually forcing their utopia on other races.

I don't think this ever actually happens though? In most cases that I remember, whenever a species tells the Enterprise to gently caress off they tend to actually comply pretty easily unless there's some sort of living right getting stomped on.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I wonder why anyone would ever make a spaceship that looks like that. Every other mining vessel in all of Star Trek looks decidedly less sinister.

It looks like that because Romulans.

In all seriousness, I kind of like the idea that it looks so spiky and weird because it opens up like a flower to literally eat asteroids by cutting them up and using tractor beams to pull the valuable ore into the cargo bay. A stretch, certainly, but I personally like it better than "random-rear end miner somehow convinces Romulan scientists to retrofit his ship with borg technology."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, everyone remembers the Kirk-Uhura kiss, but its easy to forget that it was shown on national prime-time television in an era where doing so could very easily get you killed in many parts of the US. There was also the one episode of DS9 with Dax's past wife that pissed off a lot of stupid people.

Jack Gladney posted:

Star Trek is hardcore, except for its hilariously over-the-top sexism.

On a related note, there's apparently an interview with Nichelle Nichols floating around somewhere where she reveals that - despite the common knowledge of Gene being a comically persistent lecher - the infamous barely-rear end-covering miniskirts were the female cast's idea, not his.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Instead we got Thor.

Ramming your ship into a giant space acorn to save dozens of people does seem like a surefire way of landing a spot in valhalla.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

well why not posted:

I rewatched ST09 for the first time in ages. Kirk gets about 12 head wounds, six in the bar fight, one knockout from spock, hits his head once and a handful of hits during the romulan fights. I hope they keep hitting him in the sequel, it's pretty funny that Kirk is still crap at fighting when everyone else is on hollywood level. My other wish is that Chris Pine gets increasingly overweight throughout the series, but that's less likely.

I'm kind of hoping that at some point in Pines run as Kirk there's a moment where he's getting his as handed to him, he suddenly has an "eureka" moment where he puts his hands together in the classic trek Double Fist Slam, and turns the tide.

Yes, it would be indefensively retarded, but its a reboot-cum-sequel of a franchise legendary for terrible fight choreography and it would be absolutely hilarious.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I assume the reason would be someone said they can't in some episode or other.

Warping in a solar system is said to be generically dangerous in TMP, though they never really say why and its only ever mentioned when it adds tension anyway. Mind, this is when half impulse could get you past Jupiter in a minute or so.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Plus if it's half as cool as "The Adama Maneuver" it'll be worth it, technobable be damned.

Half as cool, nothing. BSG ships just poof, Star Trek ships actually are moving that fast. If they actually do it and the VFX department pulls it off right, it would look :black101: as gently caress.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Why doesn't the Enterprise ever go plaid?

You . . . You have seen The Motion Picture, right?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Rhyno posted:

This is true but the comics are still very bad.

The only part of Countdown that isn't loving terrible is the justification they give for the romulans being inked the gently caress up, which was kind of interesting but doesn't make up for the rest of it being everything terrible in Star Trek summed up in short order.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Blistex posted:

Hahahaha! Oh my god! Borg, timetravel. . . please tell me the comics were 99% Data shenanigans to complete the trifecta.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

To be perfectly honest, while it isn't a bad film, the more I think about it the more things I feel weren't very well done at all. The actors are woefully underutilized, it alternates between making painfully transparent references to the rest of the franchise and disregarding the franchise, and in general a lot of the choices they made just seem mystifying at best. And yes, you can roll eyes and say it was all in service of making an "entertaining blockbuster," to which I say gently caress you, you can have an entertaining action plot that also holds itself against scrutiny, having a certain ratio of explosions:not explosions is no excuse for lazy writing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

1st AD posted:

The series finale to DS9 is literally one giant deux ex machina, and that show is beloved by hardcore Trek fans. Actually the pilot is the exact same way too. To criticize STID for this is pretty laughable.

The difference being that the Emmissary plot is one facet of a seven-season show and wasn't even the primary focus of the finale, which both the writers and fans acknowledge as being mishandled.

It also probably isn't a good idea to bring up DS9 as a point of comparison, since it literally did almost everything STID was trying to do far better, in the 90's, on a lower budget.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

1st AD posted:

I really can't agree that 5/6 of the original Star Trek films are good to great. I feel like the only film that even tries to be groundbreaking is TMP and that one is marred by really bad editing.

(I love the cinematography and styling of that film, but very few people agree with me :smith: ).

piratepilates posted:

:unsmith: You're not alone buddy, you're not alone.

It's just such a pleasant film to look at with the sets, the stepping stones they walk across to get to V'Ger at the end is such an awesome shot to me.

TMP is an absolutely gorgeous film and, visually, is only really let down by the costume design. The story behind the editing is sad as hell, they basically had to rush a workprint to theaters. Star Trek as a whole is generally let down by cinematographers rarely willing to take risks and show the material for what it could be, and TMP was a happy exception even if it did have other flaws.

MisterBibs posted:

My DS9 viewing is spotty, but didn't they go the "You need S31 because the Federation can't exist without us!" route?

Not really. they pretty implicitly put it out there that S31 only continues to exist because S31 actively prolongs their existence. I mean, the Dominion War is ultimately brought to an end by a character risking life and limb to cure the Dominion leadership of a bioweapon S31 developed and showing that idealism will trump cynicism in the process, it's pretty heavily shown that they cause more trouble than they solve.

On directorchat, it may be absolutely insane to ponder, but I'm kind of curious as to what would happen if you let Nicolas Winding Refn direct the next movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 20, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

You're calling it hilariously uptight, I'm calling it funny and campy. Are we still disagreeing here?

If you seriously think that voyager qualifies as fun camp, I legitimately feel bad for you for being so utterly deprived of humor and silliness in your life. Flash Gordon is fun camp, Voyager is a poorly written show with flat characters and a pathological fear of taking any sort of risk.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, Nthing the criticism of the Nimoy Hotline here. I honestly don't get why they felt that was necessary, I would have vastly preferred if they found out about Khan the same way they did in the original episode, re: someone looks him up in the ships historical archives and puts the pieces together just a little too late. The scene in the movie is, in my opinion, the low point.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

1st AD posted:

Benicio del Toro was originally cast for the role, then declined.

Benicio Del Toro is not the only nonwhite film star in the world.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

The movie barely noted this, but Khan was a dictator in the 1990s whos rule spanned a quarter of the Earth.

This is another part of why I feel they should have ditched the Old Spock scene and done someone doing an archive binge instead to find out who Khan is. They tell you "this guy is superhuman, he's dangerous and evil" but they don't give you reasons why he is, just Old Spock's word on the subject. Contrast how it would have been if they played it similar to how Space Seed did the reveal, a burning, extended "oh poo poo" moment when someone is listing off all the atrocities Khan is responsible for, and how he's as arrogant as he is because in a world ruled by supermen, he was the most brutal and ruthless of them all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Why doesn't the Federation use genetic engineering to uplift itself? For a its Sci-Fi trappings post-TOS Trek seems so reactionary and bland and beige. They don't act like beings who have replicators and holodecks.

Khan was explicitly the least comically evil of the eugenics wars tyrants, and when he was rescued by a benign starship that just wanted to lend a helping hand, it was his immediate impulse to take the ship by force so he could go conquer a slice of the galaxy. Literally, the first words he tells his revived crew is something along the lines of "this time, we're not fighting to take over the world, we're fighting to take over THE UNIVERSE" *dramatic musical sting*

Also, on a more ethical level, you run into the Gattaca problem, as you're effectively removing agency from a child when you pre-ordain their genetic strengths and weaknesses. The classical question, of course, being that you've created a child with the genetic potential to be the most skilled pianist the world has ever known, what do you think will happen when he tells his parents that he doesn't give a poo poo about the piano and wants to be a firefighter?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mrit posted:

Old Khan had his years of experience on the surface of a dying planet. He was consumed with anger at Kirk, which was his sole driving factor.

He's talking about Khan's first appearance, when Kirk wakes him up on the Botany Bay and Khan nearly takes the Enterprise over in less than 24 hours with nothing more than force of personality and quick thinking.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Speaking as someone who thought STID was a pretty average film at best with a lot of problems, I don't really understood the criticism of how the Enterprise is always the only ship in the sector. I mean, this isn't TNG where they have magic factory boxes that can poo poo out fully built spaceships with the press of a button, interstellar starships are probably a pretty big investment of time and resources best used for, you know, interstellar exploration rather than chilling in orbit around Earth waiting for some invasion fleet or giant black space dildo or unsubtle communist metaphor to roll in.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It actually kind of makes realworld sense to hide something in Jupiter's orbit, the whole area around Jupiter in real life is choked with massive amounts of radiation that would kill anything without shielding, and presumably impede any sort of crazy space sensors unless they were specifically searching the area.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No, it's exactly as stupid.

Answer me this, what purpose was served by casting Cumberbatch, one of the whitest actors around, as a character who is textually Sikh instead of an actor who can at least look the part, if not match the characters ethnicity? "Strength of performance" is not a valid answer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My perspective is "pick your battles".

So if depriving nonwhite actors of the chance to play an iconic nonwhite character is not a battle worth fighting, what exactly is?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

Why not? A movie is supposed to entertain, and if Cumberbatch delivered an entertaining performance, then the casting was a success.

It's not acceptable because while Cumberbatch delivered a competent performance, it really wasn't enough of a knock-it-out-of-the-park act to really justify a "holy poo poo I don't care what color he is, GIVE HIM THE ROLE" sort of situation.

His non-whiteness is nonsensical and gratuitous

Explain this one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

While its true that Magic and Advanced technology serve similar narrative purposes more often than not, the main thematic difference to understand is that magic, when used, is explicitly identified as making the impossible possible, whereas advanced technology is used as a shorthand for knowledge man has not yet come to understand, and the difference, while small, comes with a fuckton of weighty implication: the former is by its nature defiance of understood consistency, while the latter implies an internal consistency to exist, however alien it may be. When magic enters into a story, the audience is conditioned to believe that magic can do anything except what it is explicitly stated to be unable of doing, such as the Genie in aladdin needing to define that he cannot bring the dead back to life, etc. Advanced technology on the other hand is expected by the audience to only be able to do what it is shown to do. When the DeLorean gains the ability to fly it's explicitly the result of modifications made in the future, and if this had not been implied people would have lost their poo poo because being able to fly has no bearing or relation to the DeLorean's primary utility of time travel. When Gandalf suddenly generates a force field that the Balrog cannot penetrate despite never displaying that capability before, nobody cares because it's Gandalf, he's a loving wizard, do you know what the limits on wizards are because I sure loving don't.

To put it in more succinct terms, Sci Fi runs on the justification of "this is impossible by our understanding, but we don't understand everything, do we?" while fantasy runs on the justification of "This is impossible, but magic doesn't give a gently caress." The difference is effectively an illusion, yes, something with no practical bearing on the events and themes of a story unless directly addressed, but the smallest things often make the biggest difference.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Snak posted:

PLUS HE TOOK THE FUEL OUT OF THE TORPEDOES SO HOW WOULD THEY EVEN HAVE WORKED. That is the biggest problem I have with the movie, so much hinges on those torpedoes and not a single thing about how they are used both to hide people in and be torpedoes made any sense.

Really, people are quick to shut down accusations of "plot hole" as just nerds being nerds, but Into Darkness legitimately suffers from multiple points where it fails to maintain internal consistency within its own runtime and it suffers as a result.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

lizardman posted:

I also wonder how Benicio Del Toro would have played it.

Doctor Gonzo in space.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Corek posted:

Also T&A hasn't never been a profitable element to Star Trek, except maybe some Enterprise episodes (I'll never see them).

William Ware Theiss would have some strong words for you on that subject if he wasn't dead as poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Let's put these women in incredibly short skirts that they must constantly adjust because that would be a practical clothing choice for exploring the universe.

My favorite story about that is how Nichelle Nichols claims that the female cast requested the skirts be so loving short, and you can apparently see her actively hiking them up higher in the background of shots she's in.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

There's definitely something very worth notice about how a character that was portrayed by a person of color during the height of the civil rights movement was recast as the whitest man alive without a second thought in a time where people will, unironically, insist that Racism Is Over.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Snak posted:

Well they tried to cast a Puerto Rican...

Benicio Del Toro is not the only nonwhite actor in Hollywood and I'm not sure why people bring one failed casting up as if it's an excuse.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

They're so cheap. I think I read they're so cheap because they were initially made for the Star Trek Phase II pilot that was eventually adapted into the Motion Picture. I can't believe no on eat any point wasn't like "just stick with the old uniform." Not that I'd always want them to, just the Motion Picture ones are so terrible. The jump from them to Wrath of Khan is amazing.

Surprisingly, no. Phase II was actually going to use uniforms that were extremely close to the TOS ones, it was Robert Wise who made them use the space jumpsuits.because he wanted muted colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

McDowell posted:

The movie is about a socialist utopia

The climax of the movie is the personification of anti-communist rhetoric that was the American Space Race literally refusing to recognize the now-socialist earth as its home.

• Locked thread