Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Well, there's no horribly dense jargon but there is extreme over-analyzing! To be honest though, I haven't actually watched any Transformer anything, so, uh, yeah

Yeah, fancy the nerve of that poster trying to analyze a set of popular films on a film discussion board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FrensaGeran posted:

Exactly. Racism is walking the other side of the sidewalk because you saw a group of black men walking towards you. Replace those black guys with Klingons and you're probably seen as a heads up individual with a preference for not being stabbed.

It's ok because klingons really are bloodthirsty murderers? What the hell?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Some Other Guy posted:

I get that it's a cool visual but could you explain the conceptual value to me? I don't see how this is some sort of visual metaphor for something.

Film is made up almost entirely of visual metaphors. It's not as if it's a real spaceship that someone just happened to capture on film. What ideals does the Enterprise represent? With just a trailer it's difficult to know what the water here is, but there's tons of things it could be.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What awful poo poo? The discussion of what things mean in a film? I'm sorry if I'm not interested in the in universe canonical explanation for why the enterprise can't go underwater and the filmmakers are idiots or whatever the main discussion in here is.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 13, 2012

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

Why the hell does the flagship of an major organization look decrepit and militaristic? Hey guys we come in peace. Don't mind the fact that our ship looks rather mean and nasty looking.

Surely this could be seen as revealing something about the true nature of the federation? That they claim to come in peace and are utopian and all that but they're actually forcing their utopia on other races.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

I think the refit from TMP looks huge because they spend 10 goddamn minutes doing flybys of it at the start of the film.

And then of course later on when they're inside V'ger the thing is like an ant in someone's car or something.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Maybe even genetic supermen can have emotions and human qualities like hubris???

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Well, at least the producers did think about it though! This chart uses velocities that were given for each value of warp in the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual.

This image is peak fandom, saying absolutely nothing at all with a poo poo ton of words.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

With the life giving blood thing I hope they just go the whole hog and make Khan a Jesus figure.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cellophane S posted:

Lindelof is a master of setting things up but not so good at resolving them

Star Trek 2009 I feel is an exception in his ouevre.

It's almost like he's exploring a lack of clear cut answers as a theme or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Abrams has repeated in a few interviews that it's basically a "cool thing" that he likes. It's purely stylistic. And really, for people that like it, I suppose that's enough. I think this is the most verbose he's been on the subject: http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous

I don't know, I know I can be a pedant, but "looks cool" is a perfectly reasonable justification for doing something or shooting a certain way as far as I am concerned. It's purely subjective, but (shrug). I don't see the need to assign cosmic meaning to it or any real metaphorical significance other than "the future is shiny."

Who cares what he said in some interview, watch the movie and figure out what it means.

• Locked thread